Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Any suggestions on a good defense round for the .45?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the range with my C-9 and my .45 to put some rounds through them and I decided to take a magazine of my new defense ammo to make sure everything was working properly and to my amazement I had two jams on the hollowpoint in the 9 rounds I shot of it.. very disapointed since those were going to be my home defense rounds. I was using he 185 grain rounds. My C9 shot flawless though, it made me happy since it was the first time I shot it.
Any suggestions on a good defense round?

·
Registered
235 Posts
My .45 JHP has a 1,000+ rounds through it and polished the throat and blah, blah , blah. It won't eat Hornady either. Don't know if I would really get excited about hi dollar HD ammo , the military has used 230gr fmj ammo for ever and knocked a lot of folks down. Punch a 1/2" dia hole in me and think it would take the wind out of my sails also. Just my opinion, but stick with what's reliable. A solid hit with a fmj beats the hell outta trying to club someone with a jammed weapon.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I agree with John H.
Bunch of people have been stopped with the FMJ. The 2R round nose was designed to be the best feeding ammo in 45ACP. That is why I cast my bullets for the JHP and C9 both with 2R style molds. For HD I don't worry so much about overpenetration since spackle and paint are cheap.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The military can does not use hollow point for a reason .. It's against the geneva conventions guideline. With this said the U.S. never signed the geneva convention ,but we generaly follow the guidelines in good faith .. Also most 1911 styles don't care much for the hollow point either .. The .45 fmj still inflicts one of the largest permanent cavity wounds out there for a handgun .. Why chance somthing different when its been a proven one shoot stopper in several wars and defence situations .. Stay with the FMJ in 230 grain . 8)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Federal Tactical HST feeds much better than hornady because it is pointier! Give it a try.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of those who replied... I agree with what you are saying about the FMJ rounds, I did go to walmart and find a 100 rd box of remington UMC JHP's for 36 bucks so I decided I would try them out, I still have 200+ rds of FMJ's so I am good with that, I have a local range/gun shop that gets rounds for the .45 @ 20 $/box of 50 and 16$/box of 50 for my C-9. I was using a new magazine with the JHP's and it could have been a feed issue, I know I hate jamming I will keep shooting to figure out if its the rounds or anything else, it is time to clean the .45 though.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
for what it's worth I handloaded a hundred rounds of Hornady 185gr HPs & they fed nicely. They were the XTP (eXtreme Terminal sumthin), but I made sure they were set to the exact over-all length, etc. They're about $20/100, if ya have a buddy with .45 dies maybe he could make ya some & see how they feed?

i wouldn't give-up jus' yet bro, when your JHP is hungry enough, it will eat ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.