How bad are factory BLEM

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Feb 2, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

I can get a factory BLEM Kahr CM40 for about $30 less than the non-blem gun. Anyone ever buy a factory blem to save a little money? I mean, how bad can it be from the factory?

2. I suspect that not all blems are created equal..... :D

3. Frankie_s

Frankie_s Member

Usually it's the roll marks not being stamped straight or light scuff marks .

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I bought some Cold Steel brand training knives with "blemishes" which I never could figure out where the blemish was.

YMMV.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. I have thought about that, i see them on the Taurus revolver section of buds all the time. the review usually states they are in great condition, and simply some scuffs or small scratches.
    That being said i imagine you are on your own if your not happy with it. But you could probably sell it as a "used" on arms list and get close to your money back

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, I'm thinking as long as they didn't spin out on it or anything it would be ok for me. And I don't plan on reselling it, even if I don't like it! There's always some place to put it. If they still have one when I'm ready to buy, I'll get one.

7. If i was in the market for a gun and saw a blem model for $30 less id take it and grab some ammo on an spare mag and feel like i got them free :p

8. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, the mags are $30 ea, plus shipping, so basically $50.

9. 0311

0311 Member

My son bought a Taurus revolver BLEM from Ky. Gun Co. Had a very small machine mark up near the hammer. Hardly noticeable at all. Was quite a bit cheaper & still had the factory warranty. ( Except for the finish, of course).

Cosmetic flaws would be ok with me if the price is right.

Funny thing is, he worked on it with some files & progressive grits of sandpaper & it all but disappeared. Took maybe 15 minutes.

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Are you going to shoot it or enter it in a beauty contest? :D
    Most blems are things you and I would probably never notice unless it was pointed out to us.
    I've got a Colt that I got as a blem, I searched all over it to find the blem and couldn't. Finally had someone I know that is a fanatical Colt collector look at it... turns out the rampant Colt was not evenly roll marked on the frame and was not imprinted as deep on one end as it was on the other so the inspector failed it on the QC check.

11. bluharley

bluharley Member

That's what I'm figuring. It's not perfect, so it gets rejected. Like I said, if they still have one when I'm ready, I'll get one. They only have a few left.

12. norham

norham Member

My 4595TS came with factory stock blems at full retail. The one on the receiver cover was professionally touched up with a black magic marker. These had no impact on it's flawless performance, even while using Promag and reloads. I'm very happy with this gun....

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If it's bad enough, it's a good excuse to practice your refinishing skills.

14. Asher1

Asher1 Member

^^^^
    That cost extra.. ;)

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I bought a complete PSA AR lower, and there was nothing that I could see that was blemished. The same went for a stripped lower that I bought from them. Blems are the way to go if you want to save some dough.