Hmm... Extra spring?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Jed, Jun 11, 2014.

1. The other day I field striped my CF380, cleaned it up, oiled it and re-assembled it. It appears to function normally, baring that I have not fired it since re-assembly.

This morning I found a spring on the ground next to the table I was cleaning the pistol at.

I once again broke down the pistol and seem to be able to account for every spring and part. The pistol will cycle a round as it did prior to the cleaning.

In short I can not find anything wrong but I have an extra spring on my hands. The spring seems to be similar to the spring found in a ball point pen but stiffer. I also have a 3 y.o. in the house and it it entirely possible that he dropped a spring from a broken ball point pen in the vicinity. I am including an image of the spring, any suggestions would be welcome.

Attached Files:

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The firing pin has 2 springs, 1 inside the other. The directions included with your gun are outdated. I found out the same way last year.

3. midias

midias Member

NY
    I don't remember for sure with the 380 but many hipoints have two springs behind the firing pin. One inside another, how many did you find when you took it apart the second time?

4. Looks like that may be it, there was only one firing pin spring. Thank you.

5. Purely from an academic point of view. What would happen if you where to fire the pistol with only one of the firing pin springs? I am guessing you would lack the power behind the pin to reliably trigger the primer on the round.

Was there an issue with the use of a single spring at one point and thus the addition of a second spring?

6. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I am wondering why two springs also on the firing pin? Both my high points have 2 springs

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I doubt if anything would happen if you fired it with one spring. I think it was just an easu update after someone had an issue. The on-line picture & the instructions that came with my gun both showed one spring. I bought my C-9 NIB in February 2013.

8. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

Good question. Does anyone have a definitive answer for this?

I bought a used CF380 (didn't need it, but it is hard to pass up a $70 handgun), and when I broke it down it had only one firing pin spring. Didn't think anything of it until I recently saw a diagram posted that shows two springs, even though the instructions depict one spring.

What's the deal?

I am also apparently missing the spring "cup" that goes on the slide retainer end of the spring. Should I call "MOM"?

I have not tried to fire it yet, so I have no report on the functionality of it in this condition.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Second spring replaces the cup.

10. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Actually, my C9 comp had the single spring setup originally. The second spring adds a good amount of resistance to the slide. With one spring, I was able to rack the slide one handed by jerking my arm up and down quickly, with two springs it barely moves. The plastic cup just served to help center the single spring.

11. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

I have neither the spring, nor the cup. After another look, I do have some kind of plastic sleeve over the spring (~1/4" long). It is free to slide along the spring. Perhaps that replaces the cup. :shrug:

Anyway... The firing pin has plenty of energy. It shoots a pencil out of the barrel, straight up about 10 feet, so I know it's striking hard. Guess I should just go out to the range and shoot it. If it functions reliably, I won't worry about it. If it doesn't I'll give MOM a shout and see if I can't get a new firing pin spring group.

12. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Plastic sleeve? I've never heard of that before, are you the first owner of the gun?

13. cicpup

Vermont
    Guess it needs to be spelled out. Sleeve replaced cup. Spring replaced sleeve. Cyclops dolls head replaced bald dolls head. New firing pin replaced old firing pin. Polymer replaced alloy. 3 hole flat trigger replaced solid trigger. 3 hole molded trigger replaced 3 hole flat trigger. Skeletal trigger replaced 3 hole molded trigger. Beemiller replaced Stallard. TS replaced monkey. And the list goes on.

14. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

If anyone would know it would be you. Good dog.

BTW. Have you used the SS screws yet?

15. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

I have a jcp 40 and it only has one spring with a cylindrical black retainer that goes over it. But still only one spring and it functions.

16. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Also I am first owner.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    Well when it finally wears out and MoM sends you a replacement for free you'll receive the 2 spring setup.

18. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

What is the difference exactly?

19. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

It's exactly 1 spring.

Do I need to show my work on this question?

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    As a math teacher, I can safely say you just earned an A on this quiz.:p