Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This relates to the tiopic of lack of ammo. Pulled this off the Taurus gun chat site. Dont know if its wild speculation or not.

"Friday, February 13, 2009
State Department Floating Ammo Import Ban
It looks like those who said the Obama Administration would strike while the iron is hot may have been correct, and the Administration may be doing it in a way that does not require them to even get a vote in Congress. In this morning's edition of the Shooting Wire, Jim Shepherd writes that Canadian officials have it on "good authority" our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.

Ammos listed for this rumored ban include the .50BMG, 7.62x39mm Soviet, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester, 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. Additionally, we're hearing that an expansion of this proposed ban might be broadened to include the 6.8mm SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP- among others.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance. Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.

Shepherd continues that there may also be a plan to ban exports on certain firearms to Canada from the US, resulting in the State Department hammering gun manufacturers, distributors and exporters in the United States while simultaneously making firearms -and ammunition - ownership and acquisition more difficult for Canadians.

Many in the pro-rights community have said since the election that Obama could circumvent Congress by using regulations in his various cabinet departments to attack gun owners. It appears that it may have already begun.
Posted by VSSA President at 8:01 AM
Labels: Barrack Obama and guns, regulating guns and ammo"

soooooo......what time does WM close?........

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't buy it. :) but sounds like a great story to spread around to help boost ammo and gun sales....

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah, I really don't buy it either.
sounds like more "OMG BLACKY IN THE WHITE HOUSE IS GUNNA TAKE OUR GUNS!!" panic with no evidence behind it.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Did you notice who signed that post? President of VSSA (Virginia Shooting Sports Association)

http://www.myvssa.org/index.html

Now does it mean any more to you?

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Can't say if its true or not, but with the uncertainty of this administration in regards to the 2nd amendment I think I will continue to stock up.
Don't get me wrong I'm not out there panic buying but if I have some extra bucks I stock up! be it Wal-Mart or on line.

Jet

G

·
I have heard several things and at the moment I think they are just hear say. But like some of the others I am stocking up when I have the chance. I would rather be prepared then stuck w/out if it does come to be true. There are to many in office that want to take guns away and I could easily see them try to make it harder for us to purchase firearms or even ammo. I wouldn't put it past them :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have trouble taking any rumors about the obama administration and their intentions seriously. I'm not saying I think Obama's great, he definitely has his issues, but it's hard to figure out what's true and what's not when so much garbage is being flung around about him. You have to sift through 50 rumors to find one true fact. It's been this way since he first started campaigning. Everyone was claiming they had it on "good authority" that he was muslim, that he was sworn in on the quran, that he wasn't born in america, isn't an american citizen, refuses to put his hand on his heart for the pledge...
I don't know why people make crap like that up, but it makes it a lot harder for people who want to know the truth.

·
Registered
586 Posts
"I will not take your guns away" -Barack Obama

Yes Obama did support some anti-gun legislation (which failed) at the STATE level, but he has repeated stated that it is not the federal governments job to dictate gun policy. Perhaps most of all: There is no way that this administration in this economy is going to ban anything (especially things that are such a big part of the American economy), period, thirdly, there would be absolutely no feasible way to systematically take the American people's guns away...do you have any idea how much that would cost? Just because there is a black democrat in office does not mean he is a boogeyman.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Agreed. Need far more evidence than this to start being concerned. I'm not saying to let your guard down and stop letting your elected officals know where you stand. But, sounds like more panic without cited sources that can be documented or trusted.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Do you guys pay attention to anything at all? Of those calibers, ALL of them are currently used by the United States Military, even the 7.62x39 Russian. How you ask? The Army uses it to train their soldiers On Site Procurement in case they run out of ammo for their primary weapon, *M-16 or M4* and therefore those soldiers have to qualify with the AK-47. The rest is self explanitory, as you all know about the .50 BMG, 7.62x51 NATO and .308 Winchester are the same round, as is the 5.56NATO and .223 Winchester are the same round. The only caliber that I don't know about is the 6.8 SPC, but I am sure it's used in some form by Military or Police. Then you have the 9mm Para *same thing as 9mm Luger* the .40S&W and .45ACP.

BULLSHAT!

Those 3 calibers are the primary 3 used by ALL Military and Police in the USA!!!!!

There is no way in hell that they are ever going to be able to ban those calibers unless they disband the US Military and get rid of all police departments..... Come on people, a little common sense would be appreciated.

·
Registered
974 Posts
As if 8 years of war, fluctuating raw material prices and an election weren't enough to drive up ammo prices.

I'm really just about sick of this panic buying and the resulting prices. 13 dollars for a box of crappy 9mm because people can't see through the propaganda on this. 15 for a brick of .22.

I'm glad I never bought that shiny 45. The way the pro-gun lobby is running their mouths, I'd never be able to feed it.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, unless I am completely mistaken, the article in question does not say that these ammunitions will be banned, but imports of these calibers will be banned... two entirely different things. Even if this proposed legislation were authentic, and if it were to pass, it would not take your gun away from you. It would just make it potentially cost-prohibitive to use. Relying solely on domestically produced ammunition in these calibers would certainly drive prices through the roof (although it could be a boon to our USA ammo companies), but for those willing to pay for it, you would eventually be able to get your hands on some rounds. As for myself, currently the only imported ammo I am using is Wolf 7.62x39, with the occasional box of 9mm or 40S&W. For those out there who buy an @$$-load of S&B, Wolf, Privi, French or South African .50 BMG, etc., though, I guess it will be learn to reload or "Buy American!"

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
more democratic *****footing.

SW
?
think, kitty cat
If i read correctly, they would stop IMPORTING those calibers from other countries, not get ban the ammo entirely. Still it would likely make ammo cost more esp if they're able to increase the taxes

·
Registered
586 Posts
more democratic *****footing.

SW
?
think, kitty cat
If i read correctly, they would stop IMPORTING those calibers from other countries, not get ban the ammo entirely. Still it would likely make ammo cost more esp if they're able to increase the taxes
I knew what the stars were representing, I was asking why he was saying it.

And yes, I realize that the original post was about banning imports but we got off track and talked more generally, but most of my points still apply. Imports are sold by domestic companies, the government isnt going to ban anything that would hurt the economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, BS or possible truth, don't take anything for granted. Always be prepared.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, BS or possible truth, don't take anything for granted. Always be prepared.
I agree 100% Ban imports just one step closer to banning domestics. Someone said if they can't ban or get rid of all guns they would just get rid of all the ammo.
I've got lots to say but will not here in public.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts