Hopkins & Allen double barrel 12ga.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by Hdonly, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

My grandmother gave me this shotgun about 30 years ago. She said that it has been in the family as long as she could remember. She did say that she didn't pay that much attention to such things when she was younger. Anyway, it's old and something from my family history. I fired it with some low brass shells and discovered that both barrels tend to go off at the same time. Time to hang it on the wall! It's not a big collector but It's a piece of my family!

Attached Files:

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure a gunsmith could fix that for you.
    Nice looking gun.

3. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

These barrels look like false Damascus to me, but I am sure no expert. The rust looks much worse in the pictures than it actually is. I hear a lot about Damascus barrels being unsafe to shoot. My Grandmother told me that my uncle used to use this gun all the time for bird shooting. I see no bulges in the barrels, so It may be worth getting some work done on the action. As I said, you only dare cock one side at a time now if you like to use your sholder. Two 12's at the same time hurt!

Attached Files:

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Hell, one 12 gauge going off hurts :D
    Nice family heirloom. keep it!

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Damascus ("Pattern Welded") shotguns are perfectly safe to shoot if they're in good condition and you use the right ammunition. Don't stick magnum shells in 'em.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I have only fired it with low brass shells and birdshot. I took it apart once and the flat springs have just about lost all their tension. I suppose a gunsmith could re-temper them. You can put pressure under them with a small screwdriver and the sears seem to hold tight.

7. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Low brass shot shells should work OK. But why take the chance of splitting a barrel. Clean it up and display it. It has probably long out lived it's usefulness. It would look very cool on the wall.

8. 911JB

911JB Premium Supporter Member

IOWA
    A good cleaning of the sear/hammer, or a new sear spring may be in order. Sounds like the sear to hammer is either wore , dirty or needs a new spring. At least that is where I would start looking if it came into my shop.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

It doesn't take much of anything to blow a shotgun barrel, watched a friend banana peel one right next to me while dove hunting with a fairly new winchester pump one day and a little poof of cotton stuffing flopped out the end when it blew lol, aparently the bead had tore a hole in his gun bag and a piece smaller than a cotton ball got stuffed in there.

I'd say if it's been shot a few times and didn't blow there's no reason to worry if the barrels are clear. I seriously doubt those barrels are damascus, the action may be, but that isn't the weak point of a crack barrel gun anyway.

Be super careful when opening it up, I've seen way too many people break the butt right in two just flopping open a family heirloom while holding only the butt.

10. 911JB

911JB Premium Supporter Member

IOWA
    Some of the older double barrels are built like tanks. I have a Stevens 225 double hammer 12g that I have owned for almost 40 years now. When I was a pre teen my father got me into reloading. So I loaded up box after box of 12g. Long story short. When I was just into my teens I was hunting with that shotgun and some of those loads and had a squib. Somehow I did not realize it and reloaded the barrell. Next bird comes up and bang. No explosion of the barrel, no harm to the receiver, just a slight bubble in the right barrell. I still shoot that gun to this day and it still shoots great. So, like I said, SOME of the older stuff is really built tuff!!