Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I purchased a used and abused Hi-Point 40. Looks like it's never been cleaned.

I'm using this manual:
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/JCP 40 SW.pdf

I drove out the retaining pin. Then I get to the step where it says..
Pull back the slide 3/8 of an inch and lift it off.

I'm stuck. I can't lift off the slide, it's as tight as a 1911 with the slide stop still in place.

Then I tried:
1. Wiggling the slide while trying to lift it off was a no go also.
2. Pulled the slide back 3/8 of inch and tapping the back part of the
slide that was sticking out on a rubber block. No movement...

According to the manual, it look like the only part holding this gun together
should be number 8, and with the retaining pin removed, should just
slide out of the notch?

Can someone save me? I don't want to take this gun to my smith and have him laugh at me because I can't do a field strip.

Thanks,
Reed

PS.. I did call support to get some parts and mags and I must give real credit. I've talked with Customer Support from a dozen different firearms companies and Hi-Point offers far and away the best customer support.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
I drove out the retaining pin. Then I get to the step where it says..
Pull back the slide 3/8 of an inch and lift it off.
Pull it back much further and lift the backside of the slide. Don't launch the dolls head and firing pin springs across the room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

I got it apart, fortunately Hi-Point had sent a spring kit. Included in the kit was a new doll's head made of plastic. It fit much better. Replacing the grips tightened up a lose safety and there was a ton of metal shavings and powder residue.

A couple of add on questions for bonus points. This model is actually a JC.

It did not have a recoil spring guide / plug, all the illustration's I've seen have one. Could it be the previous owner lost it? Maybe it didn't come with one from the factory? Maybe it would work with out it?

Where the sear sits was coated in a substance that looked like brown lithium grease? I took a couple of drops of gun oil on my finger and rubbed it a round on all the internal parts. I'll have to review other forum post on lubing discussions.

And the strangest part. When I took the firing pin and springs out to clean the channel, there was a sliver of metal about an inch and half long by about 1/16 of inch wide and about the thickness of aluminum foil peeling off the top wall of the channel. I sure hope this doesn't ruin the accuracy - I was wanting to make this my competition gun. =)

So I've figured out the right touch to get things apart, the right touch to replace the sites and how to replace a few parts. All and all a great day.

Reed

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
You have a very old model of the HP's. Is it alloy framed and straight grips, or just alloy framed and curvy grips?

Or is it some odd model with poly frame, but no JCP slide?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Attached is a photo. From my research I think it is considered an old model because of the magazine release being on the heel. Which would also make it a steel frame?

The serial number is between 119,000 - 120,000.

In the photo in the top right you can see the sliver of metal the peeled off the firing pin channel.

Has anyone had luck with retrofitting the safety with a pin or screw to tighten it up?

Thanks,
Reed

Attachments

·
loaded and ready!
193 Posts
Kinda odd. I have a newly mfg jhp45, and i too had a funky flat sliver of metal come off the firing pin block. It was like that before i even shot it once. I havent had any issues yet that im aware of. But with moms warranty i guess it doesnt matter.

If you ever decide to let that pistol, go id trade a new jhp for it or buy it for cash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Jc has never given me a problem just like the one you have but my serial number is in the 106,XXX.Lots of fun and easy to get used to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts