Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be pickin up some 9mm and .40S&W hollow points and want to do some tests on all of the ammo.
I want to test which of each caliber expands the largest and which goes the deepest, and which is the best combo of the two.
Does anybody know anyways I can do this on my own?

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are the test tubes one time usage things or what?

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NVM, seems you can re-melt the material and recast it into a mold.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You only get one shot per casting though right?

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While that would probably be the coolest way, I guess I'll do the newspaper idea. How do you do that?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Using milk jugs with water isn't a good judge of expansion properties of hollow point ballistical tests for one main reason. The properties of water are such that it does not compress. So, by shooting a HP bullet into it, the water, not being able to compress, will acutally make the bullet over perform and expand to a larger size because of it's inability to expand. What this will do is give you a false positive in any ballistical test you perform with water as your testing medium. As a direct result of this, your penetration performance is also going to suffer drastically because of it, as water would greatly affect the velocity of the bullet due to the over expansion of the projectile itself.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
While that would probably be the coolest way, I guess I'll do the newspaper idea. How do you do that?
stack wet newspaper in a box that will hold them upright. shoot on the flat of the pages, not on teh edges. i used old cardboard boxes and stacked them full of paper, then let them soak overnight in a rubbermaid tub of water. in the morning drain the water off, go to teh range and shoot. ive also seen guys make re-useable wooden boxes as well.

SW

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
For comparing the expansion and penetration between several loads, almost any soft squishy medium will work. That is, you have a somewhat repeatable standard to apply to them and compare the effects. Mythbusters fondness for it aside, ballistic gelatin merely simulates the average density of human tissue so a repeatable result can be arrived at through testing. It may or may not have any semblance to what happens in a real world shooting.

Human Beans and animals are made up of soft tissues, denser tissues, and very hard bones of varying thickness and brittleness. Additionally, people usually wear clothing which can vary from a thin cotton shirt to multiple insulating layers of coats and such, animals often have fur and/or a very tough skin. Two shots just an inch apart into the same torso may show widely different results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts