HI-POINT Action Shooting Challange.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by Alaska Gun Dad, Apr 15, 2019.

1. I am shooting a HI-POINT JHP 45 in my local 10 week adult rifle pistol league in the single stack division. We are on week 7 and things are going well. My entire competition rig cost $380.00 not counting ammunition.

Rerun and yworrydog like this.
  2. Week 1 of the Hi Point action shooting challenge.

Rerun, HPD855, yworrydog and 3 others like this.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Notwithstanding the minor tactical mistakes (gameisms, really) you ran the gun pretty well out there. The recoil anticipation is pretty common doing the controlled pairs when you first get going, but it drops off as you warm up. You'll only get better as the competition progresses.

Having access to places where I could practice rapid-fire on an array of steel targets had been hit-and-miss for a long time, so I've only recently been able to practice it much. I'd be happy as a clam to run the stage the way you did in that second half where you filmed from two angles.

By the way, I had to laugh at the rack-push technique when chambering the first round with your JHP. I have to do the same thing with mine. I think the recoil spring is just strong enough to cycle the action when the magazine is one round shy of full because the slide is heavy enough to absorb all of that kinetic energy, obviating the need for a heftier spring. But the dang pistol works. I hadn't touched mine in a long time and was running a plate rack pretty well with it about a month ago.

It's good to see people using their Hi Points like that.

D2D_Max and daveindenver like this.
  4. Week 2 of the Hi-Point shooting challenge.

5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I guess I am missing the point of this o_O and the double stack 18 round w/red dot comparison ?

6. The guy shooting the 22+ round 9mm with a red dot is my cousin and we are at very similer shooting abilities (He is a little better than me) and compete together regularly. He is one of the best shooters in our league. His runs are included to show what a difference gear can make. I am shooting a budget minded setup to show that you don't need all of the cutting edge gear to get out and enjoy competition and getting smoked by some guy with all of the hi speed stuff is not a big deal or anything to be ashamed of. I feel bad for the guys in the single stack division with nice 1911's in 9mm that on a good week fall behind me and my HI-POINT. I can see where that might not pop right out and be apparent to others. I hope this helps make a little more sense of things.
    :)

Bertus, lklawson and disillusioned like this.
  7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    But it isn’t apple to apple in the comparison. He doesn’t need to reload and has a red dot mounted. Not even in same division competition I would think. Make as much sense as if you had a rifle competing too ?? Like a 4595 with red dot and red ball mags.
    Probably still under priced than what he is shooting??

8. Think1st

Florida
    His point is that his JHP ran pretty dang well compared to his buddy's higher-tech setup. It didn't run as well, but it ran well. What he's saying is that you can get some good results with budget gear even if they don't match the exact results of the more expensive stuff.

It's pretty evident that the JHP did do a good job for him. Buy, yeah, it would have been a better comparison if he'd shown video of someone running a 1911 without optics. Absent that exact comparison, the one he had does well enough.

Rerun likes this.
  9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    What gun has 22+ rounds ?? o_O

and I still wonder what's the point ?? And the next five going to be the same ??

10. Think1st

Florida
    My Glocks all have 22+ rounds when I use the happy sticks.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Kel Tec PMR30 / CP33

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Rerun likes this.
  12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    but don't think it would be that reliable ;)

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Extended mags, but not original ?? So, the comparison gun is also using different mags than it would have come with ?

14. Think about like this. Red dot’s and double stack magazines are the future while iron sights and single stack magazines are the past/retro. There is also the sizable price difference. This series shows that you can still get the job done with legacy equipment but none of us can change the times and ignoring the improvement’s made to modern high end (soon to be standard) gear is foolish like an ostrich putting it’s head into the sand. I still collect and shoot with revolvers as well but know there limitations and shoot them for pleasure much like my Hi-Point. :)

Rerun likes this.
  15. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

You can remove the magazine disconnect or add some weights to the bottom of the mag to help it drop free.
    At what time is that competition held?

16. Thanks for the tip. I am not making any modifications the the pistol except for bending the safety lever out a little until after I finish the Spring league. I want to shoot it factory stock for now and fight my way through any issues.
    The adult rifle pistol league at Birchwood shooting range in Chugiak, AK is shot on Wednesday Thursday and Friday evenings at 6:00, 7:00, and 8:00 pm. You pick a day and time slot when you sign up. Some spots fill up quickly limit of 10 shooters per hour. The Summer league will start up in about 4 weeks from now and will run for 10 weeks.

Rerun likes this.
  17. Week 3 of the Hi Point action shooting challenge.

18. Hi Zpoint action shooting challenge week 4.

19. Week 5 of the HI-POiNT action shooting challenge.

20. Week 6 of the HiPoint competition shooting adventure.