Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fan of HP and own a 380 & 40. Been thinking about a carbine that I can trick out with an ATI stock, laser, scope, bipod, etc., as I have seen some great looking mods on this site and the other HP forum.

For bench rest shooting say at 100 yards, how OOTB accurate are they compared with other similar carbines? What ammo brand seems to be the most consistent? When shooting competition, how does the HP fare?

I am aware of the low price and how many other shooters pooh pooh anything made in the USA, and think that you have to spend thousands to get a good gun it seems, with the possible exception of the fabulous Henry rifles.

Any and all comments will surely be welcome to one who is considering his third HP in 6 mos. Yep, a relative noobie here...except that I shoot 2-3 SASS 3-4-gun matches most every month, am a NRA CRO so very familiar with firearms. My wife who is also a SASS CRO, keeps asking "what will you use if for?"..."or are you just buying it because BHO hates it?" Not sure what my answer is on this, but she does not object per se. Just likes to see all our guns get regular use. Ok, I'll shut up now and let you all put in your 2 cents worth....
BC

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Well I don't know about comparing it to any other rifle but here's a couple pics for you.

These are at 50 yards, open sights using a bench rest. The second one I did as fast as I could sight it & shoot.

This one is open stance, 3 rnds at each bullseye.

This was 40 rnds at 25 yards using my elbow resting on the table & sort of squatting.

I really love shooting my 995. Next time I get to the outdoor range I'll set up a good target at 100 yards & see how it does both standing & resting.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I am a fan of HP and own a 380 & 40. Been thinking about a carbine that I can trick out with an ATI stock, laser, scope, bipod, etc., as I have seen some great looking mods on this site and the other HP forum.

For bench rest shooting say at 100 yards, how OOTB accurate are they compared with other similar carbines? What ammo brand seems to be the most consistent? When shooting competition, how does the HP fare?
Don't remember which magazine I read or at which forum they talked about it, but the 995 is suppose to group about half the size of the Baretta CX-4 Storm at 100 yds. shooting the same ammo. I shot mine earlier this week for the first time and was really impressed and so was my buddy. He said his next purchase was going to be a 995. His AR build was going to have to wait a little longer.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
so its Better at 100 yards then the storm ??

better meaning closer more accurate shots ?
Yes, the 995 held a group to about half the size of the CX4 Storm according to the review. When I shot this last week for the first time, using only open sights and just supporting myself using the table top. I could hold a group of 2" or less using WWB. That was only on the 25 yd range. The guy next to me had one with a red dot on it and he was shooting a group tight enough in 10 rounds to take the 1" dia bullseye completely out.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Don't remember which magazine I read or at which forum they talked about it, but the 995 is suppose to group about half the size of the Baretta CX-4 Storm at 100 yds. shooting the same ammo. I shot mine earlier this week for the first time and was really impressed and so was my buddy. He said his next purchase was going to be a 995. His AR build was going to have to wait a little longer.
Why am I not surprised that Beretta is charging way to much for an only average product? They're like the HK wannabes. HK stuff might be ridiculously overpriced, but at least it will shoot straight.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I can say this because there were about 5 others on this board present:

I was hitting a 4x 6 foot piece of steel 7/10..... at 300 YARDS!!  Sure, it's no 5 inch group, but at that distance I could hit a deer/human sized target if I had to and put rounds where it counted. And in the real world this DOES matter when you need it.

Granted the video we tried to get didn't come out so good, because ElGuapo's camera only had a 3x zoom at 640x480 (about the same as everyone else's camera there... his had more memory and was nicer than mine at the time :p

But these rifles DO perform.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts