Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

n intruder breaks in and you identify them and they are not a family member or friend.....do you wai

• wait and see if they have a weapon and then shoot

Votes: 0 0.0%
61 - 80 of 85 Posts
G

·
This is such a tough thing to think about unless it actually happens. When in a panic or adrenaline situation it would be really tough to not just start putting rounds in an intruders @ss. I have a 5 month old daughter, and I feel that if someone has used force to break in my house, I would probably use force to make sure they get out of my house or are out of comission. If I could see them clearly enough ie: lights on or daytime, and they didn't have a weapon or no weapon exposed I would probably tell them face the opposite way of me, put their hands on their head and then to a knee and flat on their stomach. I would then hold them at gunpoint and call the cops. If they didn't follow my LOUD and very SINCERE demands and made a move I didn't order them to make they would give me reason to fear for my safety as well as my wife and young daughters and I would put 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. I think that by not following orders they would give me reason to think they were going to attack me or go for a weapon, and then I would be in fear of immideate and life threatening danger. I don't know a jury in their right might who would convict a homeowner of a crime for protecting his or herself and family.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The truth in those situations is what the witnesses and survivors say it is. The reality is at the end of the day, you will be hard pressed to find a group of 12 individuals who will convict you of shooting a person who broke into your house. You have to seriously say something stupid for that to happen. Don't be one of those testosterone filled Mongos who starts telling anyone who listens that "he sure picked the wrong house" or "that's what happens when someone breaks into my house". Remember, you were a victim and you reluctantly were forced by him to defend yourself, not your home, property or family but yourself (I know the family thing is counter-intuitive, but you don't have to spell everything out, everyone who hears the story will be able to make that leap themselves). And of course don't forget, "I am going to have to live with the pain of taking another person's life for the rest of mine".

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
oops... if they listen to the "Get on the ground, NOW!" no need to fire.

·
Registered
789 Posts
oops... if they listen to the "Get on the ground, NOW!" no need to fire.
I agree... but the sad thing is I don't know how many are in my home for I've just waken up due to the intrusion, per say. So a big part of me would want to simply shoot for it's dark and I don't know why this person is in my home.
I live alone so for me, I don't have to worry about hitting anyone innocent.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
In Washington State you can get in big trouble shooting an unarmed intruder. Especially if it is some 12 year old brat that broke in when thy thought the house was empty.

It is also a no no to shoot through a wall or door. You must to have a visual on your target.

At least this is what they drilled into our heads in self defense training.

You also can not use excessive force to remove someone who is trespassing on your property but not in your house. I talked to the police about this and they said it was because the Jehovah's Witness folks petitioning for access to your door.

I have a totally fenced yard with a closed gate and No Trespassing signs on the gate and house. The Mormon folks just look at the signs and walk right in and knock on the door. That just blows me away. What balls! I actually have to keep my gate locked all the time now and had to give a key to P.U.D. so they can come in and read my electric meter.

I thought trespassing was against the law when signs are posted but the cops say as long as they are not causing property damage they are allowed to come up to the door.

Please don't bother showing me any links to the law regarding this because IT DOESN'T MATTER. The police have told me several times they will not enforce it so that's that.

·
1,792 Posts
Were exactly in Washingtom Do you live????

EDIT: Never mind I just found out electric fence is a NO NO. Unless you live in a rural farm area.

Thought it was a good idea guess not.
Maybe barrow a friends mean arse Dog for a week :p:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Freeze!

Round in chamber, Hi-intensity flashlight next to it.

"FREEZE!!" while triggering the light in the weak hand. Any failures to follow directions would indicate a threat, with resulting response.

Truly hope I never have to point any weapon at a person, let alone shoot someone. However, the above is all the chance I'm willing to take.

A friend with 30 years training and service tells me action beats reaction. If I've got the drop on someone and they're quick, I could still lose the shootout, but I'm not willing to shoot without some overt threat.

just my .02

CB

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good question, tough answer.

I would say I would have to be there to tell you what I would do.

I don't want to shoot any one, so I would hope the person/persons would give me no further reason to do anything but call the police.

But having said that I will do what ever it takes to protect my self, family, home and country.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
My 72 year old cousin was killed in his own home last year. His throat was cut and he bled out on the floor of his own living room in the middle of a Monday afternoon. He was a sweet, quiet man who, as far as I know, never owned or fired a gun. His kids tell me he never raised his voice even to them.

I was part of the small "family work detail" that pulled up the carpet and then cleaned his blood off of the concrete floor below; so his widow would never have to see it again.

To this day, no arrest has been made and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation has no suspects and virtually no leads.

Trust me, I'll take cleaning up an intruder's blood over cleaning up my family's blood any time.

