How are you prepaired?

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by greg_r, Sep 7, 2014.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

We all have our survival scenarios. Curious to see what yours are. Here are mine.

When traveling I keep water, blankets, a first aid kit and a modest amount of food. I have been stranded three times while traveling, once with my family and twice during my career as an OTR truck driver. All in snow, never more than two days.

I work away from home. Ideally if something happens I will simply drive home. I realize that may not happen so I keep a minimum 72 hour supply as I figure that will be how long it takes to walk home. At the apartment I keep a weekly supply of food, replenished weekly. In addition I keep an ALICE pack equipped with protein bars, first aid kit, water purification kit, shelter and bed roll.

At home, it's more of the same, just larger quantities. Canned goods, dry goods and enough seeds for next year's garden. A 90 day supply of medications. In the event of social unrest I have hardened the entry points to my home. Bugging out is really not an option as the wife has that a heart attack and part of her heart has atrophied. The exertion would probably kill her. Besides I really don't know where I would go, I'm already pretty rural here.

2. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Having an emergency survival kit in the car or truck when driving during the Winter in some States, makes sense. Having an emergency survival supply at home in case of a 2-3 week extended power failure makes sense. Having a survival SHTF or Armageddon, that is going to last for several months or longer makes no sense. You can't store enough to survive that long. Especially if family members who did not plan for it, move in. Of course you could lock them out and let them die. Then if you need certain meds to stay alive, a entirely new problem arises. Those who are going to "bug out" to some Cabin in a remote part of the U.S. Same scenario. You can't take enough supplies with you to last a long term disaster. Going to leave some family members behind and let them fend for themselves? Roads and highways are going to be jammed with traffic and vehicles out of gas. Short term, 2-3 months, stay at home preparation, OK. Longer than that, forget it.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    OPSEC Rules!
    Many may not want to broadcast this info...
    IMO listing your weapons is against OPSEC as well.

Attached Files:

4. Dang it's nice to know we did it wrong for all of those years. We should have never put up enough food to last through the winter and spring until the crops started to come in and have a bit left over for the droughts and late freezes. Guess it made no sense.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Right now I have a small pack with 4 .5 liter bottles of water, 4 granola bars (they don't melt in the heat), flashlight, multi-tool, small first aid kit, knife, and a ball cap. It would take me at most 2 hours to walk home from work. No firearm right now, but if the situation started to deteriorate I would add my CZ and 10/22. Don't want to get in a fight want to avoid one and get home.

My future plans are to get a slightly larger pack and add a few extra items such as water purification, a bit more food, rain gear, and a Hi Point 45 with a few extra mags. I do need to add some fire starting stuff also.

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

We always have enough at home to last until the next growing season, guess it's a rural vs city.

7. When I was in Minot they had us keep a weeks supply of food, candles, and cans. Along with blankets for everyone who would be in a vehicle in case of blizzards or breakdowns in the remote areas.

Yeah I grew up on farms in the hills. Other then salt and spices,along with baking powder we didn't buy much outside foods. For meats we ate what we hunted or raised. We were a lot healthier and happier then.

The city folk are too used to having the store a block down the street to pop into all of the time. :D :p

8. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Comparing that to a National meltdown, Marshall law, people stealing food, water, money, people breaking into homes, rampant crime on the streets, gun confiscation, no gas, no electricity, no phones, Come on - think it through.

9. Yep it makes it more important doesn't it?
    We already have the stealing and breaking into homes.

What is your answer then? Curl up and die?

Last time I checked the FEMA site they were recommending up to six months supply.

10. Yep I have for years. Around here the electricity goes out so often it's pitiful.
    Storms often make going to town dangerous for weeks at a time.

Are we supposed to depend on the government to save us? Looking at the rest of the world where things like this have happened I wouldn't hold my breath. Even minor disasters knock emergency service's to it's knees.

