Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have read all the posts on the home made primers but i still have a few questions. first, all you are using in is strike any were matchs right?? second after the home made primer is in a "live" casing, how longs is it good for?? and last the anvil, can someone please post a pic of if facing "upward". thanks

dale

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
ok, i have read all the posts on the home made primers but i still have a few questions. first, all you are using in is strike any were matchs right?? second after the home made primer is in a "live" casing, how longs is it good for?? and last the anvil, can someone please post a pic of if facing "upward". thanks

dale
I made a few in the beginning with strike on the box matches and cap gun roll caps, but have mostly used strike anywhere matches. perotter has been working on making his primer compound from scratch. You can read about what he is doing in the following thread. http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,19922.0.html. I have loaded the same primer cup as many as 10 times with no problem. I find that the pure brass primer cups work better than the nickle plated brass.
As far as the anvil, I couldn't find a photo on the web, and I don't have a nice close up setting on my camera, but I'll see what I can get you, when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Delmar,

Have you annealed the cups that you have reloaded 10 times?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Delmar,

Have you annealed the cups that you have reloaded 10 times?
No, I just kept reloading and firing the same primer cup. I have only loaded one primer cup , that many times, just to see how many times it would work. I should have kept going to see how many times I could do it before I got a FTF.

This was #7

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts

dale
After they are loaded they should be good for months/years. Kind of figure as long as a match is good for, when stored in a perfectly dry condition.

Using the tips of matches what would limit the life is, if any of the phosphorus reacts with the copper or nickel. That causes the primer to go weak and then 'dead'. This is the main reason,shelve life, that phosphorus primers lost out in becoming the non-corrosive of choice for modern primers. FWIW, there are work arounds for this & the the Prussian needle rifles used it in it's formulas.

IMO, if a person wants ensured long term(decades) storage use something different than match tip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the great info guys!!!! at the moment i have 800 primers and after they are used i will try this out. now i just have to find some strike anywere matchs.... lol

dale

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
thanks for the great info guys!!!! at the moment i have 800 primers and after they are used i will try this out. now i just have to find some strike anywere matchs.... lol

dale
Ace Hardware, but don't wait until they are all gone. Load a few when you know you are going to the range. Make those 800 last a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts