Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By request, at least one person asked ^-^ Here's a recipe I found that person said was from a 1957 NRA article. He said it works good for black powder also in the post I found so someone may want to try it for that.

**WARNING** If you don't like the smell of vinegar, this is NOT for you. ^-^

1 Pint water
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon dish detergent

Also find a med size platic tub with a lid, at least thats what I use I'm sure there are many ways to do this, this is just what I do. My tub is 48 0z/3 lb tub that held cookie dough. Hey we had to make the cookies and eat em first for me to get the tub, who says dyi doesn't have benefits? Here are the things needed.

Here's the brass before washing.

Pour all ingredients in tub and give it a quick stir to mix, I just put the dish soap in last and stir with that spoon.

Then dump that dirty stuff in...

And seal it up..

Now the recipe said to wash for 10 mins, I just set kitchen timer and go. The reason I use a tub with lid is I just swish it in my hands tumble it end over end etc for the 10 mins. Here's the cleaner in full soapy mode, I take the lid off occasionally and stir with my hands too. Also lets you see how the cleaning is coming along.

When the timer goes off, its time to rinse for 10 mins also. Just set timer again and start rinsing. I use warmish water in all steps cause my hands are in there.

While rinsing I dump water and refill several times. I do the rinse like the wash agitate by hand tumble end over end etc.

When the rinse timer is up I dump as much water out as I can then dump brass onto waiting paper towel. I then gather towel around brass and give a little squeeze to get excess water off.

Then I transfer brass to the lid on a towel to air dry. One could also dry in sun,or a low 150 degree oven. I'm not in a time rush because I clean batches well before I'm going to load, usually when I collect 50. I clean 50 at a time just because thats what fits in the empty ammo trays I use for reloading and also that amount seems to fit and clean well in the tub I use.

Then as the final step which I do while checking case length I lock each case in the cutter stud with shell holder and give it a final buff with fine steel wool

Well thats all there is to it, wash and rinse process takes 20 mins. Dry time depends on method you decide to use. Try it especially if you don't have a tumbler which is why I hunted for something I could make instead of buying chemical liquid case cleaner.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Thanks for the report & pics. I'm going to try this on some very dirty brass.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
BOOKMARKED!! :yay!:

fantastic photography btw.

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
I think I'll start a batch of .45s!

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only step I change, is tumble (in my sons old rock tumbler)for 2 hours with corn cob media, after it sun dries.  I just like the finish polish.  It also gives me piece of mind, that everything is off the brass.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good how to but keep in mind that chemical polishers can etch and/or weaken the brass. if you have a minor existing defect the chemical bath will exacerbate it. IIRC thats the recipie my dad used way back when as well.

SW
Thanks for the tip SW I'll keep it in mind. I'll pay close attention to the brass.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
clean? why?

jk, actually i really like this concept, and still hope to use it for some of my rifle loads. But for the sooty old chamber of my JHP, i just load 'em, shoot 'em, & repeat the same. ;)

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clean? why?

jk, actually i really like this concept, and still hope to use it for some of my rifle loads. But for the sooty old chamber of my JHP, i just load 'em, shoot 'em, & repeat the same. ;)
lol i guess i have to clean the brass cuz i can't leave the sooty old chamber in my JHP..sooty..I HAVE to clean it too..omg I'm compulsive! maybe even obsessive...but man clean brass looks so good when I reload my rounds I can't help myself, and I get to make cheap cleaner so it feels like I'm getting one over on someone.

In the words of the great Red Green "Remember if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy"

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
HAHA, very well-said!! :D

And a Red Green quote to boot! woo hoo!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excellent post! I was looking for a cheaper way to clean brass. I wasn't looking forward to buying a tumbler or media. I like this idea. Looks like it shines them up pretty good. Thanks. 8)

·
Banned
19,436 Posts
clean? why?

lol i guess i have to clean the brass cuz i can't leave the sooty old chamber in my JHP..sooty..I HAVE to clean it too..omg I'm compulsive! maybe even obsessive...but man clean brass looks so good when I reload my rounds I can't help myself, and I get to make cheap cleaner so it feels like I'm getting one over on someone.

In the words of the great Red Green "Remember if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy"
i think thats the first time ive seena red green reference on the HPFF. another milestone is passed.

SW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.