Hi Point 995ST Barrel Specs

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Telehillsdale, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Telehillsdale

Telehillsdale Member

Can someone please tell me the twist on the barrel for the 9mm? Can't locate this info anywhere! I am doing a lot of research on ammunition with the goal of maximizing the capabilities of this gun and the twist is an important piece of info.

2. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

First off Telehillsdale, since this is your first post, welcome to the Hi-Point Firearm Forums.:)

I've always heard and read warnings that you shouldn't insert a cleaning rod into a barrel from the muzzle end of a firearm because of the possibility of damaging the crown of the muzzle and thereby degrading accuracy. Never the less it is necessary to use a ramrod from the crown on muzzle loading black powder rifles. With that in mind, I recently received this from GUN TESTS, Weekly Straight Shooter, January 14, 2016:

"MEASURING TWIST RATE

If your barrel isn't marked, how can you tell what twist rate it has? Simple, get a cleaning rod with a swiveling handle. Fit a tight-fitting patch in it, and stuff the rod with patch down the bore. Make sure the patch can go both directions. Push in until it is more than halfway down. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the rod, with the ends stuck together, forming a "flag". Attach this flag with the ends straight up, as close to the flash hider as you can. Then slowly pull the rod out, watching the flag rotate. When it comes back up to vertical, stop. Measure the distance from the flash hider to where the flag is now. That's your twist rate."

In the event no one else here comes up with the twist rate of the 995TS, or if the factory wont share what it is, maybe carefully using a smaller .22 Caliber slotted tip on a thinner cleaning rod with a swiveling handle to run a patch down the 9mm barrel may help in determining the twist rate as described by the "Gun Tests" article above.

3. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

"The barrel is steel and button rifled using a 1-10" right hand twist."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You can buy a muzzle protectoror or a breech guide. A lot of times a flash hider or muzzle brake will do the same. Or you can use a bore snake or bore cleaning rope too.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

5. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I just wanted to point out that if one uses the procedure Gun Tests wrote about to determine the twist rate on a carbine that didn't have a muzzle brake or flash hider on it that one should be careful.:eek:

I'm not sure that using a bore snake or bore cleaning rope would be as useful, in determining the twist rate inside of a barrel, as a swiveling handled cleaning rod with a masking tape fashioned flag attached, and a tape measure would be.:confused:

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

But it does ameliorate damage to the crown. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

a·me·lio·rate
    əˈmēlyəˌrāt/
    verb
    make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.
    "the reform did much to ameliorate living standards"
    synonyms:improve, make better, better, make improvements to, enhance, help, benefit, boost, amend; More

^^^ thanks for Kirkifying ^^^

8. From a chart I downloaded. To the best of my knowledge these numbers are correct. Use at your own discretion.

C9 is 3 RH 1 in 10
    995 is 8 RH 1 in 10

Hope this helps.

satch

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  9. Telehillsdale

Telehillsdale Member

Thanks

Thanks Forum fellows. I am going to just ask Hi Point. I will report back what I find.

10. Telehillsdale

Telehillsdale Member

Your Final Answer

Alright, Lenny the awesome Hi Point tech says it's a 1:10 with an 8 right hand. So a bunch of you were correct. Thanks

11. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Never doubt the wisdom of the mighty HP forum lol.:rolleyes:

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

There's a reason HP links folks directly to HPFF from their website....

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I swear every time I read one of your posts, the first thing that pops into my head is "Cliff Clavin". Ever think of changing your moniker? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attached Files:

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

He can't they are bitter enemies from highschool debate team :-D

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That was classic stuff. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk