Hollow point ammo

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sdshipoint, Aug 14, 2014.

1. sdshipoint

sdshipoint Member

Has anybody had problems using hollow point ammo in their C9s?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I've only ever used my own reloads, Hornady XTP boolits, they worked fine.

3. jim417

jim417 Member

I haven't run any through my C9, but the Hornady Critical Defense work great in my .380.

4. I've ran hollowpoints thru my wife's c9 with no problems.

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The only rounds I have ever had issues with HP'S is Blazer aluminum that never worked. everything else was golden. I reload now so they always work:D

6. No problems yet with ANY ammo I feed my C9. Its always hungry.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

That is one thing most people don't think about when they buy a firearm. Care and feeding will quickly cost more than the original purchase price if you shoot with any regularity.

8. bws

bws Member

I've tried both critical duty & critical defense and have had problems with both. I have some federal that I recently picked up and I may run 3 or 4 through, in quick succession to see if they gum up like the other two. But it's only the 9mm and not the .45

9. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

I have put about 200 rds of DRT 85 grain hollow points through my C9 with no problems

10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have heard of several complaints with hollow points & Hi Points. But since I'm a CHEAP gun buyer, I also am a CHEAP ammo buyer as well! So I have "ZERO" experience with HP's in my HP's?

11. Is the Glaser Pow'RBall polymer capped ammo a hollow point? If so, I was thinking of exchanging it at the LGS where I got it from since I don't want to take a chance of my HP .380 not liking it.

12. sdshipoint

sdshipoint Member

Not sure. I only tried hollow points once when I first got my C9 a couple years ago. Based on the comments I've seen here, you should try them and see what happens. It's always a good idea to be sure the ammo you buy works well in your gun so when you need it, the gun will work. I have some Remington hollow points I'm going to try tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

13. tomwlkr

tomwlkr Member

In my HP .45 185grn JHP worked great but Cor Bon 165gr +P would jam every round untill I polished the ramp, now it eats everything I throw at it. Cheap Russian FMJ steel case would jam but it was the edge of the case catching on the front lip of the mag, I filed a bevel on the mag lip and now even it works. Just bought a flush mount mag, it's OEM, a guy on EBAY reworks factory mags, cuts it down to 7 rounds but in over 30 yrs or mil and police firefights I've never fired more than 5 shots, will let everyone know if I have any problem with it.

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You have a link to those eBay mags?

15. thestones

thestones Member

well i can tell you that in my cf380 jhp rounds wouldnt feed good, critical defense wouldnt feed at all, powrball did ok. in my c9 how ever critical defense hornady feed awesome. my brother in law has a c9 and uses gold sabers, eats them like candy. the c9 will use hollow points but dont cheap out, those are the ones u bet your life too, try some different ones, see what your c9 likes. im in no way an expert, im new to handguns, passing along info from ones smarter then me.

16. I ran lots of ball through with no problem, but had some initial problems with hollow points because of the feed ramp's finish stopping the up-coming round from going into battery. Once you polish it down, there shouldn't be any problems. If you're worried about it, you can do what I did and buy something like Federal's EFMJ rounds.

17. Rerun

Rerun Member

Have You thoroughly 'broken in' Your firearm with a total of 250 rounds fired through it?

Many of the initial problems I experienced with ammo went away after that period.

I am approaching 5,000 rounds and the only ammo my piece refuses to function with is Winchester White Box.

It takes just about any kind of ammo now including HP ammo.

eldar

18. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Nope. Just bullet weight. Neither of my C9's like 147 grainers. My JHP runs good with HP ammo as well.

19. bws

bws Member

I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately and I honestly believe it has something to do with the shape of the hollow point projectile. All of the rounds I've had problems with have been conical and not round. So my theory is that when a shell is being transported to the chamber, it causes a ftf, because the curvature of a regular ball round helps with positioning the round, should it be slightly askew. Every ftf I've experienced I see the shell half way in the chamber.

20. Yes. It worked flawlessly with hundreds of rounds of ball. Super accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot. But when I started to test hollow points, the nose of the hollow points would scoop up the feed ramp and catch on the finish that was on there. I sent it back to Beemiller, and it came back with the feed ramp polished down, and has worked perfectly since. There was a tutorial on this site or the other about how to do this, but it's been years since I've looked.