Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I bought my .45 JHP about two weeks ago. When I bought it the dealer stated that the Hi-point was a great gun for HD/SD but that their durability was questionable. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi-points are very durable.
Alot of people on this forum have put 1000's of round through their hi-points with no problems.
If you do have problems, hi-point will take care of it for free with their awesome lifetime warranty.
Enjoy your 45 :D

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
If you mean Glock-like torture tested, the answer is no. I've never heard of anyone dragging their Hi-Point behind a car, shooting it out of a cannon, letting it tumble in a cement mixer, throwing it down a hall repeatedly, throwing it out of a helicopter, shooting it with a .22, or anything else that has been documented with a Glock, which is strange because Hi-Points cost a lot less than a Glock, and would be easy to test. One member of the board froze their gun and it shot fine, but other than that...I don't think anyone has had a problem with reliability or tested it to an extreme. I don't know that it's necessary anyway; the way I see it, if things get that bad here, I'll use my Hi-Point to shoot an enemy soldier and take their Glock.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I've always thought hi-points were quite durable as my father has had his C9 for 15 years without one single FTF/FTE. Needless to say he hasn't even had to take advantage of the lifetime warranty yet. Just wanted to get some other opinions.

G

·
I really struggled in trying to decide between a C9 and a JHP. I finally bought the C9, as I had no 9mm at all prior to this purchase, and I *did* already have a .45. I suspect that the next gun I buy will have Hi-Point's name on it and it will shoot .45 caliber ammo.

These guns are great! I can only foresee lots of durability as I send that hot lead downrange! :mrgreen:

Amistad

·
514 Posts
Actually, I recall someone on here did torture test one step shy of Glock's with packing it with mud, running it over with a truck, etc and it held up beautifully. Unfortunately, I keep getting the debug error when I search for that thread! Hopefully someone else can help me out with finding it or also remembers seeing it.

cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
171 Posts
my jh has over 5000 rds and big fat zero trouble the new jhp has 2000 rds and big fat zero trouble .
a friend of mine has an expensive wonder pistol and nothing but trouble .

·
1,792 Posts
If you mean Glock-like torture tested, the answer is no. I've never heard of anyone dragging their Hi-Point behind a car, shooting it out of a cannon, letting it tumble in a cement mixer, throwing it down a hall repeatedly, throwing it out of a helicopter, shooting it with a .22, or anything else that has been documented with a Glock, which is strange because Hi-Points cost a lot less than a Glock, and would be easy to test. One member of the board froze their gun and it shot fine, but other than that...I don't think anyone has had a problem with reliability or tested it to an extreme. I don't know that it's necessary anyway; the way I see it, if things get that bad here, I'll use my Hi-Point to shoot an enemy soldier and take their Glock.
Uh, No I froze it and It didnt shoot fine till the Ice was out of the Action.

I dont realy remember to well but I had to work the trigger(I froze it just like the xd) to get it to boom.

then I had to force the slide back to battery.

So this firearm will not function full of mudd or sand. However IF it were filled with such and was in battery position.
I would not be affraid to pull the bang switch. it will not kb.

It IMHO is made stronger than needs be...

although I did trade it off as it is not anxd or glock made to live threw hell if need be.....And still function.

A hi-point pistol is what it is. A well made shooter that if Cared for will work and work well. Just not made to be drug threw the mud.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Uh, No I froze it and It didnt shoot fine till the Ice was out of the Action.
...potatoe/po-tot-o. I seriously doubt anyone besides a government employee will fire any gun in a block of ice. And even if you could do it safely, why would you? I don't understand the concept of destroying a gun or knife to prove that it's durable. The only thing that torture testing proves is how much abuse you can subject a tool to before it fails - at which point it no longer works. When, realistically, are you going to intentionally abuse something to the point of it not working? Why would anyone do that under real conditions? Accidents happen, but when is your Hi-Point going to accidentally get thrown out of a helicopter or fired out of a cannon? Even if you did damage it, you have a lifetime warranty. If that kind of stuff happens during your routine day, you're probably doing something privately supported but officially frowned upon by the government, in which case you should probably have your stuff custom made for top dollar. Doesn't anyone else see the problem with this? Imagine crashing your car to test its durability. Great, you lived. Now the car is destroyed. Is every accident the same? I doubt it. Each case will be a little different, and your mileage may vary. I understand that some people want the reassurance that their gun is tough, but what I'd like to know is how long the current models will last under realistic hard use of thousands of rounds and very little cleaning. The people that get off to the torture testing usually have some "Red Dawn" fantasy about taking their custom 1911 or Glock and a bug-out-bag full of beef jerky, fruit roll-ups, and ammo and living in the woods like Robin Hood and waiting to fight the Russians. It doesn't prove a thing. If anyone wants to test their Hi-Point to the point of failure, and not plan on sending back in for warranty work out of courtesy to the company, I'd be happy to look at their results, but in the meantime, I guess I'll just have to be happy knowning metal and polymer are pretty stout stuff and don't break easily...

