Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is common knowledge here at this forum, but just to spread the gospel a bit more, and post it for prosperity in case someone at the the mother ship sees it, I want publicly thank hi point for having the best customer service I have ever experienced.

A few years back I got a screaming deal on a c9 and monkey stock carbine. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the sights of my precious planet of the apes blaster, but it sure looked like someone beat on them like they owed them money. Lots and lots of money. Bent, broken, parts missing, just generally fubar.

MOM sent all the needed parts for free. Plus some other accessories that originally came with the carbine like the sling, etc.

They sent me a full set of springs for the c9 which was having failures fully returning to battery. Again for free.

I was only able to get to these projects recently. So it's worth pointing out they did all of this during the lamest apocalypse ever. So again, thank you hi point. You got a custom for life

Regards,
Foolsgold39

P.s. I have yet to change the springs on the c9. After I got some fresh magazines as opposed to the beat to #[email protected]$ mag that came with the gun I left them fully loaded for a bit and got to shooting. No more failure to go into battery. The idea of loading and leaving the mags came from this forum, so thank you guys.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
P.s. I have yet to change the springs on the c9. After I got some fresh magazines as opposed to the beat to #[email protected]$ mag that came with the gun I left them fully loaded for a bit and got to shooting. No more failure to go into battery. The idea of loading and leaving the mags came from this forum, so thank you guys.
Your failure issue? Shooting or hand cycling?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi cicpup!

Issue was in firing. Hand cycling never duplicated the issue.

Initially I would get a failure to return to battery every couple rounds. A light tap on the back of the slide would resolve the issue, fully seating the round. I figured at the time it was either the chamber being rough or the recoil springs being worn out.

Chamber looks good, and new loaded for a while mags seems to have resolved the issue. I have to get back out with the original mag that came with the gun (got it used), but I believe the issues I had came from that magizine.

My guess is Either the feed lips are slightly bent, or the magizine spring is tired. But I could be completely wrong.

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Hi cicpup!

Issue was in firing.
OK. Then it was an issue. You'd be surprised how many people come here with feeding and cycling problems and after extensive questioning they finally admit that they haven't even shot it yet and can't quite grasp why hand cycling doesn't produce perfect results.

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh, that is suprising. Guess I can kind of see their logic, if the gun doesn't seem to function like they would except, maybe they are afraid to fire it without more info. I dunno. Personally, having more enthusiasm then sense I just shoot the damn things as soon as I get them, lol.

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Banned
453 Posts
Did you do a detail cleaning and inspection before you shot it? There are lots of things that can make a Hi-point act up but normally its someone who has ran them hard and not cleaned them properly.... then they dump them.

Might check your breech face and extractor if the chamber is clean. Feeding malfunctions are typically pretty simple to trouble shoot. Obvioussly the magazine plays a huge role.

Dont cycle live ammo through your hipoint BTW.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks magnut!

You were david on the other forum right? I was a very long time lurker there and have always enjoyed your posts, lots of good info.

Nope, haven't cleaned it yet, definitely need to. To be honest I'm terrible about cleaning my guns in general.

I'll take a look at the breach face and ejector, thanks. I'm 80 percent confident it was a bad mag, as the other six I got functioned fine. With ammo being the way it is right now, and the hi point being more of a fun gun for me right now, I stopped there for the moment.

Yep, hard copy on the live rounds. Snap caps for the win. If I recall correctly the firing pin serves as the ejector right?

By the way, started another thread in the Sns sub section about general sns, oddball, milsup, etc. safety. Would love to here your thoughts.

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Banned
453 Posts
Thanks magnut!

You were david on the other forum right? I was a very long time lurker there and have always enjoyed your posts, lots of good info.

Nope, haven't cleaned it yet, definitely need to. To be honest I'm terrible about cleaning my guns in general.

I'll take a look at the breach face and ejector, thanks. I'm 80 percent confident it was a bad mag, as the other six I got functioned fine. With ammo being the way it is right now, and the hi point being more of a fun gun for me right now, I stopped there for the moment.

Yep, hard copy on the live rounds. Snap caps for the win. If I recall correctly the firing pin serves as the ejector right?

By the way, started another thread in the Sns sub section about general sns, oddball, milsup, etc. safety. Would love to here your thoughts.

Regards,
Foolsgold39
Snap cap or dummy round to test the feed. Empty case to test extractor tenision and ejection. The hipoint extractor spring is pretty week and doesnt typically hold a snap cap or dummy round very well due to weight and length. An empty case will give you a decent estimation of what the ejection is doing.

If you have not cleaned it you may just have a gunked up chamber. If they were shooting a bunch of lacquered up wolf ammo that can sticky things up as well. Hi-point is not real great about things like chamber polishing and bore crowning either. The rifleling itself is typically covered in the paint (which I remove). Barrels are dipped and then chamberes are reamed after. Cleaning up hi-point barrels is an effort in itself. I put new crowns on mine as well.

Hey... dont polish that feeramp thinking its going to fix feeding unless its very damaged. I have polished a lot of them just due to hard wear from buying used. Its not going to do anything if there is no damge though. That paint actually protects the zamak a little IME.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks magnut!

My man! Good tip on dummy/spent shell for function testing. Didn't know that.

Firmly off topic, but I've been researching crowning barrels. I like being able to do as much work on my equipment as I can. You got any tips?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Thanks magnut!

Firmly off topic, but I've been researching crowning barrels. I like being able to do as much work on my equipment as I can. You got any tips?
Don't do it unless you absolutely have to

·
Banned
453 Posts
Thanks magnut!

You can go the cheap route with a brass screw and lapping compound. It works for a touch up. I have done it that way a few times just to see what was possible with common things you could grab at any hardware store.

I use brownells 79 degree muzzle crowning cutters and brass muzzle crowning laps and do it by hand. I have never seen a Hipoint with a decent crown. Almost all these SNS low budget pistols are rough. you can get pilots for most calibers. I had to make one for 25acp barrels though.

Results will vary depending on how well you can shoot. Some SNS pistols like say a Lorcin it wont make any real difference but that has more to due with lack of any real rifleing than anything else. Hi-points can benefit... The Hi-point barrels are pretty decent when they are cleaned up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Magnut,

Thanks! Honestly I imagine my hi point is mechanically capable of more accuracy than I am, a testment to it's fixed barrel.
It would be really interesting to through it in a mechanical rest and see the results.

That brass screw/lapping compound is right up my alley. Thanks!

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Magnut,

Thanks! Honestly I imagine my hi point is mechanically capable of more accuracy than I am, a testment to it's fixed barrel.
It would be really interesting to through it in a mechanical rest and see the results.

That brass screw/lapping compound is right up my alley. Thanks!

Regards,
Foolsgold39
Consistency. Firearms need to be consistent, shooters need to be accurate.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Did you do a detail cleaning and inspection before you shot it? There are lots of things that can make a Hi-point act up but normally its someone who has ran them hard and not cleaned them properly.... then they dump them.

Might check your breech face and extractor if the chamber is clean. Feeding malfunctions are typically pretty simple to trouble shoot. Obvioussly the magazine plays a huge role.

Dont cycle live ammo through your hipoint BTW.
If by detailed cleaning you mean take parts apart....don't do it.
Too many people screw things up, then blame the gun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh I have no doubt people screw up reassembly and blame the gun.

I've seen it happen in real life. I think the most common I've seen is the infamous ruger mark whatever till 4 22 caliber pistol brought into a gunsmith in a brown paper bag (I dont own one, but I believe the mark 4s and up have significantly easier assembly and disassembly. Dont know, just something I've heard).

That said I trust myself and take my time. With all the resources available today it's not like the dark ages when I had to request an interlibary loan on a specific book on the specific pistol. That said as a psa, support your local library lol. Every librarian I've ever met is insanely hardcore pro freedom anti censorship. Library's are one of the few things I dont mind paying taxes on.

Plus I really have been on a huge kick recently to tinker and better understand the gear I use as opposed to just using it as a tool. It's been a great adventure so far.

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
What the Hell was that?
685 Posts
I’ve got a Ruger MK2 target model. Disassembly isn’t that bad, but reassembly is a PITA. My neighbor can always tell when i take it apart, because he can hear me cussing in his living room. HOWEVER, 10 rd silver dollar sized groups at 20yds are pretty consistent. Reassembly is my only complaint.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Not sure what the issue is as of late, but i havent been able to get thru on the phone for months. Anybody know whats up?
COVID.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: Rerun
1 - 20 of 27 Posts