Any event that affects the transportation system will cause almost immediate shortages. Most grocery stores have less then three days stocks on hand. Look at what happens before a storm. The shelves go bare instantly. With on demand stocking there isn't even that much more of a reserve in the distrabution centers.

The entire system depends upon an efficient and available transportation system to keep necessaries available.

Simple triage procedures compounded with experience tells me that low population rural regions such as I live in will be way down on the priority list.

11. Back2School

Back2School Member

Not trying to argue, but many people believe in being prepared, and not just for the scenarios you outlined.

Imagine the security you would feel if you had 6 months salary in the bank? Any scenario where the banks fail means money wouldn't have any value anyway.
    Now imagine if you also had 6 months food and water storage in your house.

Lose your job? With NO government assistance, you could go that long without needing help. Now add in the govt assistance that IS available, and you should feel safe knowing everything is taken care of.

Am I there yet? Nope.
    Am I trying to get there? Yes!
    Discipline is hard, especially for those of us trying to learn it later in life.

12. water is the issue I have, there is a spring nearby the house. Actually several but they are on private property. Neighbor has a pool. I suppose he will be sharing water with me. :)

Other than that I don't like talking about preps.

I do carry a small bag in the truck that has some food and a canteen of water as well as a couple of potentially useful items if I have to hoof it home. Anything over a days walk takes things into an entire different realm.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    @ChromeHorn13 (thanks for the "thumbs up"!)

A "get home bag" is a great idea, and discussing it is useful.
    I was not saying anyone in particular was saying too much,
    just a general pointer about OPSEC.

Other "get home strategies" call for keeping nearly a full tank
    of gas as much as possible, (good idea for ME) and some extras
    in the vehicle if one has to walk, etc. Better shoes for me, is a plus.
    I have steel toed boots for work, not bad there, but walking 50
    miles in them is definitely a bad idea.

14. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

I'm storing up fat for the apocalypse.

15. Back2School

Back2School Member

I am right there with ya. No one is gonna take that from us, and the high fat content in us would make the healthy folks avoid eating us in favor of more lean meat :D

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

The vegans will starve first.... ...... I might start looking thin after a month.... But I get Hangry...... Start acting starved after bout 4 hours. Might eat me a vegan and see if they're like free range chicken!

17. So what do you have to lose by stocking up on essentials? maybe a few more dollars tied up in things you will need anyway? I don't see a downside to having a storage supply. Living in Florida, we have annual resupply reminders because we have a high potential for regular service interruptions.
    If you are trying to outlast an infinite period of time before you are able to resupply, you are going to die, but if you plan ahead you have a better chance of survival than not planning ahead.
    My plan is simple: stock up for the normal issues, and prepare to resupply when I can how I can. ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  18. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

How does that go? We are 9 meals away from cannibalism.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I gotta disagree, Army Scout. Several months simply isn't that hard to take care of, if you build up to it. Canned stuff, dry pasta sealed well from bugs and moisture, dry milk, rice and beans, canned butter powder, dry eggs and such...they all keep well. If you rotate it, meaning you eat the old stuff and replace it with newer stuff, it just stays ready. I have Dutch ovens and know how to use them over a fire, or under coals, so as long as I can find fuel and water to cook with...the hardest part if the infrastructure is destroyed...I can keep fed for a good long while.

I live in a rural area, roving bands of predators will be dealt with by the local community in a very abrupt manner, and I have 1600 square feet of cool dry storage in my basement, and what I don't have I can trade for with my neighbors. I can easily keep a years supply of basics.

And I do.;)

As to the car...we are often 30 miles from any occupied house in our drives to "town" no matter which way we go, and could easily be stuck at 9000 feet with a good long day or two walk home, if it isn't dropping a few feet of snow on you. We take car packs seriously. Carry extra fluids, tools, blankets, fire starters, jackets, even boots in winter. There's the MREs under the seats, and of course...arms.;)

20. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm heavily armed, live next to a river & have fat tasty neighbors. I'm good to go.