Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

n intruder breaks in and you identify them and they are not a family member or friend.....do you wai

• wait and see if they have a weapon and then shoot

Votes: 0 0.0%
81 - 85 of 85 Posts
G

·
In 1973 when i still lived in Boise Idaho . A family friend shot a Peeping Tom in the back pockets with a 20 gauge as he tried to climb a board fence and get away . The Peeping Tom situation was well documented for the area with the police . He was never charged with a crime for the shooting . The guy lived . My neighbor was a sargent on the police force and said that he was within his rights to shoot . I don't think you could do that now . Times have changed . Brett.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I said wait to see if he has a weapon.... Now I do happen to live in a state that has a "make my day" or "iminate domaine law"

So bacially if a bad guy broke in I could shoot and be justified. However if he stops in his tracks when he hears and see the shotgun pointed center mass and he does as he is told. He should live to see the inside of a jail cell. That however would be a very bad time for him to make any sudden movements lol....

G

·
I do not care what the law is you should still make sure who or what you are targeting. As it might just be one of your own kids sleep walking.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I keep my doors locked like roblamont80 said so if anyone mad it into my house then i would consider my self to be in resonable danger. I would try to determine as much as i could befor shooting but only so much can be thought about in a life/death situation. If my wife is in the house then the intruder has no chance. I will do ANYTING to protect her!

Oh yeah....Deep in the heart of Texas!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
OK I have seen some interesting takes on this question...

Glockman has a very good point to know your local laws.

Ari says know your target because it could be your child sleep walking A+ :!:

Here is how I came to my decision or plan on what I would do if this happened.

1. I have no children and I am single so it is just me in the house...well me and my cat and he doesn't like anyone he doesn't know so he would be yowling his head off.

2. We have a fairly good stand your ground law that has been interpreted to mean you should feel safe in you home place of work Etc. As such if you use deadly force in your home you are ok as long as you can articulate that you ordered the guy down and he or she failed to comply.

3. If the perp has any type of deadly weapon even not out or in use the local prosecutor in my county said they have hung themselves out to dry and deserve whatever the homeowner dishes out. Also the above ability to articulate fear for life will in almost all cases cover your butt...

4. If you have a problem with the local police called to the scene. Request that the state police be involved as they are the most knowledgeable on the CCW bit and they will end up handling the investigation anyway as they are in charge of the CPL database. Sheriffs investigators in most countys in MI are just as good as state police on the laws as they handle the CPL background checks and paperwork so they know the law front and back.

Note number 4 applies if you are stopped while open carrying as some local police don't know the law and will hassle you but if you request the state police they have to comply or they will be in trouble when and if it goes to court... and they know this! The state police will most likely run your handgun serial number and ensure that you have a holster with at least one type of retention and send you on your way :D Now some people say they don't have the right to do that but I say if you have nothing to hide then just let them it only takes a few seconds and they will give you gun back and shake your hand and send you on your way and then they will give the local yokel a butt chewing for not reading the memos they send out regarding firearms laws :roll:

Ok this has gotten long .. the long and short is if you carry concealed know the laws in the places you will be carrying. To find out see the provided link and be ware of your surroundings :!:

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

81 - 85 of 85 Posts