How big of power inverter

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by deadrockcommando, Feb 7, 2016.

1. getting new power inverter how big ? thinking of 3kw/ 6kw surge what are you guys and gals using
    I have 2 generator's but they make noise, I only live 150yrds from state hwy
    so it would be heard . battery's are no problem can get them

goal run fridge, or furnace not same time just be able to power them up .

2. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I've got 5 deep cycle batts attached to a 50W solar panel. This is just to keep them trickle charged. If the SHTF I have two 250W panels as substitutes. I hook them to a 2500W/4000W surge inverter. Last winter, we lost a transformer in the hood and of course the lights went out for 4 hours. I was able to run a 65in TV for the 4 hours with only a 3% drain on the batts. I was almost to the point of hooking up the freezer and frigs to the system when the lights came back on. I can't really give you a good estimate of the power drainage for them. A Frig or freezer only needs to be run for half hour or so every so many hours to keep stuff good and cold. The inverter worked flawlessly. You can research inverters on the web and get the specs on what they can handle. They even list typical appliances in the charts. Personally, I would only use the batts for the survival stuff. In the real scenario the TV would be the last item on the list. As for generators, a Honda EU2000 or similar Yamaha will handle most anything you need to power. They are way quieter and will run 12 hrs at 1/2 load. You can also put them in a wooden or metal box and take about 75% of that noise away. Just give them an air source. Put it down in a hole and cover the top and even more noise is gone. Yes, they are pricey. I got one off CL for $400. It was in primo shape, less than 50 hrs. Just start it up and watch the lights. The light blinks once for every 50 hrs ran over the initial 50 hrs of run time. i use it at our ranch in southern CO and on our boat and it even runs the A/C in the 5th wheel. Albeit it strains. For hot days, I use the 5500W Onan in the trailer. It's propane, hooked to a 250 gl tank. You can make anything work, but I personally would go for the solar first and foremost. If everything solar dies due to no sun, you can then go to the gens. Just have plenty of gas handy. The bigger, the thirstier. Hope this helps. Good luck ;)
    P.S. As for the furnace, you would need a larger gen. You can get the house wiring set up to plug it in. I'm not qualified for that, but have thought about it.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sounds like plenty, but Bigger is always Better...
    Provided the battery bank is matched, or larger.
    I'd look up a sizing guide, and use the conservative ratings,
    meaning "bigger is better" again :rofl: :D ;)

MaryB is doing this already...

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    My furnace only has a 1/4HP blower motor, and flue blower, plus controls...
    I'd call it like 1/2HP max, so maybe 500w total draw? That is 1/2kW, which
    is not a big deal. It's a gas furnace. Now Electric Furnaces can be a big
    electric load, maybe 25kW??? :eek:

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

6. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Yes, but what's the surge at startup on that furnace motor?

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    Good Point, the engineering rule of thumb is to figure
    at least 5x run current, so I'd say 1500w surge. This
    can be alleviated with capacitors on the AC side, also.
    Figuring 3kW surge on a bigger one, he's still fine. It's
    also over very quickly.

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm still patiently waiting for the invite to Outlaw's ranch. I should probably finish detailing his trailer and give it back to him first... LOL

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Ya Think!!! :D

10. Its a gas furnace , .5(1/2 hp) blower

11. Thanks all good info I have 7kw/10kw and 3kw/5kw gen's just would like to run silent if need be .

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Come on down! It was -12 degrees there couple nights ago. And of course the wind was howling :D

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm cold natured. If I could get away with keeping a window open at night when I sleep, I would.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'd figure 5-6x actual HP rating of the blower for starting load, and
    double it for run loads. The motors are quite inefficient and they list
    the OUTPUT horsepower. Input in watts is a bit higher than
    output in HP. One HP = 746 W but works out around 1kW per HP
    (1000 watts in for 746 watts out) Higher efficiency is easily done
    it just cost more $ :rofl: