Horrible Gun Saleman

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Nrod, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Nrod

Nrod Member

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is a common thread, I haven't spent much time on these forums yet. But did anyone else encounter complete and utter ******* salesmen when they went to buy their Hi-Point pistols?

The first shop I went to, I got halfway through a sentence and as soon as the words "Hi-Point" left my mouth the hyena behind the counter starting emitting ear piercing noises. She then went on to yell at me about how much of a mistake it would be to buy one and even got some of the other customers to join in.

The second shop started off great. Until again, I mentioned Hi-Point. They asked me "Is there any other reason than the price?". I told them I was genuinely interested to see how they perform and that they look fun to shoot. They put the other pistols I was looking at back in the case and went back to eating their lunch.

By the time I got to Gandermountain I didn't feel like explaining myself anymore or hearing about what a bad life decision I was making and just ignored the guy's questions and bought a JCP.

For anyone curious, I live in Indiana and have never been treated like this at mom and pop stores (or giant retailers). I recently turned 25 and decided to flex my second amendment rights for the first time. Something I mistakenly brought up at the stores, which I'm pretty sure contributed to the haranguing I was put through.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

2. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

This sounds almost word for word familiar......

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:nrod!!!
    Common story, don't feel bad!
    You oughta run on down to terrehauteguns.com, they sell a LOT of
    Hi Points there, and at Great Prices! Top Guns is also a good place,
    in fact, I am one of the folks that got them to carry the pistols, but
    they already had carbines. Neither place will laugh at you or try to
    get you to buy something else.

I read your first two places and said it sounds like Gouger Mountain,
    I have heard a lot of HP bashing in there, and actually mention
    HPs just about every time I go in there just to irritate them :D
    They are traditionally among the worst. ;) :D Someday I am
    gonna go in there and buy a JHP with price match, just to pi$$
    them off :rofl: ;) They claim to price match locally... :p

4. Nrod

Nrod Member

Well, Gandermountain was 10 bucks cheaper than both of those stores which I found kind of funny. The guy there just put a sad look on his face while he explained how prone to failures it is. I've shot 400 rounds so far with zero problems. It's funny, I almost want to buy nothing but hi points so I can annoy every gun snob I encounter.

And thank you for the tip, I'm looking to buy the .40 carbine and was hoping to talk to an enthusiastic salesmen (which I assumed people trying to make a living selling guns would be).

5. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

You're among friends here, Nrod. We're definitely not snobs. Ask Macho Melvin how much he enjoys his fine collection of Hi-Point products.

6. cruiser

cruiser Member

Some of these saleman are just jerks. Went into a store a couple months ago to buy a cleaning rod for my Gamo Silent Cat .77 air rifle. 2 of the salesmen literally started laughing at me. That thing is cheap and fun to plink with. Use the gold plated pellets and it cracks like a .22 as the pellet goes faster than the speed of sound. Dicks.....

7. I bought my first (of 3 now) Hi-Points last year. I'd heard and read about HPs but never gave them much thought. One day I was in a LGS that folks rave about (not sure why). The guy behind the counter was going on and on and on out loud about the JCP in the case. He made sure everyone in the store knew the pistol was ugly and clumsy. It was just an odd experience...retailer mocking merchandise he's selling. As it turned out, the loud mouth got me interested in HP. After that, I had to decide for myself what the fuss was about. I chalked up his attitude to ignorance...and I probably wouldn't have three HPs today if he was half as smart as he thought he was.

8. OkSlim

OkSlim Member

I just put them in my cart at Sportsmans Guide and they showed up about a week later.

Nothing tried to talk me out of it.

Buddies have given me nothing but grief. But that's a different story.

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Seems that Terre Haute Guns gets the 4095 in pretty regularly,
    and they stay around a bit. The 995's fly out pretty quick, and the
    4595 does too, but ewer of those come in. Mine was under $300
    ($285 iirc) but it was just a TSFG model. Pretty common, and
    less $ if it just has the FG on there. Forward Grip, in case you
    need to know that tidbit :D

10. Seems like the carbines don't get nearly as much flak as the pistols. When I took my ATI'd 995 to the range I got a couple looks of disgust, but had twice as many compliments.

11. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Two shops near here sell them, not a bad thing to say about them. Then there's Gander Mountain, also never heard them bad mouth them either. To more shops here will not carry them, but will order them for you, snickering and rolling their eyes while they do. I like to point out to them that my CF380 has never malfunctioned.

12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Yea, that's FUNNY!
    I feel the same way?

13. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

When I looked at the a Hi-Point 45 last year I was asked if I was strapped for cash and planning on using it to rob a 7-11.

When looking at my tired 995 last weekend, the salesman said to buy that thing quickly and if it had issues hi-point really stands behind their firearms. "They are ugly but they work really well" was the quote I believe.

While I was in there tonight he asked me how I liked it. Told him it had a few issues but I really liked it. Also it was on it's way to MOM for a refurbishment and it was a keeper.

14. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

gouger mountain only started selling Hi Points a short while back. If their sales staff feel this strongly about HP's, I wonder why gm started selling them anyways?
    If I was HP, I would quit selling them to gm & other stores that mock the almighty HP. Maybe then they could catch up on production, so the rest of you guy's can buy another one or two?

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I now have 3, all in the proper caliber, 45 ACP. I like them, yea they are a bit clunky but they go bang every time and put a hole in the target. The best part is I can buy 500 rds or more of ammo with what I saved on the price.

Disclaimer: My next purchase will be a 1911 as everyone needs at least one.

16. Sometimes you have to be rude, and tell people to take your money, and shut up. I have not had the problem in any gun store, guess I am lucky. But I usually come in, and know what I want. I have enough information, and background I don't need to ask questions other than how much, and what is your best price.

Just must be NC, but anytime I pull out the credit card, or cash the clerks fall all over themselves to give me the paper work before I change my mind.

Even when my wife bought her JA380, she said I want that one. The clerk quickly pulled the gun from the case, and handed her the paper work to fill out.

17. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

I completely agree that's why I bought one tonight :cool:

To be clear my first experience was in a local ma and pa gun store. Second was at cabela's.

18. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    Have to give props to A.J.I. Sports in Apache Junction, AZ.
    Hipoint and Bersa pistols are his number one sellers. They also have hundreds of rifles and pistols and revolvers and shot guns throughout the store. Must be over 4 or 5 dozen rifles of all kinds both new and used hanging on the walls. New ARs for under 500$. Crate of hex receivers Mosins. Antiques and DIY fixers.

The end of the glass display case towards the entrance has Hipoints under glass top shelf. The prices of the firearms do go higher as you go down the case right to left for over 20ft. With 3 more glass cases along the side and more in the center floor. Though his ammo prices are a bit high, but you can get just about any kind.
    The owner sells just about every thing related to the firearms industry.

Hmmm! Wonder if I can claim the store as a dependent.:)

19. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

One large shop I deal with won't buy or sell hi points.

20. the shop I buy mine from down here have never given me any issue. in fact, they are genuinely interested in the mods I've done to the jhp, and love the carbines. thats why they get my business. the dumbasses at dick's sporting goods give me the stinkeye when I mention I have a HP.