Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I have a C9 which I love and 995 fired once awaiting better than zero degree weather. Now, I need to be talked into the Hi Point 45 ACP. I don't plan on making the 45 ACP a plinking gun, but a once in a while run to the range. Am I going to be as satisfied with it as I am with the C9?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have both the C9 and the JHP. The JHP is my favorite and shoots better groups for me. If ammo for it wasn't twice the price of the 9mm I'd shoot it alot more. Getting into reloading so I can shoot it more.

Go ahead and get it, you'll love it, and you know you want it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the .380, JHP .45 and a 995. I love the 995 it is just fun. Between the two pistols the JHP is without question my favorite. I took my wife shooting today for the first time, (I bought the .380 for her as a starter pistol) She had a huge smile after blasting the crap out of 5 gallon bucket with the JHP she liked it more then the .380

G

·
Took my new JHP to the range yesterday for the first time.....I couldn't be more pleased with it..... And for a .45acp the recoil was a lot less then my old 9mm Astra P-90..... 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
45acp is EASY to reload. Press and dies cost about a hundred bucks. Start collecting your brass now, its where you save your money. Bullets you can pick and choose what you want but generally are under 20 cents each. Primers are generally 3 cents and powder can vary by brand but the powder i use is under 2 cents. So its 25 cents a round or 25 bucks for 100. I just priced them at 21 bucks for a box of 50.(magtech) So it would take 200 rounds to make back the money on the press and dies. How many times can you reuse the brass? depends on how you load it, your gun you put them into, and the maker of the brass to begin with. I've talked to guys that have 15 reloads on the same brass, but they start going over them with a magnifying lens after the 10th reload. YMMV

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Comments appreciated. Local gun show coming up in late March. I just received the Lee reloading catalog and they claim that a case "can be reloaded up to 100 times". I am going to start reloading 9mm. The factory ammo may be cheap but it is what I have plenty off and the spent brass will be free.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Vtjozev,

I'm not so sure about the 100 time reloading the same brass. Most of the comments I've seen suggest it is more in the 10-12 times? I can't attest to that from personal experience as I'm just getting set up to relaod. I would inspect the brass very closely above the 10-12 times suggested, especially if you plan on loading hot loads. SW or S_V or some of the other guys are much more experienced relaoders and can address this more from experience. It would be nice to reload the same brass that many times!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
VTjozev... JUST DO IT! If you can budget it w/o financial ruin then it's a MUST.

fallout's advice on reloading sounds good, answers some questions I had when i was dragging my boxes of reloads away from the gun show this weekend. I saves $4-5 less than factory... i started wondering :cantlook: ...if i can do it at the prices he suggests then even plinking isn't out of the question.... :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
85 Posts
have not shot the c9 or the .380, but i luv my .45. no problems at all so far with around 200rds thru it. can't speak for reloading, although i wish i hd the time and room to do it. get the .45 and fling some lead. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Amen! Preach it brutha!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'll be reloading 45ACP with 230g LRN bullet that I cast myself. Estimating $35.00/lb fpr powder and $35.00/1000 primers and reusing spent brass my cost per round is 7 cents or $3.50/box. Box of Remington UMC costs me about $20.50. Reloading will save me $17.00/box. At that cost all my press, dies, mold, pot, etc, costs will be recouped in 14 boxes or 7 days shooting as I usually put 100 rounds through the JHP each time I go shoot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hello I have a Highpoint .45 JHP and it is the THE best pistol I have shot, In the army I used the M9 berretta, it was ok, I have also had a revolver that was horrible. I wanted a good reliable pistol I could not break the bank buying, this fit the bill perfectly, The pistol is a little heavy but I knew that when I bought it, My wife who cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a 12 gauge hit the target with some nice shot groups. She complained about the weight of it so I am looking into a smaller caliber for her, maybe the 380, she loved shooting which makes me happy. I agree about the ammo, it costs me about 20 bucks for 50 rounds at the local target range, I have put 150 rounds without touching it and no jams. Just put a laser sight on it too. I recommended it to all my friends.

G

·
First of all,
Thanks for being in the military.
Second, The 380 and the 9mm are the same size gun .
It comes down to ammo.What can you find and how much is it going to cost.
9mm seems to be more common but hard to find and is not that bad in price.
380 I think is more expensive than 9mm if you can find it.Correct me someone if I'm wrong.
I enjoy my 2 C9's a lot. I have the JHP .45 and it is a handfull and expensive to shoot.
Good luck.
I'm still working on the wife to go shooting.

Rich

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got a JCP .40 and it's dreamy. I actually swoon with delight when I unload it and I like the 10 round capacity. With the slide weighing so much, the recoil on the .40 short and wimpy is nothing at all, but it definitely packs more punch than the 9mm at a price point and weight loaded slightly under the .45.

Now I just want a JHP to compare the two! Donations anyone? :angel:

G

·
I just got the JHP for $99 slightly used and it was nice...only got to put 50 rounds through it but it was def. more fun to shoot than my c9 and i thought shot better groups than the 9...I def. think you should grab one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.