Home on the Range or Range at home?

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by Hdonly, May 15, 2015.

1. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I have recently started building a 100 yard shooting range at the house. Me and my 1953 Ford Jubilee tractor have been busy bush hogging, pushing debris, and moving dirt. Things are coming along!

Attached Files:

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Cool!.... Always nice to shoot on your own property.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I hope to have the kind of land where I can do that, too.

4. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

Been meaning to do this for a while now. I used to work in public works for a small city and had unlimited use of their police pistol range. Have since retired and lost that perk, so it was time to make use of the property I own. Since I don't have a post hole digger for the tractor I guess I will have to get out the manual diggers. That's ok though. A man needs to keep working to stay in shape. Takes a big hole to get those old telephone poles upright though! Thank goodness I have a lift arm for the tractor. Those jokers are HEAVY!

5. Awesome, I can shoot on my property, but can only get about 25yds. IF i built some sort of bench to sit on, i could shoot up hill 50. But mostly i just do 25 for pistol and the carbine. The 30-30 and .243 i drive to my dads which will do 100.

6. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

Where I am at, the land is pretty flat. A backstop is the only way to go. There are 400 acres of woods behind me, but I want to know exactly where my rounds stop. You never know who might be back there in the woods. My property is 700 feet deep, so a 100 yards is no problem when I finish the backstop.

7. Back stop is the only way to go for target and plinking. To many stories about people finding bullets in there houses, and yards.

8. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I hear that. We gun owners get enough flack from the other side of the fence. We don't need to create more problems by ignoring safety when shooting. Lots of people around me shoot and most observe good judgement, but there are a couple that make me a little nervous. They don't shoot my way, but they do shoot without a proper backstop. I just don't understand why it is so hard for some folks to "get it"!

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for sharing that.
    Couple of months ago we had a mega thread derail over exactly that.
    Some knucklehead in Sarasota FL shooting on his backyard 'range' without a back stop.

10. Well he had a "backstop" but there sure wasn't much room for error.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    OK Youse Two, this is your final warning! :mad:
    [​IMG]
    :rofl:

12. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I started to dig some holes for the backstop posts. One of the handles in my digger was rotten. Can't understand that. My Dad just bought them about 30 years ago. Anyway, I went to Lowes-no handles. I went to Ace Hardware-no handles. I went to Tractor Supply-no handles. What is this world coming to!!! I came back home and found a piece of 2x6 long enough and cut two out. Spent the rest of the afternoon at the picnic table sanding them into shape. I hated to use pine, but you do what you gots to do.