Horse suicide?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 22pistol, Dec 26, 2015.

1. One of my memories that the recent death of our Pom, Tanner, (see pets forum) was the relationship he had with one of our neighbors horses. We nicknamed him "Moby" because he was big and white and he kicked Tanner once. (Tanner was being protective of his domain and skattled his bad self across 200 yards of meadow to confront him) Neighbor heard the barking and saw Tanner sail about 30' across the pasture, he thought for sure that little 10# furball was dead. He seemed ok, limped a little more than usual for a week or so. So Tanner was his "
    "Ahab".
    My wife commented she had not seen Moby lately and wondered what had happened, so she contacted another neighbor and found that Moby had not only died but did so in an unusual manner: couple months ago, with the owners out in the pasture, he took off on a flat out gallop, and slammed chest first into a post on the far side of the pasture. He was dead by the time they got to him. He .was in good health, no known issues. The only thing was, in the 6 or so years they lived next to us, I've only seen them ride him or either of the other two horses they have once. They appear to be treated well. Food water shelter and all. But why would he do that?

2. Well first, sorry about the death of your horse. I'm not lucky enough to have any horses here, only dogs, and their passing usually crushes me.

I'm not clear if I'm following you. So, Tanner passed. Some time later, Moby passed by running full steam into a post. Is that right? If so, maybe out of grief over Tanner? In my mind, it's possible. Having been around dogs my entire life and worked as a trainer for a time, I've seen some incredible things.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    First Off, it was a neighbor's horse, which kicked 22's dog, Tanner.
    Tanner passed this month, Moby was before.
    :welcome:badmonk!

Attached Files:

4. yikes, i was way off...sorry 'bout that and real sorry about tanner.
    thanks for straightening that out for me.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So?? Tanner & Moby were best buds and Moby accidentally kicked Tanner causing Tanners death? Is that right? Yup, that horse offed himself. Couldn't live with the guilt.

6. Sorry for the confusion. Here is the question.
    Why would a horse run straight into a fence post and kill itself?

Ignore the story of the little dog.

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Because it has $hitty eyesight and everything's kinda blurry at full speed. It never saw the damn post.

Plus being distraught about his little buddy.

8. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    I saw a horse run full speed into a fence and cut itself pretty severely. It had found a Hornets nest and was trying to get away.

9. Wow! That's interesting. I wonder if that might have been it.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There's a reason the upscale horse ranches tend to use big white rails on their fences, and it isn't to make the fence easier to sit on.;)

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Horses cannot see straight ahead, that is why you will see a horse turning it's head from side to side. Horses have binocular and monocular vision. Their binocular vision is straight down their forehead to their nose and is used for grazing. Their monocular vision is used to see side to side. With its head up, a horse cannot see anything in front of it that is under the height of its nose.

Every Texan knows this. :)

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Don't be a Dic, PuP! :p

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8fwtkC5UJU[/ame]

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    That is the swing corridor for your "two-by-four"? :rofl:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBEmcluGLTc[/ame]
    Those CritterZ on "Pitch Black" that Vin Diesel killed were part HORSE? ;)

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Well I guess now I owe horses an apology. Sorry you're blind asses who run like teenage boys drive and everyone would be safer riding burros.

Happy?

You're recent moral police routine is getting old real quick.

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    Bet I can find a whole bunch up in Austin who have no clue...
    Oh, you don't count Austin, iirc :D

[​IMG]

:rofl: :D ;)
    S'okay, how about *Grammar Nazi* Instead? :cool: