High Price

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by gaylenstone, Oct 3, 2015.

1. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Hello all

Just wondering how pricing is in your area, I am in eastern KY and looking to add a hipoint 380 or 2nd c9 in about a week. My question to you all is and dont doubt me I know they are good guns, however, my area the 380 is running about 165-170 dollars and the 9mm is about 180 or so. Seems I can get a Taurus tcp for 200 or a pt111 9mm for about 220. Any idea on why the sudden jump in price on hi point. My 9mm was 139 new less then 2 years ago. Ive done a bit of shopping in my three county area and find that what used to be hi points market is now jimenez arms and cobra (both offering 380s cobra 129, jimenez 139)

I actually bought the cobra 380 denali and while it wasnt a bad gun, it just didnt fit my hand good, shooting it was not painful but not fun either. The grip was just too small and short, as for the Jimenez well it feels better then the cobra but I am a bit put off by it. I know my hi point is good, i know their 380 is good, just wondering if i should wait a payday and just buy the taurus.

Ive never shot any taurus made guns, the tcp seems like it would recoil a lot due to size the pt111 however looks nice. Any thoughts on decisions here, it will be a backup or home defense weapon. Probably for the wife to carry around in her car and back, perhaps conceal carry at some point.

Thanks all

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Just looked at Bud's. C9 was $152. Add your FL and you are up to $170 - 180, so looking at it that way I guess $180 ain't too bad?

I have a Taurus TCP. It jumps around a bit, but it doesn't have that stinging recoil like some other small 380's have. It's accurate to boot!

My SIL carries a PT111G2. He really likes it, like most other owners of them do. Me? I don't like the trigger. His has been very reliable though. Taurus is offering a $50 rebate on them right now.

3. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Just seems like when everyone hated on hi points they sold them cheap. Once people started liking them they jack the price up. I love my hi point but at the same price as a Taurus I have to say Ill go the other road, lighter and slimmer and easier to conceal not sure why these taurus guns are priced so close but I really like the pt111 g2 picture wise anyway, never shot one though but cant be too bad.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Hickok has a good review of the PT111G2. Sorry, tried to get a link, but my android is not cooperating with me.

He talks about the reliability, which is good, and the trigger. He has the same issue with the trigger that I do. It has a lot of take up then a pretty good break at the very rear. In my opinion, this is what causes it's reputation of shooting low and left.

But again, I am in the minority on this issue, most people seem to be very happy with theirs!

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

We have several LGS's around Ohio, taking turns on who is going to sell HP's the cheapest. CF-380's & C9's go for $129 about every other week here. Woodbury Outfitters had the JHP-45 for $139 all of September!

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

You've got this awesome thing called the internet. You can have price comparisons for all 50 states in a matter of seconds.

Heres the thing, if your brainwashed into the "its only good if its stupid cheap" then nothing is going to make you happy.
    Obviously, since we have an entire forum dedicated to the brand, we think they are good firearms.

Do some research, you'll have answers days before youll have different replies for something so easy to find your answer.

7. Hickok's newest video where he is just shooting the chit for awhile.He casually compares Hi Point to a 'cheap screw driver,but it works'.
    Whatever.He sure knows his firearms and has his opinion.You can't expect a Rolex out of a Timex.But the latter fires straight and true,like the former.
    And that leaves me more $money$ for ammo!

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Order from Cheaper Than Dirt. They usually have good prices on their Hi Points. Even though you might get gouged on ammo during panics, at least you can get a good deal on a Hi Point, most times.

9. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Ohh i dont mean to say anything bad about hi point. I know they are good and i would trust my c9 with my life anytime. Im just saying that i think our lgs in my area are cheating people.

I also know i can order online, however, by the time i ship it and pay my ffl 50.00 to xfer (going rate around here) i might as well just buy it here. They charge such high fees to discourage internet shopping.

Im hoping to find either a c9 or cf380 in one of the pawn shops used, those usually around 135ish.

My first ever gun purchase was a hi point 380 back in 07 nib was 119.00 everyone told me i was stupid for buying it, proved them wrong from day one. I knew nothing about firearm ownership at that time, never even oiled it, ran perfect for me.

I just cant figure why they are so close in cost. I know the lgs isnt paying anywhere near what thet are making on selling them.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Do an Internet search on FFL dealers within a 30-mile radius of your zip code, and then look at all of the stick pins that show up. You may find that a good number of them aren't even at an LGS and that they are actually just individuals who run small businesses out of their homes. In those cases, you might be able to find someone who can transfer you one for much less than $50.

11. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Lol just stopped by one of my lgs just to see what he had, a month ago the jimenez arms 380's at this shop were 139.00, he is asking 189.99 for the 380 and 209.00 for the 9mm. Thats just ripping people off, i know he has had those guns for at least 3 months and i doubt jimenez changed their price. I woukd pay the 170 for the c9, i know its a good gun but 190 for a jimenez thats just crazy.

12. i have noticed the price increase in my area as well

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It really depends on what you want it for. I have all of the above guns. TCP is a nice gun. Ankle holster or pocket carry is easy. HP is kind of a pain to lug around. But fun to shoot

14. You can always go with Buds Gun Shop online & call around local FFL'S for a lower transfer fee..

15. didn't give that much (to me anyway) for my 45 new 159 tax bg and all