Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a condo and Iam picking up a Hi Point 40 cal next week. I perfer not to kill my neighbor while protecting myself. So whats a good round to use? JHP or a FMJ?

Tom

·
Registered
799 Posts
i got the 40 as well not long ago and with the good advice i get on here from my buddys
is go with a hollowpoint,so it doe's more damage and stops inside.i got 180 gr winchester white box.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Theres several choices. You will just have to try em out and see what works best with your gun.
You can get WWB 180 gr JHP from Walmart all day.
I like Speer Gold Dots and Hornady Critical Defense.
Just see what your LGS has and buy what you can and try em out.
:welcome:

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
If you can get them get the Winchester Rangers [Mine are for law enforcement]. Some will be marked law enforcement only those are the good ones to get same as the old Black Talon but copper colored now

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
I have mine loaded with Hornady XTP's, their expansion is not as good as some brands but they are accurate.

a .40 180gr FMJ will take out most people with one shot but a JHP will do better and is safer.

I had an accidental discharge once and my JHP only penetrated one wall before stopping between two walls.

Fortunatly no one was seriously hurt, my ears rang and my wife's ear rang but neither of us got hurt thank goodness.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have mine loaded with Hornady XTP's, their expansion is not as good as some brands but they are accurate.

a .40 180gr FMJ will take out most people with one shot but a JHP will do better and is safer.

I had an accidental discharge once and my JHP only penetrated one wall before stopping between two walls.

Fortunatly no one was seriously hurt, my ears rang and my wife's ear rang but neither of us got hurt thank goodness.
iI was tempted to get that brand as well but i didn't want to dish out
that much.well for now anyway but im glad your ok.i heard on here of guns going
off just by cocking the gun so i havent even cicked mine since i got it about a week
ago lol.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
A Stoeger 12 ga Coach with # 6 or 8 birdshot is best for hall or room sweeping. Close it kills, miss won't go through the wall, farther away it hurts like hell and is discouraging.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A Stoeger 12 ga Coach with # 6 or 8 birdshot is best for hall or room sweeping. Close it kills, miss won't go through the wall, farther away it hurts like hell and is discouraging.
That is the first shot coming out of my 12 ga, but the next one is #4 buck and the next three are 00 buck. If they are high on drugs, the birdshot will just make them mad. The #4 will knock them down and the 00 will cut them in half. Let's hope that none of us ever have to use our home defense weapon.

If you use a pistol for home defense and you miss, that bullet is going through more than one wall before it stops unless it hits a wood stud by luck.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
JHP rounds do dissipate their energy quicker than FMJ rounds due to the rapid expansion, but you may actually want to consider taking a look at some of the frangible rounds available. They're expensive as all get-out, but are well worth the investment if you live with only 1 wall separating you from your neighbors.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
IF you want it for home OR personal defense birdshot won't cut it. Use 0 or 00 buckshot. If you're gonna shoot someone, KILL EM!! Don't screw around with wounding or scaring. KILL!!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
For the home defense Always use a good JHP. Winchester rangers, or speer gold dots. You want that round to expand and slow. The 40 is a quick round, and you do not want a through and through. Minimize your chances of collateral damage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For the home defense Always use a good JHP. Winchester rangers, or speer gold dots. You want that round to expand and slow. The 40 is a quick round, and you do not want a through and through. Minimize your chances of collateral damage.
exactly. Neither the .40 or 9mm transfer energy very well making the JHP the better round for self defense. Not only does the JHP produce stopping power, but it is the safe choice also because, as Super Virgil stated, you want to minimize collateral damage.
We hope to never be in this situation, but if so, please, only damage your target. Jacketed Hollow Point-Let the intruder no they've been hit, and not go right through them...or anything else you might hit if you miss the target.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts