Hi Point 40sw to 45acp conversion

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Scrapinolds, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Scrapinolds

Scrapinolds Member

Has anyone here done a 40 to 45 swap? I swapped out the barrels, cut off the lip on the bullet follower on the magazine, and took out the spacer for the 40 in the magazine. I wonder if the 40 and 45 have a different recoil spring? If anyone knows the 45, what color recoil spring is in it? The 40 has a dark blue. I wanted to change it because of ammo commonality with another gun I have, a Colt 1917 45acp revolver.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its $180 to just buy the .45. Do it right.

3. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    Why? By the time you make it work, you could have just sold the 40 and bought a 45. No muss, no fuss and no risk of something you did turning your gun into scrap metal. Or a bomb.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    First of all,
    :welcome: to HPFF!!!

Second, JUST BUY IT!!! :rofl:

JHP, $142 here ;)

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    PS: An HPFF old timer that wanted to make a C9 into the
    CF380 got the same (or MORE!) Grief that you are getting :D

6. Scrapinolds

Scrapinolds Member

Some people like to tinker!

7. Scrapinolds

Scrapinolds Member

Tinkering can make a junk or make something better, never know til you try.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

That's great if you're dealing with Legos or something. If you don't know what you're doing, "tinkering" can become dead, with a firearm.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Used as in 1 round fired you can buy one for $100 and its warrantied for life. Just saying welcome be safe

10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I converted a CF380 to a C9. It was an easy conversion. I had failures to extract, called Hi Point and told them what I did, told them what I thought the problem was, and could I buy an extractor. Told me to hold on I needed to talk to a technician. Went through the whole thing again with him, he agreed with me and sent me the extractor along with all the other parts that went with the slide. Would not take my credit card information.

Why did I do it? Because I wanted to! I could have bought a new C9, around here they go for about $150, and I still can if I want to and change mine back to a CF380, or not! FWIW, I have about $95 in my "C9"

I don't see why a conversion from JCP to JHP would be more difficult. I would not mess with the magazines. I would think you would need a new follower. Just buy some. Hi Point mags are cheap enough and jou are going to want several anyway!

Lots of folk will modify their guns, Just a look on this forum will net a bunch of them, mostly cosmetic, but a lot of fluff and buff and changing of form factor, and not just Hi Points!. Even hear talk about building AR,s. I guess I just don't understand all the angst about converting a Hi Point. It's much easier than building an AR.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Sure, that sounds easier than buying one :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    :D This is the guy I was talking about :D

:confused:
    Neither is "that hard" but your CF to C9 was harder than an AR, imo...
    What's easier than spending a few $$$? All you did was short yourself
    one new HP... you could have had a C9 AND a CF! :eek:
    What you need to do now is get another frame and FINALLY have 2 guns.
    As opposed to One and a Half! :p

The only upside, imo, is that you can prolly troubleshoot either weapon
    quite easily. So that is worth something! I know, see the avatar :eek:

12. Scrapinolds

Scrapinolds Member

I have bought a 45mag. I had not thought about the extractor might be different on the 45 so that brings up a good point. Thanks for the advice. I always think stock sucks on cars and have tinkered with many things in my life, more times than not successfully. I will most likely buy a new 45, but I still will tinker with this one until I get the conversion right just for the learning process of it. Numerich gun parts only shows one part number for the recoil spring on the JHP frame or the c9 frames for that matter.

13. Scrapinolds

Scrapinolds Member

Thanks greg_r for some thoughts on your build.

14. mellon

mellon Member

why not just buy the 45. they are 139.00 here in Texas. I solved all issues by just owning one of each. C9,380,45,40.

15. greg_r

I can tell you with certainty that there is a huge difference between the CO and CF380 recoil springs. The C9 spring is much stiffer. Different color also. I expect the same between the JHP and JCP also.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    That may not be true, the 40, while a lighter bullet, has a higher overall
    HIGHER Muzzle Energy in most loads. Average 180g 40 S&W exceeds
    velocity and ME in the average 185g 45 ACP loads. :eek: JCP spring
    might be a bit stiffer, which would be OK for the 45 in many cases.
    Maybe even +P and 45 Super loads ;)

Check with MOM! :cool:

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    I guess I could "check" on the recoil spring colors...
    So darn busy, don't hold your BREATH! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. greg_r

You may be correct. I was figuring the JCP springs would be stronger. High pressure round and all.