Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. Im a new gun owner. I bought my JCP 40 new. I put about 800 rounds through it and cleaned it. After I put it back together I can hear the firing spring move back and forth in it. I know its not the drop saftey. I can see it through the mag well. Is this normal? I don't think it did that before I took it apart. If I rack the slide it stops of course and it dry fires fine. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Uncocked = Normal
Cocked = You forgot to install the firing pin

Reactions: fatal-bert33

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uncocked = Normal
Cocked = You forgot to install the firing pin
I cant say I understand sir. The firing pin and both spring are in it. Its just that if it's the gun back and forth I can hear the spring and everything sliding back and forth. Im just wandering if it's normal?

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
I cant say I understand sir. The firing pin and both spring are in it. Its just that if it's the gun back and forth I can hear the spring and everything sliding back and forth. Im just wandering if it's normal?
First off, welcome to the zoo.
Dog Bulldog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn
Second, You've now met Cic. He knows as much or more about Hi Points as anyone on the forum. He is, however, a man of few words. He's telling you that the if the rattle you're hearing happens whe the gun is uncocked (after dryfiring, for example), it's perfectly normal. My JHP will do the same thing. If, however, you hear teh rattle AFTER cocking the gun BUT before firing, you forgot to install the firing pin.
@cicpup - if I misquoted you, please forgive and correct

Reactions: fatal-bert33

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 64041 Second, You've now met Cic. He knows as much or more about Hi Points as anyone on the forum. He is, however, a man of few words. He's telling you that the if the rattle you're hearing happens whe the gun is uncocked (after dryfiring, for example), it's perfectly normal. My JHP will do the same thing. If, however, you hear teh rattle AFTER cocking the gun BUT before firing, you forgot to install the firing pin.
Ok now I understand. Thank you all for the wonderful help. Then yes I did it correctly. I just don't remember hearing it before. Im probably was just nervous i did something wrong.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
View attachment 64041 Second, You've now met Cic. He knows as much or more about Hi Points as anyone on the forum. He is, however, a man of few words. He's telling you that the if the rattle you're hearing happens whe the gun is uncocked (after dryfiring, for example), it's perfectly normal. My JHP will do the same thing. If, however, you hear teh rattle AFTER cocking the gun BUT before firing, you forgot to install the firing pin.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Ok now I understand. Thank you all for the wonderful help. Then yes I did it correctly. I just don't remember hearing it before. Im probably was just nervous i did something wrong.
They are not the easiest gun to tear down and put back together. Do it oftern enough, you'll get good at it. Plenty of people here to help, too. One more thing - when you have a problem, take pictures. It's easier to help if we can see what's going on. Some guys here are short on words, some are rather blunt, but 98% are trying to help a new guy out (unless he proves to be a....Richard Cranium).

·
Premium Member
8,975 Posts
You tore it down and put it back together. Your ahead of the curve.
@Zachary Stewart And you didn't put the sear in backwards. Your doubly ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You tore it down and put it back together. Your ahead of the curve.
Yea lol. I cant lie i watch YouTube haha. But yea it wasn't to bad. I had a little trouble with that darn recoil spring. Also the first time I forgot to connect the sear arm to the sear. But I'm learning my weapon pretty good. I'm planning on getting something different. Maybe a 1911. I have $350 now. Im gonna keep saving. Plus I need to pay for some good training.

·
Premium Member
21,441 Posts
JMO I would look for a double stack carry pistol probably in 9mm. Especially if you can get a carry permit in your state. 1911, and the JCP aren't the best carry choice.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I never noticed before, but I just checked mine and my firing pin spring does the same. Which proves what cicpup said cause mine shoots like a dream.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,441 Posts
I shot a guy in the pinkie finger with a .45. He fell like a sack of potatoes...............or was that the pinkie toe? Anyways slow and fat is where it's at?

I'll take 4-Tee for the win Alex.............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts