Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a feeling that I'm going to need to scrounge every bit of 9mm brass if I expect to make it through this ammunition shortage.

What kinds of brass catchers do you people use for C9's? I go out to the range with a buddy so my immediate plan is a butterfly net that they hold about a foot away from the firearm.

If there's an effective catcher that works out of the box or quickly improvised, that would be neat.

2 Posts
If you're shooting somewhere dry you could fire off a couple of rounds to get an idea of how far your brass travels and then put an old sheet down. When the time comes you just pick up the corners and you'll have a nice pile in the center.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're shooting somewhere dry you could fire off a couple of rounds to get an idea of how far your brass travels and then put an old sheet down. When the time comes you just pick up the corners and you'll have a nice pile in the center.
I go to an indoor range which limits space a great deal. I think a butterfly net might work OK in this sort of job. Haven't taken it out to the range just yet.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I use the tried and true method called the bend and reach.
Hopefully nobody is shooting in the lane next to you. But it'd be fun to watch you dance when you get a piece of hot brass down yer crack. :carrot:

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
Hopefully nobody is shooting in the lane next to you. But it'd be fun to watch you dance when you get a piece of hot brass down yer crack. :carrot:
Its happened

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Its happened
And you haven't changed yer handle to "Scar" yet?
@Variable Recall - I put a tarp down when I can. Fortunately my new club polices the range for brass, bags and sells it to members for next to nothing. The tarp does work well and they're dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. OTOH, you could switch to a wheelie. Never lost a piece of 38 special brass yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And you haven't changed yer handle to "Scar" yet?
@Variable Recall - I put a tarp down when I can. Fortunately my new club polices the range for brass, bags and sells it to members for next to nothing. The tarp does work well and they're dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. OTOH, you could switch to a wheelie. Never lost a piece of 38 special brass yet.
That's where you're wrong! I DO in fact have a Wheelie-Gat! It's a used S&W Model 10-5 from around 1969. It was carried a lot and thankfully not shot very often. I really love it! Certainly puts the C9's trigger to shame.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Everyday carry

Managed to get a good deal on the Military Style grips (or Stocks, to be pedantic) as well. They certainly improve the looks, but they are certainly meant to fit people that never ate their wheaties in 1899. I use a Houge monogrip for the range, and the walnut ones for vanity.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
That's where you're wrong! I DO in fact have a Wheelie-Gat! It's a used S&W Model 10-5 from around 1969. It was carried a lot and thankfully not shot very often. I really love it! Certainly puts the C9's trigger to shame.
View attachment 70519

Managed to get a good deal on the Military Style grips (or Stocks, to be pedantic) as well. They certainly improve the looks, but they are certainly meant to fit people that never ate their wheaties in 1899. I use a Houge monogrip for the range, and the walnut ones for vanity.
That is a nice revolver! Had a 19-2 at one point and, like a fool, sold it. You are right about the triggers, too.

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
Quite a few indoor ranges do not let you pick up ANY brass that falls across a line they have. I have also read a few times that some indoor ranges do not allow any brass to even be picked up from the floor. Their house, their rules I guess. I do not go to those places. But, I can easily understand why some guys do and why they do need a brass catcher.

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
My brass catcher for handguns in a static position and benched long guns is a Caldwell Brass Trap.
You can set it down on a table with weight in it, or mount it on a tripod.

Reactions: OldOutlaw
1 - 15 of 15 Posts