High capacity magazine ban overturned

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GrumpyOlMan, Aug 14, 2020.

1. GrumpyOlMan

GrumpyOlMan Member

Federal appeals court has overturned California's high capacity magazine ban as unconstitutional and found it to be too burdensome since it would outlaw 1/2 the country's magazines. It would be nice if this stands but I'm sure this isn't the end of it!

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    There'll have to be a new order issued rendering the applicable statute null and void. Of course, it could be appealed to SCOTUS. I don't know if the antis want to do that, though.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They do, and they will.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

OldOutlaw and CowboyBob like this.
  4. I heard on the radio that orders are shipping to CA as we speak.

7000al and 1024Megabytes like this.
  5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Yep, Brownell's is. PSA is taking orders.

Well, the mag shortage just hit, and the prices are going to take a big jump. CA people will be buying everything up tonight.

ajole and 1024Megabytes like this.
  6. Think1st

Florida
    And when they do, standard capacity magazines will become protected for real.
    إنشاء الله

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Based on the willingness of SCOTUS to take 2nd amendment cases right now?

The anti rights people are feeling pretty good about trying to take stuff to the Supreme Court right now.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

Don't forget your handgun mags too!!!

1024Megabytes and Think1st like this.
  9. Think1st

Florida
    Well, SCOTUS has been pretty sparing with its willingness to take 2A cases, so if they deny cert on this case, then the precedent will be pretty close to set for standard cap magazines.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So the anti rights crowd has nothing to lose by trying.

11. Think1st

Florida
    Well, they do. The precedent is set with the 9th that a ban on standard cap mags won't survive strict scrutiny. If SCOTUS denies cert, then the 9th Circuit's decision stands just a little firmer than it does at the moment. No one likes knowing that a favorable opinion is vulnerable to being overturned at the next highest level, and that's our side at the moment. If SCOTUS denies cert, then we'll rest a little easier, even if we would have preferred seeing this enshrined in a SCOTUS opinion.

By the way, they've been avoiding 2A cases like the plague over the last several years. If they take this one up, it will make me worry about what they intend to do with it and why they've chosen to go against their previous habit. I'll be nervous until this wraps up. Chief Justice Roberts has been a little unpredictable, to put it mildly.

7000al likes this.
  12. Standard thirty-two round capacity magazines now legal in California again. Hades has frozen over! This is great news. Buy them up while you can California citizens.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That's why the Colorado Supreme Court rushed through the mag ban case here. RMGO filed early, hoping to beat the 9th circuit ruling in case it went bad for their position, and the court took the case on ahead of much older cases in the queue in the event the 9th circuit struck down Cali's ban.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

The the 34rd Amend2's. Work great much cheaper!

15. I just bought an Amend2 brand thirty round magazine for the .300 Blackout AR-15 but I have not tried it out yet. It looks like it is decent quality.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

Don't have a 300BO. They run .223-5.56 like butter! I have a Amend2 .40 mag I need to try.

17. TheLASwamp

TheLASwamp Member

CA has a difficult choice to make. If they take it to the Supreme Court and lose, all states that have mag bans will lose theirs as well. Right now, only CA is affected. This is a strategic decision for the gun grabbers. They may very-well decide not go push it. Either way, a huge win for CA Americans.

Of course, now we're going to see mags catch up with the huge shortages and high prices we are seeing for guns and ammo.

Rerun likes this.
  18. If they do try to take it to the Supreme Court my opinion on the future turn of events is the Supreme Court will refuse to hear the case.

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

Buy now if you need them. It's only going to get worse. I yanked money out of my savings for ammo last night.

I'm thinking .223 is going to $.80-$1.20 per round buying in bulk by election time.