Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the LGS today, picked up two boxes of 9mm Luger.

Conversation went like this:

LGS guy: What are the rounds for?
Me: HiPoint 9mm Carbine, Beretta 9mm Mil-Spec, and Hipoint C9 that my wife will own on Monday.
LGS guy: Why are you getting her a HiPoint?
Me: She's never really carried or fired anything except a .222 bolt action and a .22 LR single action revolver before. Can't beat hipoint's price or the fact that she can't really bang up polyurethane and if she does it has the whole lifetime repair/replacement deal.
LGS guy: Well, they do have a great warranty, but believe me, you will be sending that gun back in, quite a bit.
Me: OK.

I would assume no one on this forum has the same feelings about HiPoint firearms. However, this will be the first HiPoint Pistol I have ever owned, and like all guns I would assume problems can occur. Anything major that a factory lemon scenario could offer and I can educate my wife on?

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I don't have the 9 I have the JHP .45 but like any firearm there is a break in period, some of that you can lessen , look around here with the search for feed ramp polishing etc. I will say the one thing to keep in mind with the hi point pistols or any blowback design limp wristing will cause feed problems so make sure you show your wife proper grip and how to maintain it through the recoil that will eliminate many first time shooting a HP problems in itself. My .45 needed around 300 rds through it and it feeds fine now, except for my reloads which i think is my fault OAL etc but working that out. Factory ammo is like butter though. As for what he told you, I've had mine for a couple years now..trips back to mother for service/warranty? ZERO. Oh and :welcome:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
:welcome: from Dixon, IL

I own a CF380, two C9's, an ODGreen JCP40SW, a JHP45, a 995, I have a black JCP40SW on lawaway that will be picked up next week, and next will be another CF380 and an ODGreen JHP45.

I have only had issues with one of the C9's because it was a worn out used gun when I bought it last week. I sent it off to Hi Point and we'll see how the warranty work goes. Shouldn't be an issue. Other than that I have had only one jam with only one other Hi Point Pistol and that was not the gun's fault... I was using home grown reloads and one of the cases was not sized properly so it didn't chamber.

Your wife will really like the C9. My wife shot the CF380 first and really liked it. I moved her up the the C9 and she will notice no difference.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I'm still breaking in my JHP but my C9 worked flawlessly out of the box. Your comment that "Can't beat hipoint's price or the fact that she can't really bang up polyurethane and if she does it has the whole lifetime repair/replacement deal." is precisely why I will continue to purchase from Hi-Point. I don't mind tweaking the weapon to get it flawless if necessary given the price and warranty.

Some people are just obsessive about perfection and will never be pleased. As for my JHP lacking in perfection, I've enjoyed tweaking it and I enjoy learning to understand the weapon and how it works. However, I'm just "geeky" that way; I love tearing stuff apart to see how it works then putting it back together to see if it still works! :angel:

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
IMO gun stores don't like HPs because they can't make as much profit off of them (in general) as with other guns, and since they have the warranty you won't be coming back to the GS for repairs. I've had a 995 for a few years now with over 1000 rounds through it and other than a bent firing pin (which I later learned was caused by me, not a defect) I haven't had any trouble. HP gave me a new firing pin for free. I bought a used C9 comp at a gun show a while back that was in bad shape and sent it in to HP and they replaced basically everything but the frame and barrel and included an extra magazine and a bunch of parts the gun would have came with it I had bought it new. Other than the initial send in, it's going great :)

Hi Point makes a quality product!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
:welcome:

Just wondering if the LGS sells Hi Points or anybody there own one. Seems most negative comments are made by somebody that read it on a thread or has a friend that has a friend, that has a friend, that has a friend, that has a friend that owns one. Still 0 problems for me!

·
Registered
560 Posts
:welcome:

I have had my C9 for over six months and I love it.
I have put about 500 rounds through it, and have only had a couple of FTF's
Make sure you break in the magazine or it will have feed issues right out of the box.
I would suggest only loading 6 rounds for about the first 100 rounds, then it should feed all 8 rounds without a problem. Also, limp wristing is a big thing, teach your little lady to grip the gun firmly.

Here is a video of my C9 and my .40 in action.

