Hit Condition Orange last night

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jul 24, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I took my kids to Vacation Bible School last night. As they were attending classes and singing songs such as "When The Roll is Called Up Yonder" I was sitting in the lobby with some other adults, reading a book on my phone. I chose a chair which faces the door and backs to a wall. Just an old habit.

About half way through the VBS time period, with a church building bursting at the seams with children, a man I'd never seen before walks in. Blue jeans, a light T-shirt, and some sort of semi-rigid black strap-on vest; wide shoulder straps, some amount of side cover, the front extending a few inches below the ribs.

[​IMG]

I plastered a big stupid smile on my face (which doubtless never reached the eyes), holstered my phone, stood up, and slipped both hands into my pockets. You can guess what the right hand was gripping. OK, don't guess.

[​IMG]

I immediately changed my "target program" from chest-chest-head to pelvis-pelvis-head.

He stood there, just past the door, waiting patiently as the official "greeter" went up to say "hi" and shake his hand. I took the opportunity to scan his belt-line and pockets, and kept an eye on his hands.

For reasons which I understand "clinically," but still make no sense "emotionally," I distinctly recall noting that my heart rate was slightly elevated but that I wasn't in full on adrenal dump and then thinking, the equivalent of, "blast it! a 6+1 380 w/ a single reload is NOT what I would have brought if I'd have known this was going to happen!"

...still standing there, hands in my pockets, smiling as if every-blinking-thing was right as rain.

He was probably 30 feet away and I couldn't hear much (any, really) of the conversation but something was tickling my brain about the torso armour. It seemed too "stylized," ya know? Like it was meant to be seen. Had some sort of white polygonal emblem prominently on the chest and some sort of odd polygonal "ridges" molded into the chest-piece. I could tell that the vest definitely had a back piece to it which extended lower but I hadn't been able to get a good look at it. I'm anything but an expert in ballistic vests but the more I saw of this vest the less I thought it was "bullet proof armor."

Eventually, the preacher came out and spoke with the gent. He was asking permission to fly RC aircraft on our property. Our church is on the outskirts of town and has a large "yard," framed on two sides by cornfields (our property also, which we rent to a farmer). We get a few RC guys, so, as long as it's not when we have service or some event going on, it's cool.

When he turned to leave I could see the back of the vest. It extended down to the hips and had a jointed, flexible, tail-bone protector which extended (obviously) half down the butt. Reminded me of a tire tread, a little bit.

Ahh... Now I get it. Must be motor-cycle armour. Wish I'd thought to look at his shoes to see if they were work or cycle boots, but it never occurred to me. I didn't follow him out to be sure if he was on a bike. If so, I assume he left his helmet sitting there.

Looked pretty similar (though not identical) to this, only in black.

[​IMG]

I'm thankful that's all it was and that I didn't freak out or over-react, drawing down on him. But, still, some random stranger wearing a black "body armor vest" wanders into a church chock-a-block with defenseless children... I'm not one to tell someone else what they can and can't wear, but c'mon now; if it had been someone other than me, well, the guy coulda got his dick shot off. :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Ahhh, nothing like the smell of panic in the morning....smells like...dookie

Attached Files:

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

In today's world, hard to even pretend you overreacted.....

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    A little bit of vigilance is never a bad thing. Some of the disasters that have happened may have been prevented if someone had thought to surreptitiously investigate.

5. Grant

Grant Member

Glad you were aware and vigilant enough not to use the TCP.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

sitting here in the lobby again tonight. Only this time I decided to slip my Kel Tec P11 (12+1, 9mm, w/ reload) into my wristband. Slipped the TCP into my left pocket as BUG, though.

The event, combined with another gunbuster shooting, just set my teeth on edge.

I'm still pretty sure the dude was innocuous or I'd have stuffed my Sub2000 with a couple of happysticks in a "manbag" and brought that too.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

If you would have had a 7.63x25 you wouldnt have to had to worriy about body armor. Most loads even the commercial ones will "burn" through body armor with little or no effort. Try them, you might like them!

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Kirk's got a set of CZ's and a pack of Makarov's.
    Good going Kirk, I see nothing wrong from my Friday evening quarterback chair

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

SWAGA is right, my favorite handgun is a modded CZ Vz52. I used it to qualify Expert on the NRA-Winchester Pistol course several years back now.

I very nearly chose it to ride my belt tonight in Condition One, but, honestly, I'm beginning to believe that a "no safety" pistol makes more sense for CC/SD.

While the '52 sure shoots WAY more comfortably and has penetration and armor-defeating capabilities, the P11 has no safety to fumble, twice yhe capacity, and conceals better.

I still might go with the '52 tomorrow night, though.

10. SWAGA

No safety to fumble if you carry it condition 2 like I do.
    My striker fired .380 is chambered with safety on and the CZ52 and Par 12-45 are condition 2.

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Sounds to me like you passed judgement on the guy because of his clothes. Isnt that something church teaches not to do?
    Yea there's some tension with recent events, but at the same time we cant get ready to shoot everyone that "doesnt look right".

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Condition Two on a '52 is no different than Condition One. I would still have to manually manipulate something. I either have to swipe the safety or cock the hammer.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Should of had your P11 to begin with I'm telling on you. :p

lklawson likes this.
  14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you can. That's the point of being vigilant.

I picked up my brother in law and niece from the grocery store this afternoon. In my rear view I saw a young man running in the direction of my suburban while they were putting groceries in the back of my truck. My hand immediately went to the grip on my sidearm and I kept it there until he cleared them.

I was at work and the boss was up in the office, his wife was outside my bay detailing the interior of the next car. A dude came whipping in with his vehicle and parked mere feet away from her and jumped out of the car. I immediately hooked my thumb and forefinger in my front pocket where I keep my knife and made my way to the front of the bay and called for her. Don't know why he was there, but as soon as he heard me call for her, he looked at me, jumped back in his car, and left.

There were 2 shootings and a stabbing in the last couple of weeks here. I'm always watching, always scanning.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

He remains unperforated. :)

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Haha. :)

Probably.

17. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

I agree with talon.

That vest got you on edge? You gotta relax man you're gonna blow a gasket stressing over a motorcycle vest. At least you didn't shoot the guy down though.

18. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I agree with this.

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Kirk your radar went off at least you started a plan of action. Most would not. Next time have at least your P11 and a extra 5900 mag with you. So shamed of you right now. We pass judgement everyday on people you missed one but he showed all the signs. Use your Jedi mind tricks next time.

20. SWAGA

I disagree,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are all reasons for increased vigilance based on how they are dressed.
    Especially if they show up at a place where you would normally not expect it.

What's the easiest way to spot that somebody " ain't from around these here parts"?
    The way they look.
    So let's not be hypocrites, we ALL judge on how people look.