Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought this used was bone stock when I got it so I've been tinkering a bit. Stippled the grips with a cheap soldering iron and put on a couple coats of Testors enamel with an airbrush . Polished the breech block and trigger parts and colour filled the slide markings with model master "rust" colour paint. Still got a way to go but I love this pistol
20190428_122526.jpg
20190428_122540.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Bought this used was bone stock when I got it so I've been tinkering a bit. Stippled the grips with a cheap soldering iron and put on a couple coats of Testors enamel with an airbrush . Polished the breech block and trigger parts and colour filled the slide markings with model master "rust" colour paint. Still got a way to go but I love this pistol View attachment 53523 View attachment 53525
Welcome to the forum !!

·
Premium Member
21,296 Posts
Bought this used was bone stock when I got it so I've been tinkering a bit. Stippled the grips with a cheap soldering iron and put on a couple coats of Testors enamel with an airbrush . Polished the breech block and trigger parts and colour filled the slide markings with model master "rust" colour paint. Still got a way to go but I love this pistol
That's friggin awesome!!

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
The difference in hue is too noticeable.

·
Premium Member
21,296 Posts

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Well.....consider it a white canvas.
Do whatever inspires you.
Personally I think this is the shiznit

Reactions: billiot6

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Slide cutouts are cool. Do they effect the way the gun operates? I understand that lightening the slide can cause problems

·
Registered
364 Posts
Slide cutouts are cool. Do they effect the way the gun operates? I understand that lightening the slide can cause problems
I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't think that taking small amounts of metal off slide would effect anything.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Been thinking about machining a little off my JHP and C9 slide.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Well, I remember we've had discussions about this 5-6 years ago.
Lengthy discussions with people that didn't listen lol.
HP's are straight blowback pistols. Which means the recoil spring and the weight of the slide keep things in check and delay slide movement till pressure drops.
That's one reason why it's got such a humongous slide on it. A zamak ( partial zinc) slide needs to be that big to reach the weight requirement.
Any weight taken off will need to be compensated for.
Either by adding weight back in the form of an optic or by reducing the strength of the recoil spring which puts you in the 'experimental' category as there's surely a bit of a safety buffer engineered in for people shooting +P and unchecked handloads but I doubt anybody here can tell you what that safety factor is.
10%?50%? or is it just there to cover manufacturing tolerances?

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Well, I remember we've had discussions about this 5-6 years ago.
Lengthy discussions with people that didn't listen lol.
HP's are straight blowback pistols. Which means the recoil spring and the weight of the slide keep things in check and delay slide movement till pressure drops.
That's one reason why it's got such a humongous slide on it. A zamak ( partial zinc) slide needs to be that big to reach the weight requirement.
Any weight taken off will need to be compensated for.
Either by adding weight back in the form of an optic or by reducing the strength of the recoil spring which puts you in the 'experimental' category as there's surely a bit of a safety buffer engineered in for people shooting +P and unchecked handloads but I doubt anybody here can tell you what that safety factor is.
10%?50%? or is it just there to cover manufacturing tolerances?
"Zactly what I was thinking, just more Kirkified.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts