Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's house was broken into this morning.. She's looking into getting a pistol to defend herself. I suggested she get a hp c-9 like I did.. But I got second thoughts as to the caliber because she's a smaller woman.. she's 5-2. Anny suggestions?

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
My sister's house was broken into this morning.. She's looking into getting a pistol to defend herself. I suggested she get a hp c-9 like I did.. But I got second thoughts as to the caliber because she's a smaller woman.. she's 5-2. Anny suggestions?
I have heard that revolvers are good for people who are not familiar with guns. they are easy to operate and understand. maybe a .38?

·
Banned
401 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think it'll be a good idea? She's not too much of a gun person... At least as far as I know.. and after I show her how to fire it... chances will be that it'll collect dust in a closet.. talk about a waste of a gun.. I'll probally be the only one shooting it after a while. On the other hand, I'm looking for something that can handle being stored in a closet.. after being properly maintained of course. The only good thing is that she knows who did it... Turned them into the police... so could be worse.

·
Banned
401 Posts
As far as a good idea? That is between you and her, she will be the one that has to learn to use and feel comfortable with it, I would make sure to take her to a couple of gun shops and let her handle the guns and find the right one that she is comfortable with, then it is going to take range time and I would suggest a course on home/self defence that is for women, I know my wife is a firearms instructor and her classes are only for women...in fact I have never attended one of my wife's courses!

The key to women being comfortable and shooting is to make sure they are working with those they feel comfortable with, and 99 out of a 100 times that is with another women.

As far as course, look up the NSSF and a program called "Women in the outdoors" both organizations have classes and weekend get a ways specifically designed for women and teaching them about shooting and shooting sports...which have sections on home/self defence..

Dp

·
Registered
974 Posts
9mm is a fine caliber for a small woman, but the C9 is probably not the best choice. Its too big for small hands (so says my wife)

Take her to the store, have her try a few things out. Have her take a firearms class. There's nothing worse you could do for her than to give her a gun she wont know how to use. Make sure she practices regularly, at least once a month. An unpracticed shooter is an underconfident shooter.

edit: While I was posting MtMountains posted exaclty what I wanted to say, but much better

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
actually, I think taking her to a range first might be the best idea, let her shot several different kinds of guns. what feels good in the good shop may not feel great on the range.

·
Registered
476 Posts
sccy 9mm is a good little gun for home defence for anyone. Its a simple little DAO semi-auto pistol that is inexpensive but reliable .. They are the size of a kel-tec so it should fit her fine .Can get one around here new in box for $220 .

·
Registered
974 Posts
actually, I think taking her to a range first might be the best idea, let her shot several different kinds of guns. what feels good in the good shop may not feel great on the range.
Yes, this. My shop has a range in it, I forget not everyone is so lucky.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Is she just wanting a firearm for home protection or for carry as well? if only for home protection I would recommend a 20ga whit 18.5 inch barrel, and some #4 buckshot,

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
First off: Gender does not denote caliber. Women often times fare better with BIGGER calibers than men. My little sister's first gun was a .40S&W, and she hit bullseyes every time. She's since moved up out of preference. The biggest key is to get her to a range, rent a few pistols and see what she is comfortable with. Be careful to pigeon hole her with stereotypes (such as "Don't go into battle with a number smaller than .4" and other b.s.) and not to scare her. Have fun with it like any sport and she could surprise you with her natural capability.

Second: Getting a pistol (or even a firearm) isn't always the best HD situation depending on the person's attitude towards it or the environment. I've had a few female friends who wanted personal defence, but who were either not ready for or were NOT comfortable with the idea of owning a firearm. This is perfectly fine. Not everyone NEEDS to have one, especially if they do not want one. If that is the case, I ALWAYS steer them towards Taser International's line of defence stun weapons. They're not like the crappy Chinese knock offs: They WILL put someone down! I know, because they've put me down :'( and it HURTS! They have various "Heavy" grade weapons like the X-22, and a more palatable civilian compact model like the C3 (they even come in different colours and even lepoard print!). Each can be used as a ranged weapon with a cartridge (with a range of 15 to 20 feet) and can also be used as a close range weapon with or without the cartridge, giving flexibility. They have a proven effectiveness rating, and TONS of safety features. One I really like is from the company itself: If you lose or leave the weapon after an attack, just provide a police report and the company will replace your Taser and tag the other as stolen at NO COST! Granted the cartridges are a bit expensive (around $20 to $25 each round), but that includes the propellant.

For someone who is NOT comfortable with a firearm, I think this is an EXCELLENT alternative, just as long as it's the real deal and not some flea-market Chinese clone. They have excellent power, a proven track record of stopping most people and you cannot deny physics: Electrocution SUCKS and will stop someone. Anyone who says different hasn't been hit by one of these suckers. And, what's worse: She can zap them MULTIPLE times when the probes make contact with the target :wideeyed2: :yes: I didn't like ONE shot from them.... I don't want to think what multiple rounds would feel like

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
......I ALWAYS steer them towards Taser International's line of defence stun weapons..... (they even come in different colours and even lepoard print!).....And, what's worse: She can zap them MULTIPLE times when the probes make contact with the target :wideeyed2: :yes: I didn't like ONE shot from them.... I don't want to think what multiple rounds would feel like
just make sure she keeps the leopard print taser away from other bedroom....ahem...."tools" so as to avoid any.....confusion..... :embarrassed2:

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
just make sure she keeps the leopard print taser away from other bedroom....ahem...."tools" so as to avoid any.....confusion..... :embarrassed2:
LOL, classic!

But how about an S&W Airlight?

edited cause I suck at spelling.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shotguns sound good.. but not around little kids who likes to mess with anything bigger than a cellphone.. those included!I'll probaly take her to the range and let her mess with a few relovers they have for rent.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
AK-47 loaded with 30 Hydro-Shock rounds, laser, and tac-light. At least that's my favorite. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Get her a Rottweiler. User friendly, smaller learning curve for beginner, with ammo prices and availability it would be cheaper to feed than a .357, no child safety lock required...

Or maybe a pack of Miniature Pinschers... like about thirty of them. A BG breaks in and gets engulfed by a swarm of little yapping, biting land piranha.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL! I like german shepards tho.. There's a reason cops use them as attack dogs.. lmao

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
I'm with Neo in that the best solution in finding a handgun (or long gun) is by trying prior to buying! While most people always tend to think that smaller women will fare best with a S&W J-frame (i.e. 642, etc.) no-one thinks about the recoil of that 15 ounce pistol when you pull the trigger on a +P round! My wife (5' 3") decided the top heavy CF-380 was the best fit for her since recoil was light enough and she was able to get back on target faster then with the Smith.

Another good idea is an intrusion detection system with an audible alarm and cellular dialer. We have one installed in our home several years ago and, though it has thwarted only one potential break in, IMHO, that was enough to warrant the costs!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.