Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a holster for my Hi-point 45, and thus comes questions when it comes to carrying it.

Fairly new to gun ownership, and have yet to carry anything. So I'm curious as how some of you might carry your Hi-points.

One of the things I feel a bit uncomfortable with is that to carry it loaded, the only thing you have is the manual safety and a SA trigger pull that keeps the gun from firing. Does that keep those of you who carry Hi-points from carrying it cocked and locked?

Another thing regarding that, is does keeping the gun cocked for long periods of time put significant wear on any parts or springs? Also how long can I keep a magazine loaded without worrying about wearing out the spring on those?

Sorry if these are things covered before, and thanks for any answers I might get.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Welcome aboard holeinhead. I carry my C9 without one in the hole. As it says in my manual, it takes little time to rack the slide. The .45 I'm not sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how I was thinking of carrying as well.

What about keeping rounds in magazines? How long can you keep one loaded without having to worry too much about the spring?

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
A lot of people say that compression of the spring will not wear it out, its the use of the spring (IE empty/full/empty... you get the idea) that wears it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry my 40 without one in the hole when I am at the range. it takes so little time to rack the slide. Have fun with the new gun......

·
Registered
762 Posts
I carry my Hi Point 45 with one in the chamber, in my Fobus holster OWB, open carry.....you most likely aren't going to be able to conceal that thing.

I have carried my Hi Point cocked/locked for 2 years almost, and had no issues, the gun didn't magically explode, parts didn't fly off, and I didn't shoot my eye out........there is a sear in place to block the firing pin for a reason, and I've never heard of an ND with a Hi Point firearm.......if it's not ready when you need it, how are you going to load a round in the chamber one handed?

I say one handed, because the other hand will be fighting off the knife or fist coming at you from the BG you are trying to shoot.......and what if the gun jams when loading the first round from the magazine? Now you are really screwed......if the gun isn't loaded, it's useless as a weapon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In a high stress situation, I don't want to have to rack the slide. Also, if it doesn't cycle correctly then you are in a bad situation.
For home defense when you have more time, I don't see it being a problem not having one in the chamber. Carrying outside your house or in your car, I don't want to have to worry/remember to rack the slide.
I guess it really comes down to personal preference :D

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
If they are that close, you pull the pistol, hit them across the face with it, and while they are on the ground, rack a round into the chamber :)

Heavy as a brick has its advantages LOL

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I carry my C9 with 8 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, safety on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's how I was thinking of carrying as well.

What about keeping rounds in magazines? How long can you keep one loaded without having to worry too much about the spring?
In a recent G&A magazine, that question was asked by a reader. The G&A answer was that modern mag springs are not going to lose memory.

·
Registered
959 Posts
when I get my HCP from the state, I plan on carrying mine loaded. I had the sane concerns, and so I did my own research. as long as the safety is operational and engaged, it will block the firing pin. I even called Hi Point in regards to the recomendation. they Tech explained to me that some holsters that fit looser, tend to let the safety become disengaged during carry. That is the reason for the recomendation

·
Registered
171 Posts
I carry my HI-POINT.45 with one in the chamber on safe this has never failed me .

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I carry my HI-POINT.45 with one in the chamber on safe this has never failed me .
And I hope it never does. We read about tragedies every day, bad things happen sometimes no matter how careful we are.

·
Registered
922 Posts
When i tote my JCP i keep it fully loaded with one riding the pipe. Like compmanio365 said the sear blocks the firing pin in case its dropped.

·
Registered
922 Posts
When i tote my JCP i keep it fully loaded with one riding the pipe. Like compmanio365 said the sear blocks the firing pin in case its dropped.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I carry all mine loaded, but none in the pipe. If my attacker is so close I don't
have time to rack the slide, my pistol reverts to a club, and that will buy the time I need.
Ever been pistol whipped? Stuns the crap out of you.
Even a small gun will knock most people to the ground.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. They've all been very helpful!

I figured my 45 would be terrible for a concealed carry, so this will be OC only. I'm getting a Sig 225 for CC, but still got some time before I get my CPL.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I conceal carry my C9 in a Fobus holster with the mag loaded and the chamber empty. Like most I figure if I have to pull it, one I will have time to work the slide and aim and two if they are that close to where I can't work the slide, shame on me for letting them that close, but I will smack the H*** out of them with it while getting the slide worked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts