Hollow stock

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Doc53, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Doc53

Doc53 Guest

Just dreaming about making my 995 into an inexpensive survival/bug out carbine. I do not want to get into an argument about caliber choice.

Has anyone tried to hollow out the stock for emergency supply storage? I have seen the inside of the stock and seen all the structural supports. Obviously removing them and the two center screws would weaken the stock. Any ideas on how to stregthen the stock after gutting it?

BTW I was thinking of removing the butt plate and using something like a Pachmayr slip on butt pad.

2. Ridge

Ridge Member

Perhaps using fiberglass or bondo or something around the inside of the stock to reinforce, maybe some pieces of metal to provide lateral support...

3. blender

blender Guest

You might have better luck with the ATI stock. I can't remember what mine looked like before I installed it, however I vaguely recall the buttstock has room in it without the ribs, etc the plastic original stock has.

I could be wrong, and often am.

4. stremph

stremph Guest

ATI Stock is hollow, plenty of room for a decent sized baggie w/matches, a small compass, etc.

I filled mine up with foam, so I can't use it for that anymore.

5. panoz77

panoz77 Member

There is a member who cut off the butt plate on the ATI and hinged it for use as storage, the thread may not exist anymore but you could try to do a search for it.

6. Doc53

Doc53 Guest

Panoz77

I did a search before I started this thread. All I found was someone who did some pictures with Photoshop of different stock configurations. A folding storage stock would be ideal though.

7. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

The ATI would probably be the way to go, but it does cost a little money. Bondo would probably help, but it wouldn't hold up too well if you dropped the gun. You could use JB Weld to hold it together (best substance known to man) but it takes a good while to dry and you shouldn't expect to get it apart again if you JB it right.

8. blender

blender Guest

Depending on where the ATI is purchased, it can be had had for < $60. Of course, the butt plate has to be butchered. You'd need to add a hinge and latch, and some sort of seal around the edge. It all depends on the individual's skill and could result in a somewhat expensive mistake. I know that if *I* tried it, it *would* be butchered.

Hmmm, I wonder why the ATI stock wasn't made with a storage compartment to begin with? I suppose the additional complexity (over keeping it simple) would have bumped the price up over the price point that 995 owners are willing to pay (we're such cheap SOBs.... ;)

9. Doc53

Doc53 Guest

Is the ATI stock one piece or is it split into two halves like the OEM stock? If it is one piece, how do you know if the stock is hollow?

10. stremph

stremph Guest

The buttplate unscrews, revealing the hollow area inside.

11. boyjoe

boyjoe Member

that is my ati with the hinge stock works great for cleaning kit, a couple small tools and an extra mag.

12. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    The factory stock would be tough, but the ATI makes it pretty easy and theres not too much butchering involved.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/quote]

13. boyjoe

boyjoe Member

some pics of my stock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

14. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Member

OC NC
    Huggy does that not bother you when you shoulder the rifle?.......Cheese

15. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Nope, the knob only sticks out 1.5mm from the back, and .5mm on each side. The little bit of knob isn't really enough to notice any difference even if I move it around to try to feel it. It kinda fits right in that little nook between chest and bicep.