Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi-point c9 was my first pistol i ever owned. i bought it in 2001 and still own it today. i also own several glocks. i've never had a single problem with my hi-point pistol. i'm new to this forum and wanted to know what the main complaints are is regards to hi-point pistols. do they have a high failure rate, are they not reliable, what is it? any help is greatly appreciated as i'm in the market for another pistol and i just want to be as informed as possible. i can't rely on the "range pros" as they are to bias to give an honest opinion. thanks

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Only complaint I have about any of my Hi Points is their voracious appetite for ammo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:welcome: I think the biggest complaint with the hi-point is the magazine . IMHO the mag is the weak link in a otherwise solid firearm.
I agree 100%. I think they could spend $5 more on the mags have a lot less issues. Bad mags cause jamming and failures of many kinds. Besides that, I have had no issues at all.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
hi-point c9 was my first pistol i ever owned. i bought it in 2001 and still own it today. i also own several glocks. i've never had a single problem with my hi-point pistol. i'm new to this forum and wanted to know what the main complaints are is regards to hi-point pistols. do they have a high failure rate, are they not reliable, what is it? any help is greatly appreciated as i'm in the market for another pistol and i just want to be as informed as possible. i can't rely on the "range pros" as they are to bias to give an honest opinion. thanks
I don't get it..you've owned a hi point for 8 years and never had a single problem with it..what would YOU say the main complaint is? BTW :welcome:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i personally don't have any complaints with my hi-point. my question was what are the main complaints other people have had as to why hi-point firearms have not made a bigger impact. if you talk to "most" so called range pros that will tell you that hi-point is a piece of crap, but they are bias and want you to purchase a higher priced gun. some of my friends tell me to throw my hi-point away before it blows up in my face but they are thinking that the cheap price is because of a cheap gun.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Can only get the c9 or the cf380 in california.
Would really like to get the 40 S&W, 45 ACP and the carbines, but they are deemed illegal.
Either get used to something else or move to another country [I hear the USA will allow you to have these"assault weapons."]

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
The C9's heavy. That's my complaint, but that's not a bad thing either; it takes a lot of the recoil out and is easier to re-zero.

There does seem to be a break-in period of 200-500rds before they are deemed "reliable." However, as others have stated, that's not necessarily a bad thing because it gives you a chance to become more familiar with your firearm, get practice with the occasional jam, and you're "forced" to shoot it :)

I would never own one for self-defense w/o breaking it in.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
They don't cost enough! If they cost about twice what they sell for nobody would think I have a "junk" gun when I tell them what brand my pistols are!

Wait no that is a stupid idea! I can deal with ignorant people and buy inexpensive guns better than I can spend lots of money on guns and still deal with ignorant people!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
people equate cheap price with poor quality.
SW
+1

Made that mistake about Hi-point until I got schooled by a friend with his C9 at the range. Definitely wised up quickly after that and got a JCP 40.

Biggest problem I have with Hi-point is the LGS seems to always be sold out. Or a gun store price gouging because they don't have enough of them to go around. Glad they don't advertise more like Ruger, S&W, etc or I wouldn't have any.

Did have problems with my first JCP 40's mags. But a little tweak fixed them. All 4 of my Hi-point's and extra mags purchased since late 2008 have had no issues.

But maybe I'm just lucky.

Walt

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
My complaints are as follows;

-Sub-par magazines.
-Pistols are too large for CCW
-Alot of HP 9mm's HATE Winchester White Box ammo.

If HP's had hi-cap double-stacked mags they would be a little better and I definitly think HP needs a CCW line of weapons.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
First off you CAN CCW a Hi Point [380 and C9] Next ya don't need hi cap clips if you can't stop a threat with 8 to 10 rounds then throw the gun away and grab a baseball bat [BUT then again if your shooting is THAT screwed up you'd probably miss with that as well. The HP is as good as it's gonna get. If you want something better then save your pennnies and get something else JUST QUIT WHININ AND MOANIN LIKME A FREAKIN 3 YEAR OLD!!!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Hi-Point is the Hyundai of guns. You get a lot for little, but it may not have the right fit/finish or bells/whistles that you want in an car.

I've owned Hyundais and cannot say anything bad about them. But I currently drive a Jeep Compass I got new for the same price I could have purchased an Elantra for. My Jeep is higher up, so it's better on my back, and does better gas mileage then I ever got with my previous Elantra. My Elantra also needed to be serviced every 30,000 and timing belt replaced at 60,000; my Jeep is 110,000 maintenance-free.

I hope this makes sense to people, but if not, I'll put it in terms of my first gun purchase:
I went to Buckeye Outdoors to purchase a gun that I thought I would never use, so considering that, I wanted the cheapest thing possible; Hi-Point. I knew people that had Hi-Points and loved 'em, so I really didn't understand why other guns were more expensive.

At the time, the C9s were $119 new. I liked it, and asked the salesman what would be the next thing up would be. He said a Sigma 9mm, which was on sale for $299 and had a $50 rebate with 2 extra mags for a total of 4. So I did the math- $119 + $20 x 3 for extra mags, and $10 for a carrying case. Was also told that the C9 needed to be broken in about 500 rds, so that put it about the same price including the ammo. So it became a choice to get a gun that could hold 16+1 vs 8/10+1.

I purchased the S&W.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.