Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any pictures of their accuracy with the stock sights on a 995? I haven't got to practice much, but I think plinking seems a little out of the question with the size of the front pin.

And on another note, has anyone filed that pin skinnier to get a better target picture?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went to the range the other day with the wife to let her get some rounds off with her new Sig. Brought my PT145 and 995 long for the ride. She ended up not doing too bad with the 995.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the stock sights were good enough for what I need the carbine to do.
I wanted to try to get into coyote calling next year, and I wasn't sure how I would do with one from maybe 45 yards.

I'm a good shot with V sights on my 30-30, but was a little uncomfortable with the peep.

That being said I would like to find a riser for a scope to go over the rear sight, but I can't. And choosing between a scope or open sights, it's open sights for me hands down for the 995. It's my bedside/brush gun.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I'm not doing anything to my 4095. this is at 25 yd give or take a couple of feet. Standard size playing card. sling used for support.

eta: 10 shots

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
HP has excellent sights, good enough for an Appleseed event since they are fully adjustable. Tryed red and scope on a 995 and frankly the sights just work better in a lot of ways. Get some sight paint to really make they shine.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I painted it red with nail polish. I like it.

Anyone tried filing the post a little skinnier to get a little more accuracy?

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I would if I thought I could be precise enough, but I'm no machinist. I did the post in fluo orange. Sometime ago, somebody posted a pic of what they'd done, I think. instead of filing, I just adjust the sights to where the POI is right at the top of the post. Works for me. Y'all are right, keep them sights open.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I hate red dots I am glad that im not the only one that is for sticking with the open sites. As far as accuracy I can keep it on a pop can at 25yards and destroy a paperplate at 50yards :D.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
What range are you looking for?? I have some 25 yd targets. I will upload then when I get home. If you want further ranges let me know and I will get some done. Give me a reason to go to the range!!!!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I hate red dots I am glad that im not the only one that is for sticking with the open sites. As far as accuracy I can keep it on a pop can at 25yards and destroy a paperplate at 50yards :D.
There is just no replacement for a good set of sights and the skill to use them. Your field of vision is better, you can react faster, the only issue is that as you age your eye sight tends to fade so if I shoot long, 150 yards or more, I need the scope. Hate it cause I used to be able to count the hairs on a flys leg at 300 yards damit.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Supported, I can destroy a pie pan at 100 yards with my open sights. Head shots at 100 yards open sights, That'll do!! I love 'em! :cool2:

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What range are you looking for?? I have some 25 yd targets. I will upload then when I get home. If you want further ranges let me know and I will get some done. Give me a reason to go to the range!!!!
I was hoping for 50 in the kill zone of a coyote.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I don't like any of the peep sights. Too hard for me. Sorry. :embarrassed2:

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^I'm 23 too, and I have noticed mine is a little worse too. When I was 16 I used to score way over average on eye tests. Like 20/40 in both eyes. I can tell its not that good any more though.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I love the peep sights on my 995. I'll wait till I get the 4595 & I'll put a 6x32 scope I have on that & see how I like it.
You want to see targets, well here you go.

50 yrds on a bench rest fast as I could sight & shoot.

50 yrds free standing, 10 shots at each bullseye.

25 yrds resting my elbow & squating over the table at an indoor range. That's 40 rnds in the target. Count the holes if you can.

12 yrds freestanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found that the shroud got in the way of adjusting the stock peep, so I went to a red dot sight. Much more accurate. Enough that my daughter's boyfriend got the message when I left the target out for him. Lol. Anyone else have a problem with the shroud getting in the way of the front sight?

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found that the shroud got in the way of adjusting the stock peep, so I went to a red dot sight. Much more accurate. Enough that my daughter's boyfriend got the message when I left the target out for him. Lol. Anyone else have a problem with the shroud getting in the way of the front sight?
Must be a special problem for yours, I don't have anything in the way.

I agree with you that the red dot is easier and more accurate, but about the first time you walk into the woods and the battery dies on you and a coyote or deer or whatever runs out your gonna be pissed. I happened to me with my shotgun once. Now all my guns have either iron sights or a regular scope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts