Hi-Point Blues

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by cicpup, Mar 26, 2017.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Remember this JHP?

[​IMG]

Well turns out that white paint near the muzzle is a very stupid idea. Didn't wear off but discolored to the point the last 1 1/2 inches of the slide permanently looked like the inside of a 6 month old's diaper. So I stripped it with no idea what I would do with it. Till someone in the thread about blueing a zinc revolver asked if anybody has blued a Hi-Point. As usual, I took that as a challenge. Well it came out beautifully (which there's no way in hell my cheap assed camera can convey). It's a nice deep blue (almost black but not quite). It didn't take as well to the racing stripes, but since it had all the original detail found on a CF-380 I just stripped the blue back off and shined them up with Mothers Mag Polish and preserved all the detail. As for the frame? Previously removed the rhino horn and currently cleaning up all the mold lines while attempting to preserve the ridges on the front & back straps. Trigger is being downgraded. I really hate the melted finger pad on the skeletonized trigger so going back to a first gen 3 hole. Now my dilemma. Since this was a spur of the moment thing, I have no clue what color the frame should be. I'm leaning towards keeping it black and playing "spot the difference" with people but not sure if another color would compliment the slide better. So other than this post just being an opportunity to show off I'm taking suggestions from you knowledgeable talented folks. Then I'll probably just do what I want.

Attached Files:

2. retread

retread Member

slide looks great! what bluing did you use?

3. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    Will be interested to see how that holds up. It would be amusing to OC a blued JHP w/ Lego grips.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Go to the store and pick a color. What about the Hammered colors from Rustolium

5. cicpup

Vermont
    So it looks like it was pounded out of bronze? Mid evil budget weaponry? Kirk would be proud.

6. moona11

Yep. Look good if done right

7. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

Came out nice good work

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think that either a matte olive drab or battleship gray on that middle strip would look really nice with the shiny blued parts of the slide. If you then make the grips and trigger the same color, you'll complete it.

9. moona11

na its been done before. The colors not the Blue

10. cicpup

Vermont
    E's looking good. You haven't changed much.

11. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I'm glad you tried the blue. I was the one who used on an old Hawes revolver that was partly Zamack. Worked well for me. I may try it on my old Haskell whose finish was shot so I just sprayed it with rattle can paint.

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Going with a metalic color on the frame is a new idea, though, I think. Making that polymer frame look like brushed stainless would be a neat touch. Those hammered colors you mentioned might be able to achieve that.

13. misterjhpc9

misterjhpc9 Member

Looks good, I am trying to figure out a way to make my slide gold, keep the frame black and some nice wood grips for my customized JHP and C9.

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Have it plated or powdercoated. That's the only way you'll get a smooth rich look and be durable. Gold paint is loaded with metal flake and will look like $hit (and very gay). It's also extremely porous and won't hold up to handling long without a clear coat.

15. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    Someone here just did a gold plastic wrap of a HiPoint slide, looked pretty good. Don't know how durable it will be.

16. misterjhpc9

misterjhpc9 Member

Who typically does plating stuff like that? Im sure its not a guns smith?

17. cicpup

Vermont
    Electroplate businesses. Powder coating you could try auto body shops or places that work on rims. A stripped slide is just a piece of metal. Not a gun. Anybody can legally work on it.