Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very good friend of mine who is looking into a pistol for self-defense around the home. She's not going to CC it in the forseeable future, and nor is she a particularly avid gun enthusiast - due to her husband, she knows how to load, shoot, clean, etc, but if I ask her if she wants a 9mm or a .380, she has no idea what I'm talking about.

Now, she's a very small person (5'1", and about 85 lbs), so obviously a .45 would be a bit to brawny for her, and she'd probably limp-wrist it into jamming every time. I was thinking a 9mm or a .380.

Also, she's probably not going to get it "broken in" for a while, so what can be done to make it as reliable as possible right out of the box? Obviously, quality HD ammo is a must, and I think her husband knows enough to know how o polish the feed ramp... What else?

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
a hi-point C9 is a good pistol but for a woman that small i recommend the Taurus-709 Slim

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a hi-point C9 is a good pistol but for a woman that small i recommend the Taurus-709 Slim

I would like that gun for her... But I forgot to mentoin that money is definitely an object. A $400 pistol is a total no-go... If there are any more around the Hi-point price range, that would be something worth looking into, though!

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
If she has never fired a handgun before get a revolver easier to shoot and reload a S&W ultralight would be good with +p .38 cal. she would be safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All things considered, the C9 would be what I would want for my wife for HD. Easy to shoot, light recoil, easy access to ammo, needs very little attention, inexpensive, best warrenty in the business. Jim <><

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
im with shooter on this one. for a woman who could not clear a stoppage under stress, and isnt interesting shooting much at all a simple revolver is the best. you can pick up used smiths for under 300$ and centerfire has the armscor built 38s for 250$ new. an auto isnt the best choice for someone who is not, nor intends to be proficent with a firearm past basic operation.

SW

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
If she's not going to CCW I would also suggest a 3'' to 4" barrel .38 revolver. Muzzle blast and recoil from a snubbie is something to consider. If your thinking semi-auto, kel tec .32 or .380 and Hi Point cf-380 if she can handle the weight. I've seen .380 ammo online.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am not be very popular on this one but I would not recommend a hi point. They are good guns for the price but I don't see them as reliable out of the box enough to confident using it without break in. If $$ is tight and you want a semi auto, I'd go with a bersa .380.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Charter arms pink lady, has a very light trigger pull and she'll like it cause it's cute looking lol buuuut they can be almost 400 bucks also. I'd save the extra and go for that or the Taurus. Bersa 380 is a hell of a gun very light recoil, reliable, but with the lack of 380 ammo out there, and what you will find will tend to be on the pricy side I have a hard time going with that. Kel Tek PF9 is under 300 dollers, might want to look into that, and you can still find 9mm to a certain extent. Hi points are very serviceable firearms but it seems at times from what I've read they need kinda a fluff and buff, even the c9 can be kinda bulky and I know if you limp wrist them they are do jam, so it might not be popular eather but I gota agree I dunno that I'd recommend that.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been shopping prices... What about a Kel-Tec P11?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not shot one but that is not a known gun that can go without break in. check out http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl for a forum dedicated to keltec. They are known for a great customer service like HP. I personally would not get that for a person of that size without trying it first. the smaller the gun, the bigger the recoil usually.

Do you live close to this person? Can they get the gun, have you break it in and work out the kinks, then you give it to back to them? If you get a HP 380 or 9mm, you break it in well and work out the kinks, then you give it back to them... even if they buy the gun and 200 rounds to break it in, they'd still come out cheaper than buying a more expensive gun.

One thing you would really need to make sure they are aware of is limp wristing. A person that size would need to be very aware of it and make sure they have a firm grip.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec 380, and my wife tried it several times and it hurt her wrists, even the P32 hurts her, and they both tend to get limp wristed by her. Back to my other post, the C9 is very heavy, therefore very light recoil, but hard to carry, but would be a great nitestand HD gun. She ended up with a pt22 for carry, and she puts it on her nitestand at night. Carrys in a designated carry purse, and loves it. She usually has her hand in the end of her carry purse, and gripping her pt 22 when we are in a parking lot, or possible area of concern. I carry my P3at owb under untucked shirtail, because they are so small and hard to print. Pocket carry otherwise. Best advise, try some different ones and be sure. Jim <><

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not shot one but that is not a known gun that can go without break in. check out http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl for a forum dedicated to keltec. They are known for a great customer service like HP. I personally would not get that for a person of that size without trying it first. the smaller the gun, the bigger the recoil usually.

Do you live close to this person? Can they get the gun, have you break it in and work out the kinks, then you give it to back to them? If you get a HP 380 or 9mm, you break it in well and work out the kinks, then you give it back to them... even if they buy the gun and 200 rounds to break it in, they'd still come out cheaper than buying a more expensive gun.

One thing you would really need to make sure they are aware of is limp wristing. A person that size would need to be very aware of it and make sure they have a firm grip.
Unfortunately, she lives WAY far north, so that wouldn't be an option...

So, about 200 rounds would be the required break in period? I think that could be manageable. After all, she needs practice shooting. I just don't see her putting 500+ rounds through it anytime soon.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I'll maqke it SIMPLE for you nevermind the freakin pistols get a REVOLVER she doesn't know gun she can shoot a revolver easier and faster then a pistol. Easier to fire and reload, clean, and maintian.

Fromwhat I gather [you're not giving too much info here] she has never fired a handgun. Go with a revolver and have her take a gun safety course as well!!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll maqke it SIMPLE for you nevermind the freakin pistols get a REVOLVER she doesn't know gun she can shoot a revolver easier and faster then a pistol. Easier to fire and reload, clean, and maintian.

Fromwhat I gather [you're not giving too much info here] she has never fired a handgun. Go with a revolver and have her take a gun safety course as well!!
Can you name a revolver for under $250?

I haven't been able to find one.

Ultimately, what she can afford is what she gets. I think she's fired a pistol before, but I don't know how often or how good she is with it. She's not completely ignorant of guns, just inexperienced, but her husband knows quite a bit, and would be able to teach her.

I appreciate your advice, and I did look around online to see if I could find a revolver in the price range, but they all seemed too expensive, so I had to rule them out.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You can get a Rossi .38 Special for around $300 new. My mom has carried one for years, and it is a good shooter for an inexpensive handgun.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consume...ded=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consume...ded=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=
+1 on Rossi and can be had for less used at an LGS.

Centerfire Systems had these. Not sure of the quality. May want to ask if anyone has any experience with them. $179.99-$189.99

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-M200.aspx

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-M206.aspx

Walt

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the links. I'll pass those along.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.