Here is my friend with my C9

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I was looking at what looked like a NIB JHP .45 at a pawn shop. Price on it was $160. The employee told me 'forget it is is junk. I would be better to throw it at someone then shoot them.' I just smiled and mentioned that on the forums there is nothing but praise for them. I am sure they will let it go for a song being it is 'junk'. Oh and he said they warranty all the guns they sell except the HiPoint. I was thinking who needs their warranty when there is Hi Point's !!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I was looking at what looked like a NIB JHP .45 at a pawn shop. Price on it was $160. The employee told me 'forget it is is junk. I would be better to throw it at someone then shoot them.' I just smiled and mentioned that on the forums there is nothing but praise for them. I am sure they will let it go for a song being it is 'junk'. Oh and he said they warranty all the guns they sell except the HiPoint. I was thinking who needs their warranty when there is Hi Point's !!
I would have said "If it's a POS why don't you let me have it for a hundred bucks"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. I just picked up another 995 about 2 weeks ago, before the Army I had one that I gave to my little brother and he still hasn't had any problems with it. It is interesting that other than one LGS that carries them, everyone else around here makes Hi Point pistols in particular sound like the guns going to dissolve in your hands.

Limp wristing is going to be an issue, as was arch-backing when I showed her how to fire a rifle. But she won't be sending any live rounds down range untill shes held it for awhile and become comfortable with it.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Nothing beats a wife who likes to go shooting with you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fired 50 rounds from my new C9 today and it preformed flawlessly. Wish I could say the same about my ability to hit what I am aiming at, but with practice I think that will improve. I paid $139.00 plus tax for the C9 here in western PA.

Roy

·
Registered
663 Posts
The HP line ups are good guns.
The C9 is a low price pistol that does very well at defensive ranges. You should know though that the C9 like all pistols have a required brake in period before you consider using it for defensive purposes.
As with all guns you should be sure to run what ever type of ammo you are thinking about using through it to be sure that it feeds, ejects and has zero magazine related issues. HPs have a typical 300 to 500 round brake in period and this should be followed.
If the pistol is not working smoothly after 500 rounds you may need to send it in to HP for work.
My C9 took 250 rounds to brake in and has been like a Swiss clock since.
You will probably want to pick up more magazines for your HP from your FFL or from the HP web sight. Try not to buy after market (ProMag) magazines as they do not work 99% of the time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
+1 on factory magazines.
I have heard nothing but bad things about them.
Also, I would just order from the company. I over paid by about 5 bucks for an extra mag for my C9, but i figured it was worth it since I didnt have to wait for it to be shipped to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would have said "If it's a POS why don't you let me have it for a hundred bucks"
lol i second that... :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
As has been mentione4d before, the "bashers" seldom have any experience with Hi-Point arms.

There is a process by which an opinion becomes "common knowledge", which is different than objective truth. If any opinion, no matter how odd or even untruthful, is repeated often enough by enough different sources, it becomes "common knowledge", not truth, but widely accepted as true. I first read of this in "Public Opinion and Propagenda" by Leonard W. Doob, PhD. in the 1950s.

Over the years I've seen and heard this so often. And "Hi-Point arms are junk" is one more example of common knowledge. Any problem with a Hi-Point product serves to supply anecdotal evidence of just how poor the Hi-Point quality really is. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it is selective and not objective.

Any firearm from any manufacturer can and will have failures. However, depending on the cost and perceived quality of the item, these failures are seen as anomalies rather than evidence of poor quality as in the case of Hi-Point products.

My experience with my c-9 is 100% performance from the very first day. By contrast, a friend's expensive "pretty pistol" required 3 trips back to the mother ship to work out problems. He saw this performance as odd, but not evidence of poor quality. Had I experienced the same with my c-9, I suspect that would have added to the "common knowledge" but not truth, of poor Hi-Point quality.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You guys can take this as you will, but I'm gonna throw it out there:

My buddy Ryan bought a used C9 from a member on here, right around the time I bought a (barely) used Taurus 24/7 from a woman at work. For arguments sake, I'd say the C9 had probably been fired more than my Taurus. When we went to the range, he had problems all day long with all different types of ammo and with both magazines. My Taurus had no problems with any ammo from 3 mags and we both put around 100+ rounds through them. Ryan's 6'2", 185lbs and definitely wasn't limp-wristing the gun. It was fired by other people as well.

Just my personal experience...I wouldn't trade my Taurus for a C9 on any day. I'd feel totally comfortable using it for self defense right this very minute. Maybe it does need to be sent in for work, but doesn't that seem to be the norm with the C9...?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts