Hi-Point C9 9mm Handgun Review: Budget Defensive Gun Or Junk?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by Edknn, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Mrgunsngear reviewed this pistol today. He had about 40 FTF in 500 rounds.

2. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Great boat anchor...
    ... That shoots well after tweaking the magazines...

More than 6,000 rounds fired through my C9 effortlessly after the first 250 breakin period and tweaks.
    Ball, JHP's, FP.
    Recently bought it back from the cousin I sold it to for less than I sold it to him originally.
    Boresnaked, light grease on rails, and she was ready to go.

eldar

Edknn, moona11 and shepherd321 like this.

3. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

I have put less than 500 rounds through mine so far, but zero problems and zero tweaking required. Thing shoots like a dream!

Browning 9 Guy and FRED J WAHL like this.
  4. truck

truck Supporting Member

Overall good gun except for the trigger, it has a crude feel to it.

Rufus Nathaniel REDD likes this.
  5. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

If you find the C9 shoots like a dream, you should track down and try shooting a old Stallard. The mass of the slide really absorbs recoil. I'm kinda surprised Hi-Point stopped making the JF9 (the post-Stallard full size 9mm model)

FRED J WAHL and Pistolkitty like this.
  6. Adamo, you're right on the money about the older Stallards! I have one in .45 ACP, and was the first Hi Point I bought. Don't know if it was a transitional piece or not, as the top end seems pure Hi Point, but it does outshoot my other .45 H-P on the range. The first Hi Point was such a pleasant surprise, I ended up buying 8 more!
    The magazines are not interchangeable, between the two, tho--

Browning 9 Guy and moona11 like this.
  7. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

I’m sure he’d rather have a $1000 Kimber.
    HP is what it is.
    A budget gun series with lifetime warranty.

ajole likes this.
  8. Swag, Kimbers have their problems, too-- I have a Veteran Bud who bought a brand new Kimber, and it just wouldn't fire right, had lots of Malfs. I looked it over carefully, and found a deep gouge in the feeding ramp, can't see how that passed their Q.C.
    Lou finally had to send it back to them, and I think they sent him another gun, which he sold. He won't be buying any more Kimbers, but is looking to get a Hi Point.

lklawson and adam01364 like this.
  9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I would LIKE to have a Kimber too...but I'd rather pay for a Hi Point.....or 17.:confused:

10. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Is that a picture of Anthony Weiner shooting on the video preface?

eldar

Greg B. likes this.
  11. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

It’s not a bad video.
    He does mention in the beginning that he suspects the mags to be the cause and not the gun.
    Later he does mention HP’s warranty but he doesn’t mention any fix for the mags.
    Can you blame him for that?
    No, not really.
    For people that are not tinkerers or simply not very familiar with guns it would be nice to buy a gun that doesn’t have a 10-15% malfunction rate.

ajole likes this.
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    True. If HP had a better mag, or a better mag/gun interface, they'd be making guns as fast as they can, and selling them all.

Oh, wait....they already do that.:p

But seriously...it's not a huge thing, but it IS a thing.;)

13. Ok everyone like I posted earlier I did buy one, so my next question is can I fire this straight out of the box or should I have a gunsmith take it apart and tweek it? Also I got different opinions that I should clean the gun before shooting it?

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yes.

Follow your own personal SOP with a new firearm. It can take it.

eldarbeast likes this.
  15. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

See what Pistolkitty said in post #3, and quoted in bold above? That's your answer. Just take it out and shoot it.

FRED J WAHL and Pistolkitty like this.
  16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I would run a oiled patch down the barrel. Then run a dry one just to make sure the bore is lubed and clear.

Some work perfect out of the box. Sometimes problems are your fault. If you have a problem? Raise your right hand the the Lord and repeat after me............ "I won't fuck up my gun trying to make it work right after watching a stupid Youtube video, so help me "Mom". I am not an expert on the C-9. Lots of members are. Listen to them and don't wander off and do something stupid. I own 2 C-9's. I bought them both barely used. I've only shot one of them and it was flawless.

Is this your first gun?

moona11 and ChazDawg35 like this.
  17. Thanks for the info everyone! I have had a Taurus PT 111 G2 but sold it because it would have issues sometimes (jams failure to return to battery) I realize this is an inexpensive gun but hope to get better results. Also the field stripping this gun is completely different than the Taurus, but seems to be relatively easy. I have watched a video and it shows a roll pin that has to be removed in order to clean it, does the gun come with a tool to do this or do I have to buy a drift punch? If so what size? I don't plan on modifying the mag or feed as long as there is no major issues. I did see a mag modification to the spring and might just buy an extra one to play with. I can't wait to shoot it next week and compare the two, I'll post my opinion as soon as get back from the range.

planosteve likes this.
  18. Raise your right hand the the Lord and repeat after me............ "I won't fuck up my gun trying to make it work right after watching a stupid Youtube video, so help me "Mom". I SWEAR!

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Use a nail.

eldarbeast and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.
  20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Hi, first load your mag now, it helps with the spring. If you want to take it down to clean it get a cheap set of harbor freight punches. Most of the time I just blast it with gun scrubber and clean the bore. Spray a bit of oil hear and there and it is good to go.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.