how do you do the crayon thing ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by fattie, Mar 2, 2008.

1. fattie

fattie Guest

i tried to fill in the lettering with a white crayon and made a mess. am i doing something wrong ? how did you guys do it ?

2. unclerob

unclerob Member

Here is a post on this forum of a really nice job using a tiny bit of paint.
    Not exactly what you asked for, but it is worth a look.
    He explains how he did it too.
    http://tinyurl.com/28x8vm

3. They make a special crayon for guns to fill in the lettering. You let it dry and then wipe off the excess with mineral oil. Comes out looking pretty good,

http://www.laco.com/ProductDetails82.aspx

I do not rememer what gun site I got it at, it worked really well on the carbines and good on the pistols

4. fattie

fattie Guest

oh ok , i tried it with a crayola lol. i just used some of my break free to get it all off. i guess i like it better all black anyway , thanks guys

5. BSK

BSK Guest

that looks pretty neat in white

6. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

I've seen white out used as well.

7. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    Guys over on RFC do it with white or red Crayolas all the time. Maybe works there because it's a smooth surface with the imprinted letters.

8. I have every color available in the Lacquer Sticks from Brownells...works alot better:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778&title=LACQUER-STIK~

Hi-Lights Engraving, Stamped #'s And Names

Highly specialized compound wipes on to bring out stamped or engraved impressions on ALL smooth surfaces. Ideal for guns, parts, accessories. Semi-solid in stick form when used, but soon hardens and becomes permanent.

SPECS: 4-5/8" (11.7cm) long. Red, White, Gold, Black or Silver.

Catalog page 275

9. I have used white out on my XD which has a smooth surface. It looked good for a while but wore off to soon for me. I don't think I would try it on my Hi-point pistol.

10. Thanks Joe, that is where I got my white sticks from. I could not remember to save my life.

I wish I could take close up pics good, the sides of my carbines look really nice after using the sticks, and it stays on very well.

I also used it on my Hi Point pistols and my MN's and Mausers.

Defnitly worth the couple bucks a stick, and one stick goes a long long way. I did 2 HP carbines, 3 HP pistols, 4 MN's and 4 Mausers with one stick and still have plenty of that stick for anything else I may want to do.

11. I used nail polish on mine and that really good

12. Yup, good stuff the best way to do it...lasts forever....

13. mrgrinch233

mrgrinch233 Member

I used crayola green on my SW MP40 after I media blasted the slide and its been on there for well over 2000 rounds. I heated slide with a blow dryer and rubbed crayon and wiped with a rag.
    [​IMG]