homemade skillet Biscuit/pancake mix long term storage

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by willieh, Jan 6, 2012.

1. No refrigeration needed
    -5 lb bag of enriched flour (17 cups)
    -5 teaspoons salt
    -3/4 cup baking powder
    -2 1/2 cup powdered milk
    -2 tablespoons dry citric acid( optional, helps preserve for longer storage, and makes fluffier biscuits)
    -10 tablespoons sugar

Mix all dry ingredients and store in ziplock bags, remove as much air from the bag as possible, store in a dark dry place. you can place a saltine cracker in the bag after it is filled to absorb any possible moisture/

when ready to make:
    -combine 1 cup prepared mix with 1-2 tbsp butter, shortening or vegetable oil if possible
    -add 1/4 to 3/8 cup water (adjust till dough is not too dry, but isnt sticky when you handle it)
    -the easiest way to roll the dough is to roll it into balls and then flatten between your hands

-you can either cook on a hot skillet about 5 minutes on each side, or bake at 450 for about 8 minutes

-you can also substitute about 4-5 cups of the flour with (prefer unflavored) whey protein, wally world whey protein theres usually about 5-6 servings per cup, for energy bars on the go lol. i am not sure how this may effect storage life

Gravy
    -you can also make a quick gravy with dehydrated meat or jerky. bring about a cup of water to a boil in a frying pan, shred a piece of meat into small strips place in water and let most of it boil off (you wont loose anything the nutrients stay in the pan) this will pull the flavor out of the jerky into the pan. add a tablespoon of flour or the mix above to the pan while still a little water in it, scrape it around with a spatula and let it brown and pick up all the juices, maybe a minute. add about 2/3 cup water back to the pan stirring, once it starts to boil add 1-2 tbsp more flour or the mix above. should thicken in about 5 minutes, adjust to taste and thickness desired, a dash of salt can go a long way. this also works with fresh meat especially pork, cook and brown first.

Pancakes
    for pancakes take 1 1/2 cup dry mix, add 1 egg and mix in water until it forms a thick pancake batter, pour onto a hot skillet, 3-5 minutes on each side.

also add to scrambled eggs before you cook them to make them more fluffy

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. A fella could vacuum seal individual servings and throw some in a camp mess kit.. I'm gonna have to try this. Thanks

3. Yea i split it up about 1 lb per bag and throw a couple in my bag whenever i go packing in somewhere for a couple of weeks, makes great rabbit and squirrel breakfast sandwiches lmao
    This mix, a couple packs of instant oatmeal, some coffee and the rest you can just hunt and fish for here in the rockies

4. showpare

showpare Expert in Superfluities Member

Great recipes! Thanks. Cutting and pasting to file.

5. Grew up on homemade biscuits and gravy!!! Putting this together when I get home. It'll be great for when family visits. And thanks, WillieH, for the dry citric acid tip.