Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Holster for .45 ACP

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  DrBill 
#1 ·
I have a HP .45 ACP as my duty weapon, and I'm looking for a retention holster for it. I contacted Safariland to find out if they had something that would fit that size, and they were no help at all. Before I continue searching has anyone else found a retention holster that fits this size gun? I welcome suggestions. Thanks!

#3 ·
That's the right idea, and it looks like most places are out of stock. This particular model has tension screws to increase draw resistance, I'm looking for more of a button-slide or thumb-break style retention. I think I might have to find a uniform shop and just bring it in and try some out. I appreciate your feedback, though, it gives me some ideas of other places to look. Thanks!

#6 ·
Well, Fobus says they do not make a thumb break or thumb lever style retention holster for a .45 JHP. So, if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I'm open. I'm also not opposed to custom-designing something, as long as it's secure enough. I really like Fobus' design and prices, and since they make a holster for this model weapon, I'm considering buying one and modifying it to add in some retention. Thoughts? Suggestions?

#7 ·
Ok, I bought a Fobus revolution holster for the .45 JHP. I think the adjustable retention should be sufficient for me. When I get it I'll give it a shot and post back here with the results. Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

#8 ·
Thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations. I got the holster in and it not only fits perfectly, the passive retention is far superior to what I envisioned. Straight out of the package I holstered the weapon and couldn't get it out without loosening the adjustment screw! For my needs, this is perfect. I'm extremely pleased, and I'm looking forward to trying this out on the range and on the job. Thanks again!

#10 ·
I'm a Fugitive Enforcement Agent. I bought the HPPBH EVOLUTION BELT HOLSTER model for my HP .45 JHP. I originally was using a Crossman $6 from WalMart. Then moved to a Nylon Ripstop large caliber holster because I wanted something for my tac light as well. When those didn't work out, I took the tac light off and went with this one. Best choice yet. They also make a breakaway holster for tac light or laser mounting, but right now I needed retention more than anything. This holster is great!

#12 ·
Pretty much, you can also call a Law Enforcement Officer a cop. The only difference is our team also works with local, state and federal judges, as well as the Mexican Federales, to get their fugitives as well, so I consider it a little more than just bounty hunting. A recent apprehension comprised a team of us, US Marshals, and State SWAT. Unfortunately I wasn't there for that one, but I watched it on the local news. They ended up getting him a few days later and a few cities away. But if you want to call me a bounty hunter I won't cry. 8)

#13 ·
Oh that is really cool I personally have been a security officer and plan on opening up my own company. So im sorry dont take offense to this but do you watch the show dog? Me personally I would think that he is a disgrace to the profession and I have heard actual bounty hunters say that.

#14 ·
Yeah, the guys in our team watch him and the "Wife, Mom, Bounty Hunter" show, since she's in AZ also, though I'll never admit I watch anything on the WE cable network. = ) To me the show is all entertainment; although he makes it difficult to keep the profession a serious law enforcement division IMHO. I don't think it's his fault, though, the media and producers make him glam it up. Personally, he leaves out all the hours, days and weeks involved in stakeouts, research and tracing, phone calls, etc., not to mention the cases they show are very easy recoveries. Many of ours include dangerous gang leaders, meth and crack addicts, transporters, people with high powered full auto weapons, and I'm sure other bounty hunters face similar threats every day. The other show includes some of the pre-work, it's a little closer to reality. I look at it as entertainment, that's all. His biggest mistake was entering MX to catch the guy a few years ago.....BIG no no! :cantlook:

Our website is http://www.nab-um.com. Best of luck with the Security Company and in your profession!

#16 ·
You guys are getting off topic with 'Dogg, the Bounty Hunter' and his wife. What I want to know is with the passive retention on Fobus revolution holster how quick is/was your draw? I was in a gun fight with some gang thugs and now I carry my Hi-Point 45 ACP around like crazy my Protech Side Size 8 Gun Holster with a thumb break is coming apart at the seams after less than two years. I would love to find a level 3 thumb lever style retention holster but I know that ain't happening! So again I ask, how quick is your draw with the passive retention on Fobus revolution holster? I work in a convenience store and I want to be able draw quickly on any would be armed robber.

#17 ·
You guys are getting off topic with 'Dogg, the Bounty Hunter' and his wife. What I want to know is with the passive retention on Fobus revolution holster how quick is/was your draw? I was in a gun fight with some gang thugs and now I carry my Hi-Point 45 ACP around like crazy my Protech Side Size 8 Gun Holster with a thumb break is coming apart at the seams after less than two years. I would love to find a level 3 thumb lever style retention holster but I know that ain't happening! So again I ask, how quick is your draw with the passive retention on Fobus revolution holster? I work in a convenience store and I want to be able draw quickly on any would be armed robber.
You may have a hard time getting an answer from a five year old thread. Welcome to the forum?

#18 ·
I have that Fobus holster, just because I like getting stuff for the collection.

It works well enough, the retention in most Fobus rigs is simply a molded bit of plastic that fits inside the trigger guard, you adjust the tension with a screw, and it's beveled so inserting the gun, it's easier, pulling it out straight up as you would when drawing the gun is easy, any forward, backward or sideways tugs won't quite hit the bevel, so it stays in the holster.

You definitely need to practice with it, or it could defeat you.;)
But it's quick, no levers or buttons to worry about, it's just muscle memory and practice.

There are better holsters out there, but most won't fit the HP large frames.

#19 ·
Bought the Fobus Roto Evolution Series RH Paddle holster for my Hi Point 45. Read some other reviews on how some folks with a Hi Point found it to be a tight fit, others reported a positive experience. I took a chance and am sorry I did. The design concept on the holster is great. But the fit is so tight, I couldn't draw the pistol out of the holster with two hands from the hip. It literally pulled the holster out of my pants. Yes, I had the belt cinched down tightly on my waist. I tried removing the tension screw - did not improve the fit. I even tried purchasing oversized bushings to open the holster and a longer screw. This helped some, but not enough to make the holster usable while drawing with one hand. I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE anyone with a Hi Point 45 from purchasing this holster. Too many people are experiencing problem fits and my experience has been it is not safe to use on the Hi Point 45. The good news... I discovered the Blackhawk Sportster holster with Mag Pouch for 3.75" - 4.5" barrel large autos works like a charm (Size 5). Ironically, I found one at my local Walmart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.