Hipoint .45 or Taurus 24/7?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Hi guys, I realize there will probably be a little bias towards hi-point on this forum :wink: but I am looking to add a .45 pistol to my collection.

I was leaning towards the hi-point since I do like them (the company) so much... But I DID just get a Christmas bonus so the used (near mint) Taurus 24/7 .45 I saw last week is now more of an option than ever.... what do you all think? :?:

2. Ari

Ari Guest

What u want to with the gun? And what other guns you have?

3. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    All I have at the moment is the 995 carbine and a Glock 19.
    Just looking to add a .45 to take to the range with me for something with a little more punch.
    I am leaning towards the Taurus to be honest in case I decide to cc at some point.

4. Ari

Ari Guest

Put a nice scope on the 995 and buy some extra mags and a new holster for the Glock. And call it good! Or put a new scope on the 995 and buy (I cant believe I going to say this) Mosin of some kind...

5. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I do have an ATI Stock, Laser & compensator on the way (Christmas Gifts) & I do have a CC holster for the Glock. Going to get a .45 one way or another just looking for some advice on which one :D

6. hpman

hpman Guest

How much was the 24/7? Saw a couple in ATL for $329 recently. Just wondering what prices you've seen. Actually thought about purchasing a 24/7 myself but might get the 9mm(much cheaper ammo). Taurus and HP seem to be very similar companies, both have lifetime no questions asked warranties and stand behind their products.

7. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    They were asking $350 but usually will haggle a bit (unless it's consignment of course)

8. Forget em both go with a good 1911.......................lol either is a good weapon i have fired both. I like the points cause they are cheaper and allow more ammo to be bought but the 24/7 is a good weapon also just go with you gut feeling..................but seriously check uot a 1911..

9. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

If you can afford it I would pick the Taurus. The S&W Sigma is also a good quality budget weapon.

10. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

Your gonna think I'm crazy but I've got both and prefer the Hi point 45 it seems more accurate to me. There are those whom would disagree with me and that is their right this is only my personal opinion. You have to make the ultimate decision on which one you purchase.

11. Sigma is a great weapon I still have mine. :D Although i think the secret is out cause they are going up in price...................... :cry: ...............my candy store is selling them for around the 400$ mark thats how much i paid for my M&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

That was another reason why I recommended the Hi Point they are starting to go up also but not as drastic. Plus they are accurate very accurate

13. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Gonna stop today and take a look at the Taurus again. I'll probably agonize over it until someone else buys it, then get mad at myself for not getting it while I could.

14. 1motion

1motion Guest

well i have shot both and unless its the OSS 24/7 i think if you shot them side by side you would be pissed at yourself for spending the extra money..... but if you are wanting to use it for ccw then the .45 hi point is a little bulky for that but thats what the glock can be for

15. Fenix

Fenix Guest

1 vote for the taurus, the hp .45 is great and all from what i've heard and learned but that taurus just fits like a glove AND you get +4 mag capacity out of them.

16. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Ended up with a Ruger p345 used(the Taurus was gone).
    The Ruger was obviously barely used, still had everything in the box & not a nick or scratch on it. It was on consignment & priced to sell (300). Apparently the original owner let his pistol permit expire & didn't want to go through everything again. I'd really be surprised if there were more than 200 rounds put through it.
    I will, of course change that this week. :twisted:

17. whats a pistol permit expirering have to do with anything? (im in michigan) Oh and congrats on the new ruger

18. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    He had it in MA, let it expire & moved to CT. CT would make him take a NRA Pistol Safety course & go through all the steps to get a permit again. $130 for the course, then near another $100 for the associated permit fees.

19. Amistad

Amistad Guest

Sounds like you got a nice deal. I've had a P345 for a few months and I absolutely love the gun! I've put about 2K rounds through it and it has been a dream to shoot. I suspect this is going to be one of those guns that I'll always have.

You might already know about it, but there is an issue with Ruger P345 and SR9 pistols in which damage can occur to the gun if you dry fire it without a magazine being in place. So, always ensure that you have one inserted when you dry fire...

Amistad

20. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I did know about that Amistad but I do appreciate the helpful reminder :)
    Did a lot of research on it yesterday right after I bought it. I had bought some snapcaps along with it so I'll be using them for dry firing & getting a feel for the double action trigger pull.

Snapped off a couple rounds in my girlfriends' backyard yesterday (she has a few acres surrounded by preserved wetlands). I knew I wouldn't be able to get to a range until midweek and I really wanted to make sure there were no mechanical problems with it. Worked flawlessly (of course I only fired one mag) and I can't wait to take it out.

I do like the fact that while it is thin enough for a cc, the grip feels a lot larger than my glock19 (I have big hands/long fingers).