G

·
Here in Montana is what the law reads:

. 45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure. However, he is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:
(1) the entry is made or attempted in violent, riotous, or tumultuous manner and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon or offer of personal violence to him or another then in the occupied structure; or
(2) he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.
History: En. by Sec. 1, Ch. 513, L. 1973; R.C.M. 1947, .
I don't have to wait to see if the violator male/female has a weapon, I only have to believe they are there to do harm to myself or others that I love. My doors are posted with signage that reflects that I will use deadly force if need be.

"There is nothing in this house worth risking your life over"
with a picture of a gun pointed at them"

In the 18 yrs that we have lived in this house, not once have I been broken into or violated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had a problem a few weeks ago where two repo men broke into my garage. My alarm system went off and woke me up at 5:20 in the morning. It's still dark out as i walk outside my back door towards my garage. I see flashlights coming out my side door to the garage. With pistol raised i call out come out with your hands up. First guy comes out all scared with a flash light in hand saying put the gun down trying to identify himself. I tell him shut up and put the light down. It was so dark i couldn't see what was behind the light. Next a even bigger guy comes out by this point my wife is right behind me with the 12 ga. Thankfully niether one of them were armed, but they kept insisting on check the vin on on of my vehicles in the garage. At that point i tell them to get lost or i would call the police. Long story short the dumb guy wouldn't leave the police were called and they were arrested for B&E without owners consent and distruction of property less than $200. My question to you guys was the flashlight obstructing my view enough means to double tap.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That is ridicules. I used to do repos when I worked for a dealership and we always went out with a police officer and a tow truck and we sure didn't do it during the night :!: We collected cars from places or employment churches homes wherever we thought they would be! I did work the occasional after hours repo but they were always during daylight hours and with a police presence.

G

·
What do you do if an intruder breaks in and you identify them and they are not a family member or friend.....do you wait to see if they have a weapon or do you shoot?
I live in the great state of Texas where we have the Castle Doctrine I don't even have to wait for him to get inside if it is DARK.
SHOOT Away!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What if's are hard to respond to. We sleep upstairs and have two dogs that sleep at top of steps. I have teenage sons who are up and about at all hours. When the dogs bark I alert and go from there. I've practiced arming up, moving to defense position, yelling down - STOP, have a gun, will use it if need be, and I'm calling the cops. Someone tries to come up...... well I'll stop them. I also keep the house relatively lit with those goofy window candles and some of the wife's stuff on the first floor. The upstairs is pitch black. This way I can see down, they can't see up.

Also - we need to be clear. My opinion, as I was taught - we are shooting to stop the threat. Period. No more, no less. We don't shoot to kill, etc - we shoot to stop the threat. Some law friends can comment here - but I've been told and do believe, our words WILL be used against us.

I shot till I was sure the threat was gone and my family was safe. This is MUCH better than, I emptied a mag into the bas***d and capped his arse, he ain't walkin' outta here I'll tell ya!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Be guided by your local and state laws, Contact your state's Attorney Generals office and ask for a printed copy of Local and State laws which govern the use of deadly force. Read the information 1000 times until its committed to memory and act within its bounds.

Edited for spelling, I need to get more sleep

·
Registered
171 Posts
Be guided by your local and state laws, Contact your state's Attorney Generals office and ask for a printed copy of Local and State laws with govern the use of dead force. Read the information 1000 times until its committed to memory and act within its bounds.
roger that, glockman my state has castle doctrine but no test cases on unarmed intruders so they get one chance to flee or surrender with me .

·
Registered
467 Posts
None of the above. Assuming I didn't have the two extremely large dogs I do have, I would bark at the intruder, "I am armed. Get out of my house now or I WILL shoot". If there next move was anything other than heading out of the house I would shoot them.

Now, since I *do* have two very large dogs (Great Dane and a St. Bernard mix) more likely than not they would either be chew-toys before that or being chased by a couple of very pissed off dogs down the street. :D

G

·
If your dogs harm any person, regardless of situation, they would likely be put to sleep. That's what happened to my uncle's dog who attacked someone on his property at night.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If your dogs harm any person, regardless of situation, they would likely be put to sleep. That's what happened to my uncle's dog who attacked someone on his property at night.
They are kept indoors most of the time...yep, even though they are giants. They are always properly introduced to friends, and even then we take care until they really know someone and even still we put them upstairs most of the time with company. They are gentle with those they know, but they are still very large animals and proper care needs to be taken.

So, any such situation would be from an intruder and in Colorado I do not foresee any issue with them attacking anyone who enters illegally. That said, they go absolytely berserk if *anyone* comes up to the house and someone would have to be on drugs to attempt a break in with both of them. We have the glass "windows" on either side of the front door, and people *always* take several steps back as soon as the dogs show up and start jumping at the glass. But if I were to let the person in, the dogs would just sniff them a bit and then want a treat. Pretty funny from my standpoint.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts