Hi-Point Illegal in Illinois????????????????????????

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by joedapper, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Others may congratulate you on digging up a zombie thread, but the topic remains valid and, as you said, frustrating. For example, mAssachoo$hitz takes similar approach to Hi-Point pistol ownership: It's not illegal to own a Hi-Point handgun in mAss, but you cannot purchase a new one from an mAss FFL or process a transfer of one from a mAss FFL because none of the Hi-Point pistols are on the "Kompliant" list.

However, I have seen mAss FFLs sell used Hi-Point pistols that had been registered in the state, so YMMV.

2. JimD1965

JimD1965 Member

Guess what I found at a gun show in Mo.. today!!! Lol end of complaining!

HPD855 and Rerun like this.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Do we talk about the legality of buying a handgun across state lines now, or later?

OldOutlaw likes this.
  4. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

A Private sale or a sale by an FFL? FFL will have to legally transfer it to a
    FFL dealer in Illinois.
    If not, you are illegally transferring a pistol across state lines. A major State and Federal Offense. Here in Iowa, on the Illinois border, we have far too many Illinois residents over here trying to buy problem guns here and taking them back with no FOID Card or FFL involved. Our FFL dealers, nor private individuals, are selling to these guys. Too many caught in the past. Fines and Fed prison time is common in this area.

5. JimD1965

JimD1965 Member

Didn't say I did anything illegal, they had lots of magazines, lots of em!

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ok. So you might have said that instead of saying “guess what I found” in a thread about buying GUNS.

CamoDeafie likes this.
  7. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

The "average" profit at a gun shop per gun is about 20.00. Theyre trying to bump up that profit by having you buy a 1200.00 Browning Hi Power Practical and steering you away from the Hi Point. It's all dollar and cents.

The Hi Point Owner doesn't buy all of the additional bells and whistles as the Hi Power Buyer. No new grips, a bunch of magazines, different sites, repairs and custom gunsmithing and holsters.

The Hi Point owner spray paints their gun when the "finish" gets blemished, shoves them in 20.00 Uncle Mikes Holsters, feeds them and kind of ammo-because it will feed ALL makes and manufacturers and repairs? We send ours back to the manufacturer for free repairs and replacements. When the feed ramp needs to get "buffed and polished", we do it ourselves with a Dremel Tool.

8. I would sell mine but I don't want to pay anyone to take it....

Quavodus likes this.
  9. zimgir5000

zimgir5000 Member

Here in Minneso-cold you could find them new in some stores, but some places won't buy them from you. (gun stores mainly) Pawn shops will still give you something for them. I've asked many times about this and some say they're on a "list" or that the materials they're made of don't pass some high-temp test as far as holding up? They melt too easily? IDK.

10. engine2

engine2 Member

If you purchase from a dealer out of state and have it shipped to your local FFL you are not purchasing it from your local FFL. He is only doing the transfer for the Feds.

It may be illegal for the local for the local FFL to sell it, but he didn't sell it. It was legal for the out of state dealer to sell in his state, so he sold it.

According to a couple of FFL's here in MN.

Shopfox likes this.
  11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

MN isn't Illinois. You cannot purchase it from an out of State FFL and have it shipped to your FFL in Illinois for the transfer. Illinois law does not permit that.

"Chapter 5, paragraph 25.22(h) of the Illinois State Code makes it illegal for any dealer, importer, manufacturer or pawnbroker, to manufacture, sell or deliver to anyone, except another gun dealer licensed by the Federal government, any handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver that has a die casting of zinc alloy or any other non-homogenous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of 800 degrees Fahrenheit or less."

Zamak melting point is 725 degrees.

12. Neither will mAssachoo$hitz. If a pistol isn't listed on the mAss konpliant list, it's illegal for the FFL to transfer to an individual. However, individuals can do face-to-face transfers using the mAssachoo$hitz Gun Transaction Portal where your firearm activities will be duly noted for when confiscation begins.

13. OldOutlaw

I am right across the River from Illinois. NO, our dealers cannot sell and transfer any HiPoint into Illinois.

14. engine2

engine2 Member

I don't understand why you can buy a Sig 1911-22 made by GSG but cant't buy a 1911-22 GSG in MN.

I've read that Glock is made from a Nylon polymer either Nylon 6 (437°) or Nylon 6.6 (509°). So a Hi-Point that melts at 725° isn't OK but a Glock that melts at 200° less is OK? Sounds like B.S. to me.

15. histed

histed Supporting Member

It's the gubbamint, E2. Doesn't have to make sense. Some j-bird doesn't want poor people with guns, so no HP or RoF that might actually work. Helps the elite maintain power, iffen ya git ma drift.
    upload_2021-1-14_0-25-33.jpeg

engine2 likes this.
  16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The slide isn't polymer on a Glock the frame is. The slide and barrel are steel.
    Hipoint has a weaker frame and the slide is zamak .

OldOutlaw likes this.
  17. engine2

engine2 Member

So what about the double standard on the same GSG 22? Having a Sig stamping on it makes it better?

18. OldOutlaw

Does the Sig have a steel slide or a Zamak slide? What does the GSG have for slide material?

Have you checked into your Mn laws yet or just guessing?

19. engine2

engine2 Member

Own 1 Sig and 3 GSG, same firearm. Kinda like Chevrolet and GMC, same truck, different trim.

Have you ever called the State capital and got a correct answer?
    ie: State answer on a road grader beacon color, something that large it shouldn't matter. Wrong answer.
    ie: Farm tractor parts aren't taxed but tractor paint is. Tractor tires are a reduced rate.

Yes, I have called the State and haven't found anybody that had a clue. Not my first Rodeo.

20. OldOutlaw

Try the MN DNR. They should know. We sure don't here.