Hipoint .45 deal

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by gaylenstone, Aug 20, 2015.

1. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Hey all found a guy here in my town that is wanting to trade off a hipoint .45 acp for some computer work (about average of 100 worth) being a tech and all if this deal goes thru i get to spend about 2 hours fixing computers and networks and I get a nice .45 hipoint for my troubles. I have never held nor fired one and just wanted some thoughts on it. How is the recoil say compared to a c9 hi point and what ammo have you all found that runs well in it (fmj and hollow point) im betting my trusty critical defense will run in it great (hey its not a love story, just mostly all thats sold around here, though i have to say it does a nice job of tearing stuff up :) Also if anyone has ever tried a .40 and a .45 which was worse on recoil, ive heard the 40 is sharper and the 45 is more spread out. Thanks all and happy shooting

PS wife is loving the bersa we got, she can hit a 5" group at 25 feet pretty reliable.
    Pss any thoughts on the walmart 22lr special mossberg 702 plinkster you know for some cheap fun :D seems really cheap for a semi auto at 112.00

2. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Go ahead pull the trigger on the Mossy 702 plinkster,, matter of fact may wanna just go ahead and get two,, his and hers if you will.
    Have bought five over the last couple years,, every time a grandkid goes to the range with me,, I end up having to buy another,, when they claim the one I took as there own..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015

3. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Well the mossy wont be for me, im already living on peanuts after buying a bersa 380 last week :D fun though, runs great almost as good as my c9 :p well cant knock either, both throw lead everytime i tell them too the c9 just throws a slightly larger version. wife is loving the bersa and while i am now gonna carry the c9 as a concealed (once i get my papers) for the time being if i get this 45 tomorrow i will now have the i think 3 most common handgun calibers one could have minus the 38 (not a revolver fan). My brother in law has been looking for a good low cost 22 rifle for his all but legal adopted son (neighbors kid, stays with him more then home with grandma) wants to teach him to shoot and how to handle a weapon but hes only 9 so good time to start with the 22. Hope all is well out there in internet land, ill post pics if i get the .45 tomorrow

4. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

Well the .45 fell thru the roof today, turns out his son wanted the gun and took it a couple days ago and 'forgot' to tell him. Im a bit broke up cause i wanted a 45 and free is a really good price. However I ended up with another gun, one I almost bought a week or so ago and mentioned in another post. The same son had bought a cobra denali 380 new from buds a few weeks ago for his girlfriend but she didnt like it. After a few phone calls it came home with me and is now resting in its box here at work. I know i know, cobra doesn't have the best name and this isnt going to be a carry piece at least right now. What I can tell you is that i have looked at the ca and fs 380 cobra pistols and they seemed to be crap, from the get go on those i noticed bad machining, rough feed ramp, burs all over the slide and just poor workmanship. However I will say that tonight I field stripped this little denali to clean and oil it and possibly do some mild fluff and buff and too my very surprise it looks like no cobra I have ever seen. I confirmed with the original owner that nothing had been done to the gun, not even been shot yet or so he says. The feed ramp is smooth, shiny silvery goodness with no notches or hang ups at all, the slide is smooth and even with no machine marks at all, the barrel is pressed even with no lips or malformations at all. I for what its worth can not find a single thing wrong with this gun, slide was a bit hard to rack until i cleaned and oiled it, also still had the factory preservative on the internals and barrel. Trigger pull is god awful and not smooth at all but I am not skilled enough to mess with that so hopefully after some shooting it will loosen up a bit. Every thing is tight, no rattle. Guess ill find out in a week how she runs, I will take a few pics and post them so you all can see what I am talking about but for now heres a pic of it. The gun is about as plain jane as possible, slide has no marks at all on it, nothing. Frame has Kodiak Denali 380 stamped on it with the serial up under the barrel in front of the trigger. Grips are just black flat plastic with no markings at all, will have to get a grip for it on payday for better hold. These sell around here for 129-139 new and while I decided a week ago not to buy one and bought a bersa anyway, fate has either smiled on me or kicked me one, only time will tell, but for free I guess it cant be too bad. Ohh still has the warranty card in the box :D so lifetime warranty

Attached Files:

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You can still trade it towards a JHP.

6. Many parts on the Cobra CA series are used in the Denali. Trigger, F/P and spring, safety, etc. Watch the safety - the ball and spring underneath appear to be free floating and can go to never-never land.

7. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

So I have a few pictures of the insides of the Cobra denali, mind you i have done nothing but clean and oil it, no fluff no buff. As for trading it to a jhp that might be its fate at a later point but for now i cant afford to pay any extra for the trade. I bought a bersa plus 380 last week that was more then i had budgeted for but couldn't pass it up, this one was free. I am planning on shooting it next Saturday and ill post some results on how it fairs. Tell me what you think, the pics are not the best quality but better then what i had last night, ohh and no ducks were harmed in the taking of these pictures :p

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Lot of hate for Cobra. I for one like the Denali and the Patriot. Limited time with either one, but no problems during that limited time.

9. JH45

JH45 Member

WTF? Looks like a Hi-point inside...is HP a clone/copy? I thought HP was an original design.

10. Naw it's just a Cobra CA380 rendered in polymer. And the Cobra CA380 is just a Davis P380, which is just a Raven MP-25 on steroids.

11. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Too bad about losing out on the JHP 45. They are very accurate and dependable. I think of them as the poor man's 1911.

You absolutely need to get a .22 rifle when finances allow. Can't beat 'em for pleasant, low-cost shooting with zero recoil.

12. Attached Files:

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  14. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

In my area hp 45 sells for average of 199, cobra like mine is 129. From what I understand this is supposed to be a huge improvement over the ca380 build quality is pretty good from what I can tell I'll get that 45 one day but for now it beats a stick and is the same caliber as the wife's gun plus I still have my c9

15. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

From what I can gather its similar to the ca380 but much improved. Seems to be made from stronger materials then the ca series with better workmanship and better qc. The slide isn't compatible with any other gun according to cobra. I have realistic expectations from it, it will be a truck gun more then likely. Since the wifey took the bersa I'm going to carry my c9 until I can afford to get the sccy I want, unless this cobra really impresses me.From looking at the Feed ramp and basing on other reviews the cobra shouldn't have trouble feeding hollow points.

16. This is very true.
    Although I could mount a CA380 slide on a Denali the CA380 slide won't travel back far enough to strip ammo from the Denali's mag. :(

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hope it works out for ya!