·
1,792 Posts
Ok heres one.

In KANSAS believe it or not in the winter It gets cold. So cold infact the battery in my truck froze solid.

Now. Last year While 4 wheeling the ATV its weight crashed threw a frose over water hole. Thus I was soaked to the bone in freezing water. HAd I had a CHL back then I would have had a non operational fire arm.

Period a Hi-point is not better then a glock or XD.
Test are to show you what it can go threw and still funtion.
Let me guess youd rather have a Hi-point in this situation then a XD or glock?? RIGHT.

Also for the mud and sand. Hmm. As an outdoors type that has had the slip down the hill and into the mud hole. Yep. take that for what it is worth.

A hi-point will not function in these conditions.

However for SD/HD were you wont be in these situations it is fine.

Again. Any one in the Fort Riley area thinks the hi-point is so much better then a GLock or XD I am game.

I tried the sand on the hi-point but it wouldnot even chamber. let alone let the trigger be pulled.

So beens you dont understand testing the knife for durability I have some China made Special forces ones Ill sell you for your HD SD BOB for a prety penny each.

Simple reason for the test. When the S hits the Fan and you arent in the comfort of your house or the luxury of the range you want your shat to work Right.

That warranty dont mean jack if you fall down and get grim in the action and it wont work.

·
Registered
735 Posts
DID I HEAR ANYONE SAY A HI POINT IS BETTER THAN A GLOCK OR HD ? I MUST HAVE MISSED SOMETHING, I DON,T KNOW OF ANYONE GOIN THRU HELL WITH ANY GUN UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY,HI POINTS ARE GOOD GUNS FOR THE PUBLIC. :!:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay. Two things to remember, so far.
1. Gun will go through 2000 rounds fine.
2. Do not store gun in freezer, sand box, or mud hole.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
...In KANSAS believe it or not in the winter It gets cold. So cold infact the battery in my truck froze solid.
I don't see a problem. If the cars won't start, you're not going to get car jacked, and you're probably in your house trying to get warm anyway. If you're outside, your only real concern is the abominable snowman, because most muggers don't want frostbite, and there are government programs that will keep them warm and safe until jackin' season starts again. If your gun keeps falling into mud and water and sand and snow, you probably need a better holster and/or a pistol leash. I'm sure that a well maintained firearm of any brand would probably suffice in those conditions, but yes, I'd happily rely on my Hi-Point for ccw; I do it on a daily basis now.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Okay. Two things to remember, so far.
1. Gun will go through 2000 rounds fine.
2. Do not store gun in freezer, sand box, or mud hole.
3. Don't take your C9 on any spec-ops, C.I.A., Navy Seal, ninja missions where you are required to wear a cheap holster while fighting tangos in freezing arctic temperatures.

·
1,792 Posts
Okay.
My bad your all correct the hi-point out performs the glock. I shall try to not give reason why any one would ever want or feel the need for anything other then the almighty hi-point.

And Srben. I believe I fell into the mud hole, thus ANY firearm I would have been carrying would have been just as muddy.

And I must admit that after all the problems I had with my C9 I doubt Ill ever own one again. The warranty dont mean jack If when I need it, It needs service.

But yes teach me all the fluff and buff and break in. I believe I did all that too.

So Beings we dont agree that is fine. I totaly respect your opinion. I see all that can be said my way is Mall ninja.

However MY opinion is a hi-point ( If you would have read above post.) IS perfectly fine For SD/HD and range.
Is not the BEST option for Someone like me. IE rides atv's Goes hunting.
Hikes. ANd I am not talking about the well groomed trails. Thus the possibility of an Accedental fall into Sand mudd are much higher for someone in my situation.

After testing My old C9 I cam to the conclusion that in said situation It would not serve MY needs well.

Not to mention the headache I went threw to get it running.

If your happy to use your hi-point in these situations than I am glad for you.

But to Praise it for more than it is is silly. One may read your recommendation and fined themself in less then Ideal conditions with a firearm that needs some cleaning. Remember the BG aint gonna wait for you to clean it out.

Not every CCW situation is Ideal sunny day

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.