Hmmm, Good Question!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Flyboy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Would you buy a firearm that's been used in a suicide?

Saw an article related to this on Facebook, and it's a noggin scratcher.
    I'm blessed to say thus far that none of my firearms have been used to take a human life, and I hope they will never have to be used as such. So I wonder what it would be like to own a firearm that I know has been used to not only take a life, but take the previous owner's life at their own hand.
    On one hand, I recognize that the firearm is simply a tool and not at fault for what the owner did. So in terms of that, I am fine with it. But then there comes the stigma; this thing has seen pain and suffering to the point of no return. It's like if you've ever been to the USS Arizona Memorial or the 9/11 Memorial. There's a heaviness, a feeling of doom and gloom, that you never really can shake. I imagine you would also get that every time to looked at or felt this firearm.

Here's why I say it; when I was younger, my Dad got severely injured at his jobsite. His arm got snagged on a bolt while moving up the lift outside the building he was working on and it almost took his arm off. He kept the sweater he was wearing when it happened (he simply cut the arms off it), but ever since that day, I've never been able to wear it or even really handle it for very long. Yes, my Dad is fine now, but the fact that that happened while he was wearing it (and is somewhat the cause of it happening, as it was the sweater that got snagged in the first place and drug him down). Inanimate object that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but yet I still can't be around it.

I dunno, what do you think?

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'm thinking you ain't buying a surplus Mosin or Mauser then...
    Seriously though, unless I knew the person who had done it, I don't think that it would bother me to have the gun..... Like you said, it's a tool, and unless it was a reminder of a personal loss, I don't really care.

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The only problem I would have is if it was used on/by a loved one

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What Tallbump said.

5. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Plenty of veterans from WWll brought home German hand guns and rifles that possibly were used to kill people (or murder noncombatants) . Those guns are now collectables and if marked with Nazi markings, are highly desirable and bring a premium price.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I had a good buddy who committed suicide with a shotgun. I have several items that belonged to him but not the shotgun. I've thought long and hard about whether or not I would want it over the intervening years. I still don't know if I would have taken it if it had been offered. I think I probably would have but it would be a safe queen; something to remember him by, not to shoot.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    In a heartbeat and would hope I got a good deal on it too.

8. Branth

Branth Member

My grandpa once had a little Raven .25 that the previous owner had killed himself with. He was the responding officer, and the surviving family member bascally handed it to him and said "Get this thing away from me." To my knowledge, he still has it. I shot it a couple times, and it wasn't too weird - It probably helps that my grandpa only told me this after I had started shooting it... :p

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Wouldn't hesitate to own or use a firearm from a situation like this and like Rich said, I'll probably use it to my advantage to get a better deal when acquiring the firearm.

10. As I specified, suicide; I have no problems with guns used to kill another person, because either its previous owner is still alive via the act of self-defense or is in prison for his crime if it was one.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Ya? Gun didn't choose the selfish prick. It was the other way around. Don't blame the gun. Just clear the stovepipe and wipe it down. Here's $100. $50 if I gotta clean it.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Most suicides aren't performed out of selfishness.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    As long as there wasn't any blood, guts, or brains still in it, I would have no problem buying it. If someone wanted to "give it" to me, I would take it with the blood, guts or brains.

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Don't care. The collateral damage caused to family and loved ones is the most selfish act anyone can accomplish.

15. What if they committed suicide because they had no family or loved ones? :p

16. cicpup

Vermont
    Gun's probably stolen. Better deal for me.

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't want it.
    Don't want a house that somebody died in either.
    Guns are a hobby and yes they're tools and yes they're inanimate.
    But it would be a little too bizarre.
    And there is no gun that I want that badly to get over that.

18. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I'm with Swaggers on this one! :eek:

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My cousin killed himself with a rifle in front of his wife. His brother wanted it after the investigation. The wife told me to get rid of it so no one could ever use it again. So I cut it up into little pieces and went fishing. My cousin got over it after I told him that gun would haunt him if he ever had it. Weapons of war I'll take. Suicide or homicide weapons are a no go. They need to be destroyed IMO.

20. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

The way I see it, if the gun was used by someone you know/cared about it'll just be a constant reminder but if it's a stranger I doubt it'll matter.