Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure this has as much to do with survival as anything else, so I'm putting it here...

Starting soon I'm going to have to spend up to 8 weeks in hotel rooms. I already have some ideas about additional security...

1> 2 doorknob alarms, one for the main door, one for an adjoining room door or the window.
2> My own CO detector, not a usual fixture in most hotel rooms.
3> portable door security bar, goes from under the knob to the floor
4> charged cell phone
5> Glock 17
6> Inconspicuous bag to move all security devices/valuables to the car trunk when leaving for the day
7> situational awareness

Sounds a touch paranoid, but you never know. Any other ideas/input?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Situational awareness is a life plan and has been drilled into my head from the first day at boot. having been off active for eight years it is still a daily thing for me.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I figure this has as much to do with survival as anything else, so I'm putting it here...

Starting soon I'm going to have to spend up to 8 weeks in hotel rooms. I already have some ideas about additional security...

1> 2 doorknob alarms, one for the main door, one for an adjoining room door or the window.
2> My own CO detector, not a usual fixture in most hotel rooms.
3> portable door security bar, goes from under the knob to the floor
4> charged cell phone
5> Glock 17
6> Inconspicuous bag to move all security devices/valuables to the car trunk when leaving for the day
7> situational awareness

Sounds a touch paranoid, but you never know. Any other ideas/input?
That's a little excessive for my taste. If it works for you though, I say go for it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ugh, it wouldn't be excessive to you if you didnt have choice of hotels. If work is paying for it, and you go wherever is cheapest you can be in some really crappy places.

People knocking on your door at 3AM looking for coke/meth/whatever gets real old real fast.

Honestly, I'd add a shotgun. If you already have a large bag, you have room for it. I wouldn't want to depend on handgun calibers when dealing with drug addled crazies.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Ugh, it wouldn't be excessive to you if you didnt have choice of hotels. If work is paying for it, and you go wherever is cheapest you can be in some really crappy places.

People knocking on your door at 3AM looking for coke/meth/whatever gets real old real fast.

Honestly, I'd add a shotgun. If you already have a large bag, you have room for it. I wouldn't want to depend on handgun calibers when dealing with drug addled crazies.
If work was putting me up in crack dens, I'd probably carry a shotgun as well.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to pick, so I picked the nicest one I could find that would accept the government rates. Just never know what could happen.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If work was putting me up in crack dens, I'd probably carry a shotgun as well.
I've been really surprised at the number of people looking for crack at average looking hotels. In some cities, I don't think I could find one I could guarantee as "above all that".

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I've stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of cities and never had a problem...EXCEPT...

A couple of years ago my wife and I stayed at a cheap hotel in Topeka, Kansas. It was getting late; we were hungry and tired. We've stayed in all kinds of hotels and never had a problem, so we didn't think about it. It was across the street from the restaurant we ate at, the vacancy sign was on, and it was close.

About 1 A.M. somebody tried to break down the door. I took my 9mm off the night stand and sat up in bed. I looked over to my left--and there was my wife sitting up in bed with her .380 in her hand. We just quietly sat there and waited. After a minute the person gave up and left. When we looked at the door, the lockset had failed and the privacy lock above it was all that kept the door closed.

For those of you who get all gung-ho over this stuff, my wife and I were relieved the door held and we didn't have to shoot an invader.

I think the Glock is the most important thing on your list.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I've stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of cities and never had a problem...EXCEPT...

A couple of years ago my wife and I stayed at a cheap hotel in Topeka, Kansas. It was getting late; we were hungry and tired. We've stayed in all kinds of hotels and never had a problem, so we didn't think about it. It was across the street from the restaurant we ate at, the vacancy sign was on, and it was close.

About 1 A.M. somebody tried to break down the door. I took my 9mm off the night stand and sat up in bed. I looked over to my left--and there was my wife sitting up in bed with her .380 in her hand. We just quietly sat there and waited. After a minute the person gave up and left. When we looked at the door, the lockset had failed and the privacy lock above it was all that kept the door closed.

For those of you who get all gung-ho over this stuff, my wife and I were relieved the door held and we didn't have to shoot an invader.

Great. Now I'll never sleep in a hotel room again.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Great. Now I'll never sleep in a hotel room again.
A good testament to the saying: Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

·
Banned
4,876 Posts

I used to live in Topeka what hotel was this??

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
This used to happen a lot more than people knew. Slowed down a bit with all the cameras placed in halls and stairwells. Always carry.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
...I used to live in Topeka what hotel was this??
I don't remember. On the south side of town, across from a WalMart. We were eating at a restaurant near the street with the WM at the back of the parking lot and noticed 2 hotels across the street. The one nearer the street had 'No Vacancy' but the one behind it (the one in back was single story) still had rooms available. I think there was a a sign or two with prices posted--they were low prices but we just wanted to get some rest.

I don't know if that helps narrow it down, but it's been about 2 years and it's the best I can do...

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
I know the area, I was more curious of the area, that's not a bad part of town but you just never know. Glad it didn't turn out bad.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
nice list, and i would add a shotgun.

the noise from a pump action can send a serious message.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts