Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is one of the first things that will get thrown into my jeep in the event of a bug-out situation. I have kept the basics all together for tactical readiness.

1. The box is a 50cal ammo can with locking bolt installed.
2. My 9c with Fobus Holster, Hogue grip and slide grip added.
3. Leather gloves
4. CRKT M16 Part serrated knife
5. Colman Tactical defensive flashlight with belt holder
5. 100 rnds of 9mm Luger (will add another 100 later)
6. Bore snake and gun oil
7. Shooting glasses

Ill have Pics up of the whole kit tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Thats a really good idea to have all together. I have a spare ammo can that I'm now going to do that with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's very convinient.

That way the looters can steal the whole thing while you go inside for the next load.

Tatical is not a designer color, a brand name or the presence of military surplus gear.

Tatical is not having the weapons in the car and you in the house. Arm's distance is the tatical standard on any individual weapon.

Tatical is a frame of mind indicating a readiness for immidiate action.

If you are "tatical" the pistol is on your belt, along with the knife and all the extra mags you have.

Water, shelter and food are the first things you throw in the vehicle. The guns are in your hand, slung on your shoulder or tucked into your belt.

·
1,792 Posts
I have a similar set up. Only mine is a lock box meant to be stored in the vehicle. I still need to bolt it in As I have not yet so I dont use. Well I have a few times. Live post and not allowed to CCW till off post. So it must be in locked box.

My only use for this box is the short two or three mile drive till I get off post. Then said Weapon goes in the IWB.

When returning to post it goes back in Box. The box will also Serve as a Bandaid for the times I run into the NO GUN ZONE..
Happens and I need to feel safe... ER SAFER about storing the weapon in the vehicle.

·
Registered
974 Posts

That way the looters can steal the whole thing while you go inside for the next load.

Tatical is not a designer color, a brand name or the presence of military surplus gear.

Tatical is not having the weapons in the car and you in the house. Arm's distance is the tatical standard on any individual weapon.

If you are "tatical" the pistol is on your belt, along with the knife and all the extra mags you have.

Water, shelter and food are the first things you throw in the vehicle. The guns are in your hand, slung on your shoulder or tucked into your belt.
This could have been phrased more politely, especially to someone new to the forum.

You've got some nice makings of a bug out kit, but I'd suggest you take some of this advice. Keep a bag of things to put in your vehicle, but also keep a vest/belt/sling/whatever that you can keep on your body. If you are at a bug out situation, you need to be armed and ready and a box in your truck doesnt' cut it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Keep your head up new guy, this is a pretty good idea as a lot of us members have our own BO kits. At least you have the beginnings of a plan that you can expand on later.Just keep browsing this forum and youll get all kinds of valuable info and ideas. Welcome!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

On the contrary, I have a bug-out (or bug-in) kit already made! I have more than 3 days of food and water, full med kit, shelter, shotgun, etc. The ammo can is separate and hidden next to my bed and contains a belt with holster, knife and flashlight attached. In a bug out situation the first thing I do is open the can and strap on the belt. Hence the "Tactical" for readiness.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Savage1 Welcome to the forum Glad to see you are thinking RU Krazy has has some good ideas but he should have been a bit more diplomatic about it :wink: Just keep thinking and you can't go wrong

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
First off I need to welcome another "Savage" to the site.

It looks like you're thinking and thats great. In the event of a bug-out, extra clothing water and food (more of a comfort item) would also be a good addition, along with extra fuel and oil for the vehicle. I would also recomend several of the "fix a flat" type products incase of a flat, as service stations won't be working, and they can get you to a safe area to change a tire. Ballancing weight and space over utility is aways a problem.

Take Care and Stay Safe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a lifted jeep wrangler heavily modified with 35in tires and with two 5 gallon gas cans and a duffel bag full of spare parts. I have a full size spare tire and yes I have 2 tubes of Slime tire sealant (great stuff)

Depending on the event that will require action, I plan on buggin in at first to avoid the widespread panic. I live in an easily defensible location complete with a basement (yes even in southern California). Freeways here would back up for miles extremely quick and I would'nt want to be exposed in gridlock on a highway.

I have 2 designated locations for survival. One in the mountains and one in the desert. They are both pre programmed in my hand held GPS. Im a seasoned hiker and have located places that would allow good shelter, excellent defensible positioning and are well hidden.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Just 1 question. Do you also have a map also instead of using GPS? I was thinking of if it was knocked out for some reason then you still had a map reference [but I bet you haver already thought of that didn't ya]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup, I keep topographical and road maps at all times in the jeep. I carry the topo maps with me as well as a compass for backup when I am hiking.

P.S. Bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and will be picking it up next Thursday. Add it to my list. :0)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps I sometimes appear too blunt, but statements like the one above simply reinforce my point. The guy walking down the road my want more than just directions to the area being looted.

I got my tatical training when people all around me were dying due to their lack of vigilance. They were also endangering all around them when they did so.

Our reliance was almost totally based on individual weapons, and a man without a weapon in his hand, ready for immidiate use, was a useless burden on the other overtaxed individuals in the unit.

At various times I have had people dropped for massive numbers of pushups for being more than arm's distance from their individual weapons. I have had rifles tied to people with "ranger cords" and for repeat offenders I have ordered fines and occasional extra duty.

This was one area of discipline that was never questioned by anyone in the unit, higher or lower. Repeat offenders normally got a cold stare from everyone around with a few offensive comments added.

Keep your gun in your belt. Staying alive is a good thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cant do that hear in california. I keep it in my back-pack. I always have my blade on me though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the box is'nt the best idea since many or all bridges might be either guarded by very unfriendly people or gone.be readdy to hike or know ways around the bridges.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You have the beginnings of some good ideas. Everybody has their own thing. Readiness is the mantra. Whatver BU setup yout choose, it just has to be accessible so you can grab and go/use it.

It would need to be portable enough to carry too in case you had to go on foot, but keep researching. There's tons of good ideas here. Forming the idea for one is the biggest step. Everything after that is fine tuning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Savage is rockin.He's thinkin and preppin.As a hiker he's working an angle that I personally think is one of the most under rated survivalist disiplines.Fitness.All the high dollar toys and prepps to the inth degree wont amount to squat if you dont have the strength and endurance to do what needs to be done wheather it be hunting for food,cqc,or running away.Fitness is an important(and often neglected)weapon in the warriors arsenal.Having said that I do have one suggestion that will boost your overall prepparedness plans to the next level.Move.If your unarmed a major portion of your day due to cali's laws youve got a big hole in your self-defence stratagies i.e. workplace violence,social upheavel(L A riots started during working hours),or natural disasters like earthquakes.If something happens when your at work or out and about you'll want to be armed to give you the best chance to get home and bug in or out depending.This aint a knock on you bro and I know picking up lock,stock,andbarrel and moving is'nt something that happens overnight.Just something to think about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Savage is rockin.He's thinkin and preppin.As a hiker he's working an angle that I personally think is one of the most under rated survivalist disiplines.Fitness.All the high dollar toys and prepps to the inth degree wont amount to squat if you dont have the strength and endurance to do what needs to be done wheather it be hunting for food,cqc,or running away.Fitness is an important(and often neglected)weapon in the warriors arsenal.Having said that I do have one suggestion that will boost your overall prepparedness plans to the next level.Move.If your unarmed a major portion of your day due to cali's laws youve got a big hole in your self-defence stratagies i.e. workplace violence,social upheavel(L A riots started during working hours),or natural disasters like earthquakes.If something happens when your at work or out and about you'll want to be armed to give you the best chance to get home and bug in or out depending.This aint a knock on you bro and I know picking up lock,stock,andbarrel and moving is'nt something that happens overnight.Just something to think about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Savage is rockin.He's thinkin and preppin.As a hiker he's working an angle that I personally think is one of the most under rated survivalist disiplines.Fitness.All the high dollar toys and prepps to the inth degree wont amount to squat if you dont have the strength and endurance to do what needs to be done wheather it be hunting for food,cqc,or running away.Fitness is an important(and often neglected)weapon in the warriors arsenal.Having said that I do have one suggestion that will boost your overall prepparedness plans to the next level.Move.If your unarmed a major portion of your day due to cali's laws youve got a big hole in your self-defence stratagies i.e. workplace violence,social upheavel(L A riots started during working hours),or natural disasters like earthquakes.If something happens when your at work or out and about you'll want to be armed to give you the best chance to get home and bug in or out depending.This aint a knock on you bro and I know picking up lock,stock,andbarrel and moving is'nt something that happens overnight.Just something to think about.If moving is'nt gonna happen for whatever reason maybe you could look into the filipino martial arts like kali or escrima to learn how to best utilize the knife your allowed to carry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me make something clear, I carry a backpack nearly everywere I go. In this pack I now carry one of my side arms. Cali is a bit tricky when you cant carry concealed wepons. The zippered compartment is padlocked and the clips are in a separate compartment. Its not the best option but if I needed to get home Im much better off. I do always carry a blade on me (S.O.G. Fast II). In the event of a bug out or in situation, my gun belt goes on.

Also, I do keep fit and regularily hike to keep my orientation skills sharp. I can confidently navigate without compass.

All of my gear is designed to be mobile in 3 destinct mannors.

1. by car (heavy items like generator etc.)
2. by mountain bike (bike goes with the jeep and has racks and bags to carry a reasonable amount of items)
3. By foot. My main survival items are in a large back pack.

Depending on the situation, I can determine my options. For example, If Im trying to drive to a pre designated location and there are obsticales that prevent my jeep from continuing, I can ride the bike out of harms way. and If I need to be be on foot for what ever reason I can get out on foot. I keep my gear modular and can stash items and come back for them if needed.

Also what I would suggest ( learned this from the history books about the great alaskan fronteer). Burry supplies at you destination. Things lake batteries, food, etc..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts