Hipoint 45 ftf nose up

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Bmason_80, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Bmason_80

Bmason_80 Supporting Member

I received a used jhp45 acp. I think it's a great firearm. My problem is that on a fully loaded 9rd mag there is a nose up ftf on the 3rd or 4th shot. I tried 3 diff mags and different ammo all ammo has been 230 grain rn some brass cased and some aluminum. If I only place 5 rounds in mag there is no problem. Is this a magazine spring problem or something else? I appreciate any ideas for fixing this.
    The ammo I have had problems with
    Blazer brass
    Monarch brass
    Sellier & bellot
    Federal aluminum
    Federal brass
    The firearm came with some sellier & bellot that had red on the primers. These fired fine. I don't know what the red was

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:bmason_80!!!
    Sounds like you need to tap the back of the mags after you load them.
    Sets the rounds better for feeding.
    Other than that, could be old springs.
    Are all the mags used too?

3. Bmason_80

2 mags are used. I notice that when loaded the top round seems to be loose it will sit parallel with the mag lips and nose dive if I push it slightly. The springs look to be very narrow for a 45 ... Looks to me like 9mm springs. I'm no expert this is my 3rd handgun

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A couple of possibilities exist.

HP mag springs aren't consistently the same, some have an extra 1/2 turn on them

Then, they seem to be assembled oddly, with the higher bit pushing on the rear of the follower.

These are .40 mags, but they are the same for our purposes. They are laid out exactly as I took them apart. Sure enough, different lengths, high part to the rear.

So...do the slap the thing on your hand to settle all the rounds to the rear, then try flipping the spring around. Also, it could just be more break-in needed.

5. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Push the follower all the way down slowly with a pencil or ruler looking for a "tight" spot. If you find one, put a drop of oil on each side of the follower and then work it up and down 100 times or so to loosen it up. Worked for me.

6. Bmason_80

Thanks for the feedback. Why are these magazines such a pain to open

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Butter knife between the mag body and the base plate to lift the tab while holding the mag in your hand and using your thumb to apply pressure to the base plate to keep the tabs from snapping back in to place.

8. Bmason_80

I've been using shims for starter. There is not room for a butter knife on my mags

9. Rachgier

I've got a 4095, and it uses the same mag body and base plates that yours does. Butter knife works great. A little bit of properly applied force goes a long way. I have also used a paint can opener on the outside of the base plate to help lift the tabs up to get the butter knife under it. And I have used an old set of feeler gauges before just to see if they worked.

10. Bmason_80

The knife trick works. I have tried rotating the springs .no luck I've always tapped the mags. I did notice some wear at the bottom of the feed ramp. If it was a problem like that wouldn't I have more ftf?

11. Rachgier

It could be the front feed lips, could be the springs are still a bit too stiff or long, could be the follower, could be the feed ramp.

I thought it was my carbine when all but the used mag I got from an HPFF member had FTF's. Turns out it was the feed lips were way out of tolerance, and the mag springs were a half turn too long. I would use clipping a spring as the last and final resort and start with the feed lips. If you are getting flip feeds, it's possible your follower is binding up in the mag body, or the feed lips need adjusting in to tighten up closer to the bullets so they don't jump up like that.

Knock off any sharp edges on the follower, twist your springs so they are as straight as possible so they don't bind as the follower travels up and down in the mag, work the follower up and down to "break-in" the springs, and if you can, get a picture of the loaded mag from a 12 o'clock high position so we can see the feed lips in relation to the round while loaded in the magazine.

12. Bmason_80

Feed lips

Fully loaded 9 rounds

Attached Files:

13. Rachgier

That actually looks pretty damn good. I would have to say it's not the feed lips being too far apart.

I would focus on the springs and smoothing out the follower next. Clean up the follower with some LIGHT sanding, and break-in your springs with the dowel/pencil method, or do what I did and load and unload them while you're sitting around watching TV, movie, etc. Leave the mags loaded when you're not shooting them.

14. Bmason_80

I sanded the follower on each mag and all the springs appear to be straight. I reassembled each mag with the narrow end up and the higher part to the rear of the follower. Fully loaded each and let them sit. Hopefully later today I will be able to try them out. If anyone has more suggestions I am listening..

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ?Sounds:confused:Backwards?

16. Bmason_80

I was thinking that but I was going by what ajole stated earlier .. When I took the mags apart 2 of the 3 were assembled that way

17. Rachgier

Yeah, the follower in the 40 mag has a weird base to it the makes you think the springs are in backwards, but they aren't.

18. Recoman

Recoman Supporting Member

Shouldn't the high part of the spring be towards front of mag to push front of cartridges to ramp? I have only worked on a 9mm tho, so can't say about 40 or 45.

19. Bmason_80

So this is wrong

Attached Files:

20. Rachgier

No, that's how the springs go. Trust me...